Thursday, August 22, 2024

Breakthroughs

 We had gone up to pick up some gallon jars from a woman. I'd put an ad on a local 'Helping Hands' site, about a month ago. Nothing. A couple people responded, one to tell me an estate sale had them (they didn't), another to offer gallon glass jugs, which unfortunately would not work. 

After a month, I got two hits in two days. I met a woman in the parking lot of Walmart and got 3 jars from her. The following day, another woman messaged me to say that she had five of them. Such great news! 

Even funnier, when Tim and I drove up there, it turned out it was a woman from his church. We stood in her yard talking awhile. She mentioned that her husband had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. His, unfortunately, is inoperable. 

Tim said, "That's what I had." 

She said, "I know." 

She spoke of how her husband is slowing down, and it is difficult for him, because he's always been busy, and he just can't do it any longer. 

I think that made an impression on Tim because he cannot push himself like he used to. He tires more easily. We've got to the point on this house that I simply tell him, "There is no rush. We're not homeless." The new house will be done when it gets done. End of it. 

He's kind of relaxed about things now, and he doesn't put himself under the same pressure he used to. Yesterday, at noon, we stopped working to have a sandwich, and he was looking off into space. Suddenly he said, "I wonder why Judy's husband's cancer is inoperable." 

I said, "Well, usually that means that the cancer has spread. There are a lot of lymph nodes in the groin area. When the cancer has moved into the lymph nodes, there really is no way to stop it. It's in your blood stream at that point." 

He said nothing.

It was a good opportunity to say it. "Tim, it is exactly what would have happened to you if you had chosen not to have surgery. That's why I was so afraid when you said you wouldn't have it. I know that this has brought some pretty big changes into our lives, and I know that you are unhappy with those changes, but honestly, it doesn't matter to me. I can deal with anything. I just want to have you." He listened, chewing his sandwich. He's not a demonstrative fellow. He just nodded. 

I continued, "...most days anyways." He let loose with a bray of laughter, and for the first time in a long time, things just felt normal and right between us.  

Another cool thing happened. I ran to the new house while Tim was with the Amish crew here at home. I had a cat and her kittens that needed fed, and I was planting some garlic, putting out peanuts for the crows, and such like. 

Gaza was in the field when I pulled in and when she saw me, she meowed and came running. I went inside the house and got the dry food, milk and the two cans of cat food. She bounded ahead of me to the garage. I always sit on the ground so that she can approach, and she did. She began eating from the dish before I finished preparing it. I stirred the canned cat food into the milky mixture as she ate, and I petted her two or three times. She flinched, but she was hungry and she stayed. 

Possum, one of the kittens, was quite hungry too. Gaza has begun to growl and slap at them if they approach while she is eating. I didn't like that. I dished some out for the kitten using the can from the catfood. I set it back away from Gaza so that he could eat. 

I went to the greenhouse and planted my garlic in a pot, and then headed back up to the house to lock up and leave. I saw Gaza, once again, sitting in the field, watching me. I sat down on the ground again and called to her. She came. She was hesitant, and she did that darting thing where she runs at me, veering away at the last minute. She would circle under the car to watch me. I just kept talking to her, and she would approach again, veering off at the last minute. I held out my hand and I did get another couple chances to pet her.

31 comments:

  1. Slow and easy and you will have a lap cat before too long!
    Yesterday, my friend Mary and I went to the Humane Society just so we could hold and pet some of the kitties! I need to do that more often ... I can't have a pet where I live! ☹️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a valuable thing to spend time with the kittens. They need to be handled and cuddled and 'people-fied'. These four kittens have never been touched by humans. I have a home for one, but am beginning to fear I will never be able to tame them. There's probably more hope now that Gaza is slapping and hissing at them. I'm going to start putting out two bowls, one for the kittens and on the other side of the garage, one for the Gaza, who is acting like Israel, atm.

      Delete
  2. It's good to look back and see that the right decision was made. It took a while for Tim to make the decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim now understands your reasons for pushing him to have surgery, and I remember all the researching effort you put in to knowing all you did and advising him.

    Slowly slowly, the cats are relaxing with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that he does. I think he always did.

      Delete
  5. It seems that your conversation with Tim's Church friend settled things in his mind a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that it settled things in the long term, but for a time, he seems more settled.

      Delete
  6. It's good that Tim was able to see the alternative to the decision he made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that conversation with the church friend really must have sunk in for Tim. And so good that you were able to convince him to do it. Life does sometimes hang on one decision. And I imagine Tim must have felt a rush of gratitude and a bit of survivor's guilt at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it was a very powerful moment to him for whatever reasons. He doesn't talk a lot, and his thoughts have always been his own. He always knows what I think. I'm never quite sure of what he thinks. For him to be thinking about Judy's husband a day later shows that he was processing information that he needed to be processing.

      Delete
  8. Are the jars for pantry organization at the new place?

    I've never planted garlic quite this early, at least for the kind you harvest in late spring. I'm guessing this is some sort you can still harvest yet this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an experiment. I want to see if I can grow a pot of it, to keep inside. It's just one of those silly things that popped into my mind while I was peeling garlic for the olive oil.

      Delete
    2. I would be interested in learning the results of your experiment someday.

      Delete
    3. Oh, and I forgot to say, the jars are for kombucha.

      Delete
    4. I've heard a lot about it but have never tried any. For someone like me who has eaten/drank a lot of exotic foods all over the world, there hasn't been much that people say that I haven't tried. I guess I've just never been in the right place at the right time.

      Delete
  9. Marriage is a fancy dance, isn't it? We learn the steps as we go and just as we think we have it, the music changes altogether. But we keep on dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do. Sometimes, when the dance is awkward, we dance on only because we know that the music will change once again.

      Delete
  10. I think prostate cancer is hard for a lot of men because of how it affects their sexual function. A lot of men end up on hormone therapy and that's difficult too, less testosterone and way more estrogen, a whole new way of experiencing life. I'm glad you told Tim how you feel about it. Men not talking, it drives me crazy.
    I'm glad Gaza is accepting you. It's amazing what food does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim has never been a talker. He talks more than he ever has in his life, but never about the important stuff. I was late getting to the new house yesterday. I had a book club meeting and didn't get up there until 2. They were hungry and very vocal.

      Delete
  11. I'm you had a good chuckle after contemplating serious stuff. Those kitties are keeping you busy! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaza wants to be friendly so very badly, but she cannot bring herself to quite make that commitment. I know that when it happens, Tim will be no where around. She runs at the sounds of men's voices.

      Delete
  12. Good to get the message over to Tim...and some humour helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humor goes a long way in our family.

      Delete
  13. You've made a friend, maybe not a pal -- yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More of like an acquaintance.

      Delete
  14. Best of luck with your new doctor.
    And I’m SO glad Tim had the surgery!
    I’ve been in Norway all summer- I did
    leave a comment to your August 9th (?) post-
    sorry I’ve not been in touch, but I’ve been following
    your blog from above the arctic circle!🤗 xo, Rigmor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Rigmor. I don't mind if you don't comment. I know you're off having adventures! It's enough to know you're out there. :)

      Delete
  15. One of the biggest trends in the jewelry world today is personalization. Create your own jewelry designallows you to express your individuality in a way that mass-produced items simply can’t. Many online platforms in the USA offer easy-to-use tools for designing your own pieces.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Interesting

The huge pile of dirt that was created when we had the basement excavated (it seems like a hundred years ago, but was actually a mere 16 mon...