Friday, August 9, 2024

Heading out.

The beadboard for the pantry is done. 

I've been gimping around. Tim has been going to the fair to meet up with friends and watch the tractor pulls. I've been staying at home resting my back. Something that made me laugh is this: Tim is not an animal person. He's just not. He never has been. And now, we've got a cat. And that cat has kittens. Because he is married to a sap, he's been going along with the feeding of the cats pretty patiently for a man who doesn't like animals. 

I wondered though. Back when we knew there were kittens but hadn't seen them yet, we were feeding a very bedraggled mother cat. Soon we'd catch a glimpse of a tiny kitten here or there. Finally I saw them all together and I said, "Well. We've got 4 kittens out there." And Tim's only response was "That's cool." 

I didn't expect that.

Anyways, he came home from the fair, and was telling me that he'd run into an old friend. He said, "I was telling Larry about those cats, and he was telling me about the pregnant cat that showed up at his place. They felt sorry for her and started feeding her because she looked so bad. She had her kittens, and they paid to have them all neutered just as soon as possible. They found homes for the mother and the kittens, but they kept the runt. Tim was laughing while he told me all the adventures that Larry and his wife have been having with this tiny little runt.

I laughed with him, but I can tell you, the idea that he'd sit and talk about the cats with an old friend is not something that I'd ever expect from him. 

The police are patrolling our street tonight. That's nice to see, but I don't expect that they'll catch these kids. They rarely do. In answer to Red's question, it really isn't at all surprising that we didn't hear the breaking glass. The picture window is in the office, which was the old front porch of the house. It was enclosed and turned into an extra room. Our bedroom is at the back of the house. Between there and the office, there is one exterior wall and two interior walls, plus a foyer with a long hall. So no. We did not hear a sound. 

I am heading out tomorrow morning, to my grandaughters' birthday party. William is riding out with me. Tim has decided to stay home. We probably have nothing to worry about, but we have a broken picture window. He's worried about someone prowling around. He's worried about further damage. He's worried about someone getting inside the house. He wants to be available if the police call. He wants to keep an eye on kids prowling around after dark. 

I won't be back until Monday at the earliest, but I'm kind of hoping to be there until Tuesday. My daughter in law has a project that needs doing and I think that it would be much easier for her to get it done if she had extra hands to help with the girls and with the job at hand. 

I won't be blogging until I get back. 

Rigmor? Check in, will you? 

14 comments:

  1. My younger brother used to vehemently proclaim dogs were for the outside not for indoors, which is fine if they are used to us and a kennel with bedding facing away from prevailing cold winds is adequate shelter in winter. But now he is on his fourth dog, the deaf white one, guess who has an indoor dog now. Animals can just wear you down over time. Enjoy your short break away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to see how Tim has warmed to cats!
    I can understand why he wants to keep an eye on things..our neighbour here has been picked on for years by young scallys, throwing eggs and stones and shouting...he comes from a village two miles away..and is a gentle giant...and has lived in the house here for over twenty of his 61 years, been around this village since he was 12, helping on the milk round from the farm by his old village where he still works 24/7...and the youngsters stop when they get old enough to have their collars felt by the police.. meanwhile encouraging younger kids to carry this on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I missed this picture window drama. I will read back.

    It's cool that the cats have wiggled their way under Tim's armor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debby! Greetings from Northern Norway, where I’ve been since late June! It’s been glorious, but there’s no doubt global warming is real - here above the arctic circle we’ve had plenty of days with around 90 degrees, and it’s actually been pretty humid too, which is very unusual. Lots of family, friends, and hikes… I’ll miss it all when I return to NY in a week, but I’m also looking forward to seeing my family, friends, and garden there. The best of both worlds, I’m very lucky and grateful! Enjoy your time with the grandkids! Xo, Rigmor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your time away.
    I smiled at your story of Tim and the cats. Will Sigh become part of your family eventually??

    ReplyDelete
  6. A tame kitten would probably steal his heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People who don't like cats are generally people who have never really been around them. From a distance they seem aloof and far less determined to please humans than dogs do but if you're around them for awhile, they surely can make their way into your heart.
    Have a good time at your daughter-in-law's house. I know she'll be grateful for the help.
    And I do really like the bead board and wall paper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vandalism does knock out your feeling of security.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will Tim be able to keep up the feeding schedule for Gaza and her babies?
    I hope you have a safe and fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love stories of men falling for cats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just catching up with you. My word, what a time you have had! I do hope they catch those vandals. Have a safe and joyous journey, Debby! I know you will have stories for us when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Lord, what a thing to wake up to, a vandalized window! I get why Tim wouldn't want to leave, my Hubs would be the same way; he would be so unnerved and want to protect our home. It's sweet how some men soften about things as they age; cats can steal hearts. I love the pantry! I love that it has a window, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although I grew up with dogs and cats, we have none now, mostly because we go on lengthy vacations and have nobody really around that would look after them while we were gone. Perhaps someday when the kids are grown and perhaps live nearby, I might get another pet.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Interesting

The huge pile of dirt that was created when we had the basement excavated (it seems like a hundred years ago, but was actually a mere 16 mon...