Saturday, August 3, 2024

Promised pictures.

 This morning started out with a quick trip up on Miller Hill, where there was an estate sale going on. I had stopped in, specifically looking for gallon glass jars, but they had none. 

I found a book. 

On my way out the door though, I noticed something: 


Now, remember, the last thing that I need is furniture, but this was only $40. And it was 40% off. I waffled back and forth and then left without it. The sale was about to close up for the night. I figured to let Tim have a chance to look at it and give his thoughts. Like I said, it was not a thing we actually needed. Additionally, if I returned with Tim, it would be the last day of the sale and it would be 60% off, which would take it down to a whopping $16. 

So this morning, we got up and we headed to the sale. Tim was the tiniest bit grumpy on it and when we got there, there were a lot of cars. He said, "That table will not be there, mark my words." 

But...it WAS there! AND, his royal grumpiness got very quiet. He liked it too. He liked it so much that he took the ticket and said, "We're paying for this before we even look around." 

I found a cook book. 40 cents. 


Tim got a set of handcuffs. 

(Don't ask. I really couldn't tell you.)

We headed to the new house and we set to work on the wallpaper. I bought this stuff like 15 years ago. I loved it and it was on clearance. It just looks so sweet and it reminded me of Beatrix Potter. It's a heavy wall paper, and it is vinyl, and in keeping with my whole 'this house will be easy to clean, so help me GOD!'


We got the pantry done. The lower part of the walls will be a bead board tongue and groove which we bought like 7 or 8 years ago, from a contractor who had left overs from his house. (We also bought the poly carbonate panels for the greenhouse from him at the same time. That was a great sale). I'll begin poly coating them this week, and hopefully we will have them up before the week is out. 


This is the light that will go in the pantry. I'm not sure whether I will use the shades or not. The carpet is too busy of a background, but it is wrought iron, with chickens. I saw it at Goodwill, also many moons ago. Seriously, I've had that as long as I've had the wallpaper, I think. But I loved that light. I brought it down tonight when we got home and Tim was amazed. "I didn't even know we had that!" he said. 


This is the hall, between the pantry and the bathroom, where the wash tower will go. It was starting to get dark outside. We had a storm moving in. But it is a light gray. It will match perfectly with the laminate wood flooring that Tim got on clearance some time back and stuck in the basement. We weren't quite sure where we were going to put it, but now we know. It has a dark gray cast to it, and will coordinate nicely. 
\

This is the paint in the bedroom. I tried to take it near a window so that you could get a better idea of the color. It is a bit darker than we expected, but we are happy with it. 


A funny thing happened. We made a purchase for Tim from a medical supply place, and it was supposed to be here last Monday. It wasn't. There was no update from the USPS tracking site, just that it was running late. It had been mailed out, the company claimed. I had a sinking feeling. This had happened to us a couple of Christmases back. A company that claimed to be from NJ was actually a Chinese company. They were also scammers. This situation seemed much the same, the vague tracking info. With a sinking feeling, we decided that we'd been scammed once again, for $209. 

Today, the package was waiting when we got home!

Finally, apropos to absolutely nothing, here is a gratuitous shot of my little two dollar hibiscus. I had no way to know what color the blooms would be. I'm happy with this color. 


Oh, and one more final comment: When we got to the new build, I called for Gaza, and she came darting out to meet me in front of the garage. I carried in the cat feeding supplies and sat down to assemble their dinner. She did not run about nervously. She sat patiently. I was able to reach out and give her a bite of food. I fixed her dish and set it next to me. She ate, and listened to me as I talked. I made the kittens' "platter" and set it out and all four of them came to eat, about six feet from me. They eyeballed me nervously, and darted off when I spoke to them. However, they returned to feed in pretty short order. When I stood up to leave the garage, they darted off once again, but I feel like they are getting used to me. 

Unfortunately, no new pictures of them. I didn't bring my cell phone to the garage. 

33 comments:

  1. Love your chicken chandelier, your rose hibiscus, and all the other decorating bits. Best of luck with your new cat family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think perhaps Kitty would like a friend.😉

      Delete
  2. The hibiscus is a great colour.

    Just now my reader presented me with twenty four new posts from you. I kept meaning to check your actual blog to see if there was a reason your weren't posting but I kept forgetting to do so. My most humble apologies, and you must have thought it rather strange. Now, I have to find out about a cat called Gaza, and kittens, let alone what else you have been doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed you. Welcome back. Are they still painting at your house?

      Delete
    2. Painting was finished today, Monday morning. Just bathroom regrouting some time this week.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it lovely to have the house taking shape and you can lavish all the things you've saved specially to get it just as you want it. Great bargain with the table.

