Tuesday, August 27, 2024

The Excitement Builds

 Today, Tim lightly sanded and used the tack cloth on the walls, and I gave them a second coat of polyurethane. It looks pretty nice. 

Pixie asked about the advisability of using wood on the walls. The only room with the wood walls is the livingroom. It kind of curls around to the entrance. I'll take a picture to explain at some point. The rest of the house is painted drywall. Timber walls are not an issue in our minds to prevent decorating the walls. If you notice, there are grooves between each of the planks. That's where we would install the nails for the picture hangers. (No walls will be hurt in the decorating process.) 

Tim worked on his food plot for a while, and one of the kittens approached him to be fed, which was interesting. 

We waited until it was good and hot to do our next project after the finishing the walls. We drove the truck down the hill and we pulled the cupboards that we bought probably 3 or 4 years ago. I knew that I loved them when I saw them, but then, when things are tucked away for many years, I forget just how much I loved them, and why I loved them. These are nice cabinets. I still love them, thankfully.

Just to refresh your minds, a tornado struck the small town of Starbrick several years back. We were in Washington DC at the time, and so we missed all the hubbub. But one of the houses badly damaged belonged to our friend, Terry. Two trees fell on his house. The kitchen was fine, but as long as he was having the rest of his house fixed up, he decided that he'd never really liked the layout of his kitchen. He decided to tear it out and redesign the whole thing. 

Knowing that we stockpile stuff for rentals, he asked if we wanted to buy the cupboards. At $500 for a nice kitchen, we immediately said yes. It was a bit of a rush job, but we got the stuff loaded up, hauled to the old house where we were storing the stuff for the new house, unloaded everything, and then headed back and did the whole process once more. 

A few months later, we had a bad storm and two trees blew down on the old house where we were storing the cupboards. "Hmmmmmm," I said. "Perhaps these cupboards have some bad juju..." Tim does not believe in juju, bad or otherwise. 

So. Anyways, we got everything into the new house, and I will spend tomorrow with Murphy's Oil Soap cleaning them all up. They are gorgeous. I forgot. I like them a lot. That was a good buy. 

Other than that, there is not much to report. 

My daughter-in-law mentioned that tomatoes are $22 a half bushel where she lives. She was well and truly shocked. They've had a much drier summer than we have and so it didn't surprise me, not really. Anyways, I stopped in and talked to Albert, our produce guy. Quite serendipitously, he is headed to an Amish produce auction tomorrow evening. They bid on the produce, but he felt that he could get me two bushels of tomatoes for between $16 and $20 a bushel. 

If he can get them, I'll be headed east to meet up with my son's family halfway. I'll get grandma time with the littles and I'll get to hear all about school. The oldest is, for the first time, in a different class from her very best friends. 

When I was there for her birthday, she told me about these sad circumstances. 

I said, "I learned something about you at your party. Want to know what it was?" 

She was very curious.

I said, "Well, I learned that you are a very friendly girl who has a very nice circle of friends that she loves, and who love her right back. So I think that what will happen when you walk in that classroom is that you will find new friends to add to that circle. You will enlarge your circle of friends. And that is not a bad thing."

She listened very intently to this. 

Her first day of school was yesterday, and I sent her a little message via her mother's chat. I made four predictions: 1) that her teacher was very nice. 2) that she made new friends. 3) that she had a great day at school and 4) that her little sister was very happy to see her getting off the bus a the end of the day. 

I was right on all four things. She typed back to me all by herself and it began, 'Dear Grandma. You were right! I did enlarge my circle of friends.' 

I'll treasure that little message forever. 

And if everything goes right, I'll have a chance to hear these fine stories in person on Friday or Saturday. I'm very excited about this.

25 comments:

  1. The way you manage your interactions with your grands is so lovely. I’m excited to see your kitchen cabinets! I read in awe of your building process. So glad your blog is back open. I found you a little before you closed it, and so appreciate your sharing. It gives me a quiet hope, and a sense of grounding. That might be too heavy , but that’s what I feel today. Thank you. Olivia in the PNW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get to see them as often as I want, and always, always, there is a mindfulness when I do get to see them. How can I make this event memorable? How can I establish a place in their lives?

