Friday, August 23, 2024

Feathers and Fur

I've been feeding the crows for a couple weeks now. I know that we have a great many of them around, and I am intrigued by them. They are very intelligent birds. I've read a lot of stories about them, and well, I just couldn't resist giving it a try.  I began to set out the peanuts, and they are gone in the morning, but I've never seen crows eating them. We also have squirrels and deer, raccoons, possums, rabbits, turkeys, foxes and coyotes. So...who knows? I was not sure how my little experiment was going to work out. 

Today we were priming the kitchen walls and the ceiling of the open area that is the kitchen and living room. The brush for getting the edges was no good, so Tim ran to Titusville to get another while I continued with the roller. 

The funny thing is that car had no sooner pulled out of the driveway and headed down the road when I began to hear the raucous sounds of crows. I got down from the scaffolding and went to the sliding door and there they were, at least ten of them, and they were having themselves a regular crow party. 

The timbered walls are draped in plastic to protect them from paint splatters, so I had to pull it back to look at them through the window. As soon as that plastic moved, all of them cawed loudly and lifted off simultaneously. It just made me laugh. They are definitely observant. 

Tim got back and we continued on, and we got the priming done. It was a big job and we worked all day. 

At the end of the day, I went out. Gaza and the kittens had been fed that morning, but I just wanted to see. I sat down on the ground and called her, and much to my surprise she came. She did a lot of darting and hissing and spitting. I stayed still and talked to her. She would come in to be petted, then hiss after two or three strokes and back off. Strangely though, she came back again and again, getting those pets before hissing and running off again. She is very nervous. She's also a very tiny cat, and probably not more than a year old herself, if that. At one point she did hiss and swat at my hand, claws out. I told her no, and set my hand in my lap. She lay down a couple feet from me, and stretched out lazily in the evening sun, grooming herself. 

We probably spent 20 minutes together and that's progress, I suppose. 

She is being very aggressive with her kittens. She will run them off. I've begun to feed them outside the garage while she continues to eat inside. I wonder if all mother cats do this. I only had one cat that had kittens, but she was tame. I've never been able to handle any of these kittens. I don't know if I ever will. One thing about the kittens though...now that mama has abandoned them, at least Mini is keeping a close eye on me, meowing at me when I spoke to her today. 

The funniest part is we briefly ducked out and then returned. When we pulled back in the yard, there was a might cawing and once again, a black cloud of crows raised up to the trees. 


34 comments:

  1. Do you feed the crows peanuts still in their shells? It must be fun to watch them open the shells.
    An old Indian saying I think, Slowly, slowy, catchee monkey. You'll soon have a tame cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do feed them unsalted peanuts and they are still in the shell, and I haven't had much opportunity to sit and observe them at work for any length of time. I'm curious how long it will take to get them accustomed to our presence.

      If they are anything like cats, it will take foreeeeeeeverrrrrrrr....

      Delete
  2. Roger Welch, a writer I followed on Facebook before he died, fed crows on a wooden platform on a pole. They were never tame really, but they got to the point where they didn't fly away very far when he was putting food out for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember him saying they liked hot dogs.

      Delete
    2. We'll probably just stick to peanuts. Setting meat outside will certainly attract undesirables. We live in bear country.

      Delete
  3. The cats and birds can keep their eyes on each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my most memorable tv programs was about crows. They can create tools (like using a stick to poke something to bring it closer or dropping stones into a container to raise the water level where they can drink from it). I think it was on PBS but it might have been on National Geographic. I have never tried to google it to watch a second time but it might be worth a shot. Another interesting thing was how they mourn one of their group when it is dying. A group or gathering of crows is called a "murder of crows". This is probably more about crows that you wanted to know. Sorry. Momma cat is possibly trying to wean her kittens and is ready to breed again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me again... just now read another blog site )Jablog) who was writing about CROWS. Seems there are some cities in Europe who have trained crows to pick up cigarette butts and drop them into a contraption which rewards them with food. It is very successful to rid city sidewalks of butts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to run over to Jabblog's post right away. What a funny coincidence. What drew me to feeding them is that they leave gifts, supposedly. I read about one woman who feeds crows. She was amused that one morning, she found a shiny plastic easter egg they'd brought her. It had a $10 bill inside. Someone must have been having an easter egg hunt.

