Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Progress

 Today we had to be up early. Tim was meeting with the guy who has the right-of-way across our property. The man who was actually going to build the road was showing up, along with the fellow who was going to do some excavating work. They were planning to come tomorrow, but we have our appointment with the city, and Tim could not make it. They wanted everyone there, so they rescheduled for today. 

I had plenty to keep me busy. I was staining the tongue and groove for the pantry. I was not sure of the stain when I opened it, but once I began to apply it, I really liked the look of it. I think it will be okay with the wallpaper. 




The color is called 'gunstock', and it is a can of stain that Tim had here from an earlier project. I stained 30 boards. I liked working the stain into the wood, and into the grooves of the beadboard. It was a nice way to spend a morning, sitting in the basement by myself, working in the silence, listening to the rain outside, and the occasional rumbles of thunder. 

Tomorrow, I will poly that wood, and hopefully, by the end of the week, we'll be able to get it on the wall. I'm getting excited about it. 

Something else that I'm getting excited about is that this morning, I went down to feed Gaza and her kittens. I make a point of sitting on the concrete and assembling their food. I use a heavy metal pan now, because they keep pulling the dish off away, and I can never find it. When I called, a kitten popped up, yawning sleepily. I stirred the milk into the dry catfood, and then I added the two cans of canned cat food and stirred it all together, and set it in front of me, about maybe six feet from where I was seated. It was not long before Gaza came out to feed. She was very nervous. The men were talking outside and one had a very loud voice. When he spoke, she would growl, run past me to dart underneath the truck behind me, peering nervously out the garage door. I thought that it was very interesting that she was running towards me when she got nervous, instead of away from me. I also was encouraged by the fact that when I spoke soothingly to her in a low voice, she seemed to settle, and walked past me to go back to her dish. 

After probably a half dozen times of this darting, being soothed, and returning to feed, I did something new. When she darted under the truck, I began to hold my hand out to her when I spoke soothingly. She stopped to rub herself thoughtfully against the ladder that leads to the garage attic while considering my outstretched hand. Much to my delight, she finally came to me and gave my hand a little 'boop' with her nose. I made no attempt to pet her because I didn't want to push my luck, but she did come to me four times to give me a little touch during our visit. 



The kittens are very nervous as well, but they too show signs of settling down. They will come out and feed in front of me. They head off in all directions it I speak or move, but if I sit quietly, they will eat cautiously, watching me closely for any sign of movement. When they run off, they don't duck outside. They stay within sight, but out of reach, playing and tumbling and pouncing. 

I changed their bedding for fresh and walked out and got started on my boards.

Two nights ago, I couldn't sleep and came out to read for a while. There was a woman shouting for quite some time in the neighborhood about 1AM. Last night it was Tim's turn to be sleepless. He said that there was a woman shouting about 2:30AM. When we returned home from working today, the man was shouting still. That's one thing we will not have to deal with when we move. 

Tomorrow is the big meeting with the city. 
It will be very interesting to finally hear what they have to say. 


39 comments:

  1. How odd, to have people shouting in the night! What in the world...
    I like that stain too, and the wallpaper. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very strange. Tim says if he hears it tonight, he is taking a walk to figure out the source.

      Delete
  2. So nice of you to care for the kitties. Hope you don't find paw prints on your boards! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garage is where the cats live. I stained the boards in the basement.

      Delete
  3. That T&G will look good!
    Nice cat progress too..and all these meetings...it's all go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been an amazingly smooth week. May it continue!

      Delete
  4. I guess I will have to start referring to you as the Cat Whisperer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could have any title, it would be 'the Cat Neuterer'.

      Delete
  5. pins and needles on this city meeting. What a mess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling the same way. This has been a 7 month ordeal just to get a stupid meeting.

      Delete
  6. Hoping all goes well at your meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just keep telling myself that by lunch time tomorrow, the meeting will be over.

      Delete
  7. Wishing you all the best outcomes with the city. I can't imagine what their defense of their actions would be, but officialdom never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justice can be kind of hard to find in a small town.

      Delete
  8. Fingers crossed for your meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss Gaza is a lovely kitty. Hope all goes very well with officialdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is Sigh, the smallest kitten. I will post a picture of Gaza tomorrow. But don't you think Miss Kitty needs a friend?

      Delete
  10. I will also add my good wishes for tomorrow.
    Fabulous that Gaza seems to be accepting you so quickly (relatively). Will you be able to get her and the kittens de-sexed if you can tame them enough?
    I agree that the timber stain looks great. Often these mundane jobs are good to do - allows the mind to free-spin and refresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went back up and did some more staining today. It is a pleasant way to spend a couple hours.

      Delete
  11. You're making such good progress on all fronts. I love your wallpaper and can see what you mean about the Beatrix Potter sense .
    Gaza and her kittens are learning that not all humans are bad news. It's such a thrill when an animal chooses to make contact.
    Good luck with all your meetings - I hope the outcome will be as you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well whatever happens at the meeting good luck. It must be an exciting time as you begin to decorate your house to your style.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Patience and food, certainly the best ways to capture the affection of a cat. There is something quite satisfying about doing a job yourself; I can't wait to see pics of the finished pantry. May the force be with you and Tim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The force was not with us today. It is just one of those things that will not easily resolve.

      Delete
  14. I love this news about Gaza and her kittens! You're doing everything just right to win her over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wasn't there today. When she's gone, you don't see hide nor hair of the kittens. They stay hidden. I know where they hide now, but I don't want to scare them.

      Delete
  15. Good luck with your meeting. Hope you get it settled at last!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, you got a little picture too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little picture of a little cat. Lacey needs a friend, don't you think?

      Delete
  17. That stain, on that wood, looks very nice. Can't wait to see it on the walls. I found an old linen chest about three weeks ago and I've been working on restoring it, enjoying myself. I forgot how much I like restoration work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are beginning to trust you more and more.
    I like to work in silence too, alone with thoughts, focusing on the job. I don't at all like working with music on, which some seem to think essential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silence is something sore lacking in this world. There's always noise.

      Delete
  19. Yeah, I can't wait to hear how this city meeting goes.

    It's great that the cats are warming up to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scratch this post (no pun intended). I saw two kittens today and they scrammed.

      Delete
  20. You are doing well by Gaza and her babies. That wee one does look Siamesey. Are they at your current house or the new property? What will happen to them when you move?

    That's a nice stain and goes well with the wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Interesting

The huge pile of dirt that was created when we had the basement excavated (it seems like a hundred years ago, but was actually a mere 16 mon...