      Delete
  2. You are a wise Grandma to give confidence to a young child in their school activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every child should have someone to give them confidence. In a perfect world, EVERYONE that child knows should be giving them confidence.

      Delete
  3. What wise advice to the little ones. Are you sure you don't need to build some reinforements above those kitchen cabinets? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Do NOT think this has not occurred to me. It surely has!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to see more pictures. I sort of believe in bad juju.... Linda may be right. I hope the tomato quest goes well and you get to see the grands in a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would be so fun. I have three adventures all in short order between now and September 10th. Throw in 4 birthdays and this is quite an exciting month.

      Delete
  5. I really want to see that kitchen now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lovely grandma/granddaughter vignette< 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those little moments. I store them up in my grandma heart and replay them when I need them.

      Delete
  7. Absolutely love the pine walls! Gorgeous. When we remodeled, we chose shiplap, and installed it horizontally. And we sure did use it because our walls were shite, some had wallpaper, etc. We love love the look, though painting it was a horror I plan never to do again. Had to paint the nickel gaps first, and even though it was primed, it took 3 coats of paint. Had a bit of sticker shock when we chose paint! But that is over, and we enjoy what someone told us is called the coastal modern look. I look forward to seeing your kitchen cabinets, and frankly, the entire house. Talk about a labor of love! Not many people can stand back and admire their work on an ENTIRE house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that, now (especially after the work table is out of the center of it, we have an idea of how much space we will have. That's exciting.

      Delete
  8. It's a shame I don't live closer to you Debby. I would give you all the tomatoes you want for FREE! I've given away as much as my friend base will take. After I fill the last case of new jars I bought, I'm going to rip them out and compost them. I may keep one for a fried green tomato pie sometime after the first killing frost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think you need to look up Donna (just me). She was mourning her tomato harvest. My sister got two tomatoes this year. She was very disappointed.

      Delete
  9. I didn't know you used bushels as a measurement and I have no idea what a bushel is. The internet is not being helpful, mentioning a comparison to a metric tonne. Surely you didn't buy half a tonne of tomatoes.

    I wonder if you will feel sad about leaving your old home to move into this new one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bushel is 4 pecks Andrew. Everyone knows that!!!!

      Your question made me think. I love our house, but it is more than we need, and well...I'm looking forward to a small house and less housework. This house is old and as a result, there are things about it which just don't work so well. There is something very exciting to carefully and mindfully designing your home to suit your own needs.

      Delete
  10. Oh goodness. Now I am very excited to see these cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to wait until those are cleaned up and set in place. I really like them a lot. Tim is, as usual, fretting about them.

      Delete
  11. A good, newsy and well written post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, AC. I've been enjoying your posts of late as well.

      Delete
  12. When we were remodeling our kitchen, we discussed the cabinet choice and then I saw an ad in the paper for a whole kitchen for sale. We looked at it and found it very nice and we could make it work in our kitchen. My husband was very handy and could do everything. It was a doctor and wife that were tired of the kitchen and planned to replace everything. We got all the cabinets, stove top, oven, microwave, Corian counter tops with a sink made in the counter with a drain board, dish washer and garbage disposal. The cabinet shelves were all roll out. We spent almost 2000.00 on the whole thing, appliances and all. I still use them today about 14 years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was an excellent deal. I'm not sure what we will use for counter tops yet. I know where I want to buy my sink. We need to buy a dishwasher. I thought I knew what I wanted to do as the back splash, but now I'm not so certain.

      Delete
    2. Most newer dishwashers do not have a rinse and hold in them now. I do miss that.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Interesting

The huge pile of dirt that was created when we had the basement excavated (it seems like a hundred years ago, but was actually a mere 16 mon...