Sunday, March 31, 2024

My Finds.

 There were three things that I liked from the auction. We are not buying any furniture at this point, because we know for a fact we've got to get rid of furniture when we move. So there is not one whit of sense to buy any furniture at this point. 

But I saw these ducks. They are cast iron, and they were for a garden. They needed to be sandblasted. I don't think that I would have painted them, but, who knows? I will never know. They sold for over $200 so they went home with someone else. 

I sure did not like them that much. 

There was something else that I wanted badly just as soon as I saw it. I quietly called Tim over and showed him this. It is a history of our county published in 1887. It has 692 pages, not counting the appendix, so this was a massive book. I saw that it had each of the townships listed. People, places, houses, businesses. Our city was less than 100 years old when this volume was published. 

Tim agreed that this is something we should try to bring home.


We did not know what it would go for, but we both love history. 

The auction went on and on, and the book stayed there. Once the antique muzzleloaders and swords were auctioned off, I was pleased to see that some people left. We sat there for three hours, waiting for that book to be offered. Finally it was. Tim handed me our number and whispered, "Wait until it goes low." (Unnecessary advice.) When the price went down to $10, someone bid, and my hand was up in a shot. And my hand stayed up. There were three of us, and by god, I did want that book. And I got it! For $50! The guy behind me grumbled, "She got a good deal on that book!" but he had every chance to outbid me and he didn't. So...

One of the auction assistants walked the book back to me. 

I was reading about the great hydrophobia outbreak of 1835 in downtown Warren. The problem was so serious that they passed a temporary ordinance making it legal for a resident to shoot any dog found in the street without a person. Engrossed in my story (it is a VERY readable book) I missed it when the next thing I wanted came up. 

It is a pot hanger, a pretty one. 


It dropped to $10 and then attracted a half dozen people bidding on it. The bidding was fast and furious. I tried to tell Tim I didn't want it that bad, but he wasn't listening. In the end, we got it for $55. 

It is rusty, and the metal pieces need to be 'unfrozen' so that the thing can be taken apart. Just like the ducks that didn't come home with us, this will need to sandblasted and soaked to 'unfreeze' the hooks. One the thing is taken apart, it will be painted black and properly put back together. It's a pretty heavy thing. It will hang above our old butcher block in the new kitchen. 

So that was the auction. Tim got the screen door that he wanted so badly and a kerosene can. I got my book and my pot hanger. Who do you think got the better bargains this time around?

30 comments:

  1. I reckon you both got things that worth having..win win ?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a similar pan hanger on Antiques Road Trip recently. Do you want some old copper kettles or a brass jam pan Debby to hang from it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. I will hang the pots and pans I use daily from it. Except for my seasoned cast iron skillet which is always on the stove.

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your book, I would have wanted it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you each got the bargains suited to you. I love the pot hanger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite a successful day. I like your new treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You both got the better deal because you both got what you wanted. Except for the ducks, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even mind so much that I didn't get them.

      Delete
  7. Do they ever publish the total amount made at the auction? They sure had a ton of stuff. Congrats on your wins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't but it was very definitely in the tens of thousands. I don't know what percentage of that is auction fees though.

      Delete
  8. That book is so interesting. I wonder if your local library has a copy? Maybe you could donate it to them! (I'm thinking like a librarian, here. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the county history books for both the county I grew up in and the county I live now. In fact, I just an hour ago brought home the one for the county I live in now. I volunteer to sort books for a large book sale fundraiser for our local library and as such, I get to keep a handful of books I find interesting as payment. So I didn't pay a dime for my 700+ page volume written in 1901. I love looking at the old maps and reading historical accounts of how cities and townships were settled.

    I love the pot hanger and I think what you paid for it and the history book were good deals. I have overheard a lot of sour grapes from losing bidders at auctions. But I have rarely regretted coming home with the things I do so I have learned to ignore them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A local man by the name of Capt. S.B. Evans is listed as composer and editor though it was created and published by Chicago Biographical Publishing Company which did a huge amount of these volumes.

      Delete
  10. I forgot to mention, desirable books are one of those things you have to keep close eyes on. I have found many times over the years that other people interested in them like to hide them in boxes of less desirable books which they can then pick up for a cheap bid. More than once, I have waited around for something like that only to never see it come up for auction because somebody most likely hid it before the auction got to it. Happens with tools too. Fortunately a pot hanger is too big to easily stash in a box of junk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, everything is laid out on tables. It is all inventoried. They have about a dozen people roaming around keeping an eye on things. It doesn't seem to be a problem here.

      Delete
  11. The book sounds like a good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That book sounds absolutely marvellous! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it was just sitting there waiting for me!!!

      Delete
  13. I would have bid to high heaven for a book like that about my township.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I set my cut-off price at $100. I was sure I would be outbid. I am so glad that I didn't have to go that high, but it is a great book with some great stories.

      Delete
  14. I love what you got!! I wish I had a book like that for our town! And that pot hanger is really awesome- it’ll look fabulous in your kitchen!
    Rigmor

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

The Walk

 When people comment on my relationship with William, it really brings a bit of a lump to my throat.  Our relationship has changed.  Things ...