Thursday, March 14, 2024

Silver Linings.

 The thing that I didn't tell you all is that when I went for my bloodwork the day before yesterday, I couldn't get it done. She had no orders on file. 

This morning, I got up once again and headed over to the hospital to get those darned labs done. I took the two papers I'd been given from the doctor's office. (Yes, Andrew, I was nicely dressed, wearing makeup, and my hair was neatly styled.) I signed in once again, and I ironically got the same registrar that I had the last time. I handed her the paperwork from the doctor. She said, "Well...these aren't orders. Either the patient has the orders, or the doctor puts them into our system. We don't have anything in the system." She got up. "Let me check one more place." I said, "You checked there two days ago, and I wasn't there either." She said, "I did, didn't I?" I said, "Well, I will have to call the doctor's office and find out what's going on. This needs to get straightened out. I have skipped coffee twice this week." She made a horrified sympathetic face. I said, "Well, fortunately, everyone has lived." She laughed and said, "THAT'S good news." I told her I'd see her next time, and off I went. 

Tim was waiting in the car with coffee, the good man.

By the way, remember that nicely dressed woman who seemingly jumped line? I figured it out today. The fourth registrar is for appointments. When you sign in to the kiosk, you list whether you are there for labs, imaging, or appointments. The appointments are handled at the fourth window. So that's one curiosity solved. I don't know whether anyone has bought the used lipstick though. 

Anyways, I called the doctor's office as we drove to Erie for Tim's appointment. The office person explained to me that the orders were in the system and all I had to do was come into the hospital, and the registrar would see them. "But that's my point," I said. "I went there on Tuesday, and they had nothing. I went back today carrying the instructions from the doctor that said what needed to be done. She said that she needed the actual orders and there is nothing in the system." 

Long pause. I was put on hold. 

He came back on and said that apparently my orders had been "lost", and that he would resubmit them. 

So. Tomorrow, I will skip breakfast and coffee once again. 

But every cloud has a silver lining. Because I did not have the blood work done, we ended up getting to Erie about a hour early. Tim asked what we should do until then. I suggested checking out a thrift store. He wasn't enthusiastic but he went with along with it. We walked in the door and after a quick look around, he said, "They don't have anything. I'll just sit here and wait." 

I had a look around and I found a banana hanger. Tim eats one half a banana on his cornflakes every morning, and the bananas sit in a bowl. This might help them last longer. So I picked it up.


I found two ghost stories for William, and the boy does love a good ghost story, so I picked them up as well. I walked on and saw this: 



The thing did not appear to have ever been used. The plastic cap was still over the prongs of the cord. The manuals were all there. We have two small airfryers, but this would allow me to cook a whole meal at once instead of batches. It was $9.99. 

I don't think that Tim was too impressed really, but we bought it. Just to use it, we had homemade frenchfries and I made fish sandwiches to go with. He was happy with supper. He was happier yet when he came out to price them on line. They run, new, from $149.99 to $299.99 (the high price is the price on the NuWave site.) 

"Holy cow!" he said, "you really have an eye for this stuff! I don't know how you do it!" He laughed all the way out to the livingroom. It made his day.

16 comments:

  1. That's really bad lab processing! Can you go to a different lab with your insurance? I heard that bananas last longer and don't attract knats if you tightly cover the stem end. It seemed to work once but then I don't really tighten the wrap each time. Cool doodad and price! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are clearly a difficult patient and mucking everyone around with your test demands and wasting their time.

    We used to have a tv show and while I can't remember the name, it had a segment I will call 'Guess this object'. I would have never have guessed the purpose of the banana hanger.

    $10 for an as new air fryer! No wonder Tim is proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Third time lucky, maybe? What a pain, though.
    Well done on the charity shop buys - I never see bargains, even if they're shouting at me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a real pain in the..wherever!! Hope it goes well after all that!!

    Good finds in the thrift store. I love what they are called in NZ ( and Oz)..Op shops...meaning Opportunity....a second chance for things

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frustrating, especially with hospital car parking charges.
    I was organised and got my doctor’s and haematologists blood forms for the same time, but then the phlebotomists were off sick so I had to fast again and go back the next day. When that was done I was sent a form for some different blood tests, so three visits, with some added frustration and worry. Perhaps we are called, “Patients,” because we need so much patience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a banana tree, but it has fallen into disuse since I have stopped buying bananas. I ate them because they are "good for me" but I never loved them. I often have blueberries or raisins on my cereal, and I think they are "good for me" too. I may change my mind at some point but that is where I am at for now. 😊

    Oddly enough, we just purchased an air fryer yesterday. It is still in the box, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very lucky, my doctors office is one minute away by car and the lab is two blocks away up my street. Some people book an appointment at the lab and they get taken first but I don’t and never have to wait more than twenty minutes and the big plus is parking is free. I can no longer walk that far so have to drive everywhere. I do everything first thing in the morning and it is never busy until after ten when people seem to get out and about. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honest to God, I've found a tip to keep bananas from ripening too fast, put foil tightly over the stem ends! I did my own experiment. Took a few off the bunch, left them with no foil, the others with foil, and voila! The foiled ones took way longer to ripen. I'd buy a NuWave save for the price and it's one more appliance to store in my tiny house. Great deal you found!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm lucky that my lab is across the hall from my doctor's office!
    Hope it's already taken care of this morning and you have had your coffee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Lord. I would have LOST IT if I'd had to go back a second time only to find that there were still no orders. You are a patient person, no pun intended at all.
    Great thrift shop buys! You do have a good eye.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That fasting business for the lab is a bummer but when it is cancelled that's really bad. The instructions didn't get lost. They were never sent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why do I suspect that "lost" means they never got entered into the computer in the first place? Good for you for maintaining your composure. Good karma rewarded you with an air fryer! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use my air fryer almost daily and love that it can go in the dish washer. I live alone so it is easy to make a quick meal for one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! You REALLY got great buys! We got an air fryer this past Christmas, but haven't quite used it as much as I thought we would. We like having it though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’ll third the others on covering banana stems to slow ripening. Refrigerating them also helps; the skins go brown but the fruit inside stays firm longer. Keeps the fruit flies at bay too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your day didn't start off o great, Debby, especially with missing the morning up of java...but it got better with that thrift store find. I know how exciting it is to find something in great shape and for less$ and then find out how much more $ it would have cost new. We bought a new French Press recently for $5 thinking it must cost at least $15 new and amazed it was $29 online. This weekend, I bought a game at the library book sale for $5 (new condition) and found it was also $29 online. Always nice to find a bargain!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Friday

l’m old enough to remember  that putting the National Guard  on college campuses is a bad idea. Bernie Sanders might be old but he has said ...