    So pleased that Gaza and babies are starting to get used to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that was a bright spot to my day too, Jennie.

      Delete
  4. Your life is so amazingly busy! It reminds me of myself several years ago. Mostly good things, so that's nice. Just remember to allow time to rest, and to smell the roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have quite a lot going on right now.

      Delete
  5. Things are really starting to come together and are looking great. I love your butler's tray table. What a bargain! Classy and useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that just the craziest price???? I thought the $40 price tag was ridiculously low. I would have totally paid that for it. 40% off of that blew my mind. The fact that it was end of the day, and it was still sitting there. I took a calculated risk. I just feel like this new house is so small that we really do need to be very mindful about what we are taking along. I wanted to give Tim his chance to weigh in on it. The final day 60% discount was motivation to get up and get going bright and early.

      Delete
  6. It is great...and a relief..when all these things that you have got as bargains..or rescued! start to come together to make the whole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun. I mean, really, some of this stuff has been stockpiled for such a long time. Building this house has been a longheld dream...and one that is finally coming to fruition.

      Delete
  7. This is the best part isn't it...making the house into your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun. The pantry isn't an important room, so I can be ridiculous with it.

      Delete
  8. So many lovely things coming together to make your home. Thank you for the photographs and their history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get excited over my finds.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. If you lived near, I'd give you three rolls of it. It is nice stuff. It's supposed to be prepasted, but after all these years, we simply didn't trust that the paste would still be good so we bought wall paper paste. It went up like a dream.

      Delete
  10. HANDCUFFS??????? Debby - that is a side of your relationship I would have never guessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ana, this estate sale was put on by a shirt tail relative. His father passed away and they are emptying out his house. Chad came rushing over to me with Tim's 'chit', which is a running tab of what we bought and what we owed. Tim had one thing on his 'chit': handcuffs. Chad was howling and made a big production out of it. I think he thought I'd die of embarrassment. I told him that he was my favorite jerk.

      Delete
  11. I would hae thought that the kittens would adapt quicker than mama. But they might adapt more fully than she in due course.

    Now, about an older couple with handcuffs …

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They take cues from their mama, I think, and she has been quite nervous about people.

      Delete
  12. How nice that you are getting to use so many of your stockpiled treasures! It's going to be a lovely home for you and Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is the fun thing. I remember about that light. Tim didn't want to get it, but I loved it. I knew that it would fit somewhere. We stock pile a lot of things for rentals, but this is something I coveted for myself and my own space.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great that you're finally getting to use all these items you've collected over the years! And bravo for getting the table. What a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty excited. And a 1923 cookbook for 40 cents. Surprising how many salad recipes there are.

      Delete
  15. I think yours is the third such account I have read in the same number of days about people ordering things from what appeared to be U.S. companies but ended up coming from China. I haven't had that problem yet and hope I can avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is frustrating. I think I'm pretty sensible. I knew what we needed, and I researched it carefully. I made my purchase based on reviews and that reading. Where it gets dicey is when you are placing an order with a company in New Jersey or Georgia, and then a couple weeks later, you find that the item is being shipped from China, and all the on line reviews for the name of THAT company indicated you're getting a cheap piece of shit that you won't be able to return. So you try to cancel the order but are told repeatedly that it can't be canceled. The last issue was resolved because I had not received anything in 60 days. The credit card refunded, me, but I think they probably were unable to collect from the 'merchant'. Which is why I really hate online shopping.

      Delete
  16. That table is what is commonly known, at least around these parts, as a "butler's tray." My wife had one when got married and we used it as a coffee table for years, until a couple those hinged parts become worn out. Who knew children would come along and love playing with them?!

    As for the wallpaper, I trust that will go well. We learned years ago, although we have a strong marriage (will celebrate 40 years next week), it becomes precariously tested while hanging and/or removing wallpaper. We swore off the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the second time that we've ever hung wall paper in our marriage. The first time was not so great and we abandoned the project. We are trying to remember why it didn't work, and we can't. We expected this to be time consuming, and it kind of was, but we got our routine worked out. It took about 4 hours of work time, with a long lunch break. I didn't mind it. Turned out that Tim did. Quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have that same model of table in my living room. We bought it about 40 years ago and it never gets used, just dusted sometimes. It is in a living room I never use. My house is too large for one person but it has bee. home for 25 years. So many memories and we remodeled it when we moved in, my late husband shows in every room. I just can hardly believe I can read your blog again; I am happy and have been a little down so this is a pick me up. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the wallpaper! And of course your chicken light fixture. And the coffee table is a good one. Oh, your home is going to be so cozy and sweet.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Interesting

The huge pile of dirt that was created when we had the basement excavated (it seems like a hundred years ago, but was actually a mere 16 mon...