Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Soup, Lies, and Videotape

 First off, for those that asked: 

Stuffed Pepper Soup

1 tbls olive oil

1 pound of ground meat (I generally use venison)

1 medium sized onion

2 tsp minced garlic

Salt and pepper 

two green bell peppers (capsicum to you guys?)

1 can of diced tomatoes if you don't have fresh to chop in, probably 1 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes.

1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce

1 15 ounce container of beef broth (I generally use a couple cups of water with better than broth)

2 tsp italian seasoning

1 1/2 cups white rice

Saute beef, onion, green pepper and garlic, add to a pot with beef broth, simmer, add the tomatoes and sauce and the italian seasoning. Simmer to blend the flavors, add rice, serve. We like to sprinkle a bit of cheddar on top. 

A curious thing today. When Tim and I first tested for Covid, it was our last box of tests. Last Monday, I did call our pharmacy to see what test kits cost. We had gotten the four previous tests free with our medicare card at that pharmacy. My thoughts were to get the tests ordered and then pick them up in the drive through, to avoid going into the store. Much to my surprise, I was told that they would be $31 and change per box (of two tests). That was a bit pricey in my book, and so I did not order them. I also did not want to go into other stores and price them because, well...I was sick. 

But after a week, 'needs must', as our Weaver would say. (She's left her mark. Her gentle wisdom has extended far beyond Wensleydale, hasn't it?) I needed groceries badly, and so I masked up and off I went. 

Much to my surprise, there was a rack of covid test kits right there, in front of the pharmacy, for just under $16, or about half price of the price I'd been quoted at the pharmacy window. 

We stocked up, but honestly, I still cannot figure this out. 

I also am still testing strongly positive, which is discouraging. 

The news is awful. Trump claiming that the White House has left the south to drown. He's such a liar, and yet his legions believe every word of his bullshit, and even parrot it back, nearly verbatim. 


And the world has gone crazy, hasn't it? Even in my little corner of the world. 



They wound up having to taze the man, who refused to cooperate. He was talking about not spilling royal blood (Harry? Harry, is that you?) and calling himself a prophet.  His girlfriend 
attacked police with a wooden sword and earned a tasing as well. 

What is not mentioned is that while traffic was stopped for this, a drunk driver rearended stopped traffic for yet another three car accident. 

But the sobering thing is that three children were in the car. It must have been terrifying for them, with speeds reaching up to 92 mph. And they were not even in car seats. 

 Tonight is the debate with Walz and Vance. I am so exhausted by the news that I don't even know if I can watch.





6 comments:

  1. The world certainly is going crazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness; I've not seen $30 for covid tests. In the early covid days, I saw $24, but WalMart has some down to $19. You got a good deal at your second pharmacy. Glad you got some new ones. I'm waiting for Trump to say that the Georgia chemical plant plume will stop covid. I too am very sick of him and sad that so many believe his every word. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That WAS my pharmacy. The exact one I called, Walmart pharmacy.

      Delete
  3. Shaking my head about the Covid tests.... I can't watch tonight, my blood pressure cannot stand much more of the nutjobs. If they somehow manage to cheat themselves into our White House I will probably have to go to bed for the duration. I hope Walz mops the floor with him, I'll read about it later. Your pepper soup recipe seems much like mine. I think I have what I need to make some. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think pharmacies are still giving away covid tests, at least they were in the spring. It seems awful that companies are making money off these. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounded like an outrageous charge for the Covid test kits. As a pensioner, Ray used to receive free kits but then I think the last time he bought them, they cost a few dollars. I am not sure what the full price I would pay would be. I'm curious now. Ok, 5 tests for AU25.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Soup, Lies, and Videotape

 First off, for those that asked:  Stuffed Pepper Soup 1 tbls olive oil 1 pound of ground meat (I generally use venison) 1 medium sized onio...