      Delete
  6. It's those birds like wood pigeons I don't like. Also when birds play their prog rock dawn chorus when I am camping for twenty minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, after a late night of loud music, it's a wonder you could hear them!

      Delete
  7. When I was young 4or5 my dad told me if I sprinkled salt on a crows tail I could catch. They were around the farm on a regular basis. I spend hours with a little saltshaker trying to catch a crow. He also said if I caught one and split it tongue it would learn to talk. I was so excited to think I could have a talking pet bird. Farm girls learn to entertain themselves if you are an only child. Then I learned to work with the animals at 6 and dad kept me pretty busy. I never caught one or even get near one, daddy knew that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember hearing the same things. The idea of splitting a bird's tongue horrified me.

      Delete
  8. Crows are very intelligent (all the Corvid family are). I am amused at your feeding them :) Sounds like they have your number - you're ok as long as they can't SEE you!!

    As for Gaza - guess she is weaning the kittens, and desperately hungry herself. She sounds to be coming round to your being a nice person, and not someone to be scared of. I hope the kittens make that same decision too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear God. I hope not. The last thing that I need is more kittens.

      Delete
  9. When you move into the new home you could open a petting farm..invite people to mingle with your wildlife friends 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the goal is not to tame the crows. I don't want that. I just like having them around.

      Delete
  10. It's sad to think of a young, little cat like Gaza possibly ready to breed again. Nature's imperative, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! NOT MORE KITTENS!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  11. I've seen and read about becoming friends with crows, and it is fascinating to me. Their logical little minds, their group hierarchy, the "funerals" they hold for their dead friends, their memories - all rather amazing. Oh, cats and kittens. It just seems as though it is a river that never stops running. One of our friends is the neighborhood cat lady, and currently, she has 14. FOURTEEN! 8 outside, 6 of her own inside. She traps, neuter, spays and vets the outside ones, and has done this for over 65 cats. On her dime. Population control is so hard because they can reproduce like rabbits. I await the day where the injection to sterilize cats is readily available. There is one in the making and studies so far show that the shot works for up to 2 years. So much suffering could be prevented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just need a sensible neutering program here. Most people cannot afford hundreds of dollars to neuter a cat. Something that irritates me is when you hear 'irresponsible pet owners' getting blasted for not having their animals neutered. What they miss is that most of the cats belong to no one. Like our two separate clowders, they are strays who just show up.

      Delete
  12. When I was a kid our cat had kittens, and I don't remember her driving them off at any point. But we may have given them away by the time they were old enough to be deemed independent by the mother. I just can't remember. You may eventually feel about crows the way I feel about our local starlings -- I enjoy feeding and watching them but occasionally it gets to be a bit MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always hear about crows leaving little gifts for the people who feed them. I hope that happens to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see if they do.

      Delete
  14. I had a dog once who had pups. She was a good mama until it was time to wean them and then she was done with them, including nipping at them if they got too close. Gaza is done being their mama.
    I love crows and find them fascinating too. I happened to find one of their roosts here in Sherwood Park one evening as the sun was setting. It was amazing to see so many crows gathered to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They often flock to one tree at the woods line. If a deer or turkey or even a mother cat comes walking through, they set up quite a hullaballoo. I call it Caws for Alarm.

      Delete
  15. You should get an intra red garden cam. Ours has been great fun, but with all your wildlife it would be fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually have some. I will send you some pictures in an e-mail.

      Delete
  16. You certainly love animals and it is sweet how you want to care for and feed all of the ones that come near to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun to watch. Today, while we were painting, a flock of turkeys fed in the field. The trail cam picks up deer at night, nice ones. It's just entertaining to be in the midst of all that.

      Delete
  17. I find painting quite meditative and enjoy it.... but... I absolutely hate priming. No matter how I try, the thinner primer paint just gets everywhere, over me, over what I'm trying not to splatter it on and then I have to spend a lot of time cleaning me and everything else up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is much easier to prime in an completely empty room where the walls are all covered in plastic and we haven't put the permanent flooring over the subfloor. Nothing to splatter, except myself, and I'm darn good at that. Luckily, I'm washable.

      Delete
  18. My mother in law fed her neighborhood crows and they brought her gifts: Legs from some small birds! Crow logic…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...I'm not sure we'd notice here, between cats, owls, and hawks.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Interesting

The huge pile of dirt that was created when we had the basement excavated (it seems like a hundred years ago, but was actually a mere 16 mon...