Saturday, August 24, 2024

Cat Tails.

 Tim was talking to a neighbor when someone else came over and said, "I've lost a cat. He's a long hair black cat." 

Tim said, mildly, "He's in our driveway right now. Go get him." 

I'd be quite interested to know who that fellow is. How, exactly he defines 'pet ownership'. Goblin is a cat who has been a stray for as long as we've been here. We tried to bring him inside a long time ago. Probably 10 years or so, but we couldn't do it. He did not want to be an indoor cat. He was most unhappy. So...reluctantly, we ceded to his demands and left him outside. 

We do feed him, however, and we've been feeding him for years. As soon as he hears a sound from the kitchen, he is at the back door, standing on his hind legs, peering in the window in a beseeching way. He looks like a hairy little goblin face with two hairy paws on each side. That's how he got his name. He gets 1/2 of a can of cat food at breakfast, and the other half last thing at night and believe me, he knows EXACTLY when it's meal time. There is a dish of dry kibble for nibbling on in between those two events, and he will be the first to tell you that he is not fed nearly enough. At the top of his feline lungs, he will tell you his sad story. 

So...this fellow, whoever he is, doesn't 'own' this cat. He's welcome to him, if he wants him, but Goblin will never be an indoor cat. We gave it our best shot. But if the man wants a fine outdoor cat, he only has to sit down with him and come to an agreement on the food situation. A full can of cat food morning and night would be enough to convince Goblin that the pickings are better on the other side of the fence. We would never see him again.  

The hairy mooch.

My brother-in-law and sister stopped in to see the painting at the new house and were impressed. I went down to show them the kittens. They agreed that they are cute, the ones that they saw anyway. Gaza came out, which surprised me. There were four of us standing there and two were men. She does not like men's voices. I sat down on the ground and she did her darting thing. I got a pet in, but that's about it. But still, I took it as a positive sign that she came to visit a crowd of people. 

My sister said, "That cat looks pregnant." I winced. Yesterday, when she hissed and took a swipe at me, I had put my hand in my lap, told her no, in a quiet way. I wanted to be sure that she understood that when she behaved like that, she would get no more pets. In a considering way, she flopped down and began to groom herself. She stretched out lazily in the evening sun, and I thought, 'My god. I hope she's just filling out from regular feeding...' 

Now my sister was standing there giving voice to my worst fears. I said, wearily, "Just what we need: more kittens."

My sister said, "That's how we ended up with 22 cats once."

My brother in law had been the head of maintenance at a church camp for many years. She said that people simply dumped pregnant cats off. They roamed the grounds freely and they were good mousers. They were nobody's cats, but they were everywhere. 

22 cats. 

The one thing that I know for sure is that the cat taming has to continue. I need to be able to pick up that cat, stuff her in a cat carrier and get her to the vet. If we don't, we will be up to our armpits in feral felines in the matter of a year. 

Late Edit: I forgot that I was going to post this: 



34 comments:

  1. Oh, Marcia, I'm not sure how I managed to delete your comment. Sorry! But the unfortunate thing is that we'll have to wait until after THIS batch of kittens to get her neutered now. Which means we'll have 9 or so. Honestly. Hopefully, once these kittens arrive, I'll let her do her mama thing and then it is off to the vet with her. I'll just keep working on building that trust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's OK ... grabbing a cat by the scruff of the neck isn't always easy ... Let's hope you can this next time around!

      Delete
    2. She is getting close for longer periods. If I just keep at it, I'll be able to get her tamed.

      Delete
  2. Oh my! I sure hope that cat isn’t pregnant- and if not, I hope you can catch it to get it neutered! I just don’t understand how people can dump their pregnant cats!☹️Best of luck to you.. xo, Rigmor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be my luck that she is. She will have to be trapped before this batch of kittens is weaned. Honestly. What a mess.

      Delete
  3. I once heard my favorite Irish group, the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, sing that little ditty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I just had a wander to google to listen to it. I would have never realized it was part of a song. Thanks for that.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for making your blog public again; I enjoy reading your posts so much! Another Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your gut and your sister are telling you that kitty is pregnant, I would trust that. It sounds like you have a plan of action though! My cat would love to get outside; the first year of her life she was indoor/outdoor when my daughter owned her. Then she came to live with me in a place where there are big dogs, raccoons, and sometimes coyotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see what can be done with these cats, but I need to slow down production.

      Delete
  6. We have seven cats and one called Kitty screeches at me at feeding time: " FEED ME" in cat language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are characters, aren't they?

      Delete
  7. Many years ago my mother used to work as the Deputy Warden for a sheltered housing development for elderly people. Her role meant going around visiting each of the occupant to make sure all was well. She got to know all the residents and knew pretty much everything about them. The only thing she could never work out was who owned which cat. These communally owned cats brought great happiness to so many. And the the smarter kitties grew to be very fat indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Jabblog are being most comforting to me today. Begone!!!! Away with you and your cheerful optimistic pictures of a feline paradise.

      Delete
  8. And the poem reminds me of the film " The Mouse that Roared"....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gave me a laugh. I didn't realize it was a song until Joanne pointed it out.

      Delete
  9. I had given up on clicking on your blog to be told it was private.....so pleased to see you back, but I have got a lot of catching up to do !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much. I'm only leaving a couple months up at a time.

      Delete
  10. Your fears confirmed and her kittens are growing and will soon be doing what comes naturally. (What a little ray of sunshine I am!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Jabblog. *lays head on desk and sobs quietly*

      Delete
  11. Our local cat lady traps them. You will surely be able to borrow a trap from some humanitarian place or other. I guess how it works is that they go in for food and that springs the door closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have live traps. Two. I was hoping to do things differently with the cats, but I guess that I'll just need to accept the fact that they are no less wild then the skunks and ground hogs the traps are generally used for.

      Delete
  12. We had a relative, a cousin of my mother's, who lived on the family farm in Pennsylvania whose cat population got ridiculously high. Supposedly they were kept to keep the rodent population down but the place ended up smelling horrible and as the cats interbred they started developing weird anomalies. I don't remember what they did after the cousin died but it can't have been pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always that. *shudder* I could never do such a thing, and I don't think Tim would either, but it is a fact of life. It is a simple fact of life in the country.

      Delete
  13. Is Goblin neutered or do you know? If not ... He could be the Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goblin's part of the intown clowder. Gaza is at the new build about a half hour away. I believe that he is neutered. He's really been 'with' us such a long time, and I've never had the slightest hint of feline hanky panky here.

      Delete
  14. You really are a cat whisperer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Near my house is a hotel that has a very large family of feral cats in its grounds - they seem to get by okay though I suspect the kitchen staff feed them in return for keeping the vermin at bay. Every so often there is a litter of kittens that swells their numbers at least for a while

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you again, Mark. That's the part that I'm most concerned about. There are plenty of predators about, and I'm concerned about what is going to happen to them.

      Delete
  16. You said something recently that made me wonder if Gaza is pregnant again. (Maybe you even openly speculated about it, I can't remember.) Let's just say I'm not surprised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it was a comment, maybe. It did not even occur to me until she stretched on in front of me on Friday. I got a sickish feeling. My sister made her validating comment on Saturday.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

The Cure for Insomnia

 I am halfway through Demon Copperhead. It is not a likeable book, but it is extremely well written. Just as David Copperfield put a face to...