Saturday, March 2, 2024

Breaking news.

 Wasn't intending to post today, but we got some wonderful news. They arrested a man in connection with the murder of the pregnant Amish woman.    

This is good news for the community, I am sure. No word on a motive. No explanations. 

In othe breaking news, my sister gave me a smart watch. It was something that she got as a reward at work, but didn't want, since it didn't do anything that her I-phone didn't. I had never really considered getting one before, but discovered that I really liked being able to track my 10,000 steps. Measure the calories burned, etc. After a week, it suddenly stopped taking a charge. 

I waffled back and forth on replacing it. It really wasn'ta necessity, and between all the recent budget hits, I did toy around with not replacing it, but...I liked it. I really liked it a lot. So today I replaced it. All by myself! (Well...and with a helpful but shy young clerk who explained all and seemed pleased as punch to complete a sale.) 

And then I brought it home and sync'ed it. All by myself. (It was a lot more complicated to accomplish that the inexpensive watch my sister got me hooked with.)

Breakfast this morning was enlightening. I got a better idea of how things work. I also found out that this should be a pretty straightforward insurance claim for the city. She doesn't understand why they would even be difficult about the matter. But she offered some good advice, and some really great insights into personalities. She also offered up plan B, if the city manager doesn't respond, which was helpful. The whole visit was very reassuring, and I know that when I told him, Tim felt better too.

This winter has been the fourth warmest winter on record.

Tomorrow may be a record breaking warm day for the county. (55 degrees on Sunday, nearly 70 degrees on Monday.) Of course, with that comes the risk of severe weather, to include tornadoes. 

Another interesting note: We used to be a 5a plant hardiness zone but the temperature has moderated enough that we are now listed as a 6a. 

If only there was something we could do! 

Well, let me get a move on. We've had supper and are about to head off for our concert. The noise level nearly killed me last time. I've got ear plugs. 

27 comments:

  1. I stuffed tissues in my ears at the last concert I went to - Focus.
    Wife's smart watch is a bone of contention. It tracks how much deep and light sleep she has, so she wears it in bed. It lights up every time she turns over. Another good way to irritate your partner is to snore loudly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine does as well, but it has a 'Do not disturb' feature that I can access, which means it will not light up or vibrate or do any thing that might disturb a spouse. Does hers?

      Delete
  2. I made the sin of assuming the official was a man. Bad me.
    My partner's smart watch tells the time well enough. It monitors his heart beat. It sends an alert when an email arrives. We know it does many other things but I don't see why I should learn about it and he doesn't seem bothered to find out himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine does a lot of things that I don't even want it to do. Mostly I like it for tracking my steps, my water intake, my calories burnt, etc. Oh. And telling me what time it is? Bonus!

      Delete
  3. I love my smart watch. It does everything the iPhone does, but I like having it on my wrist. I also wear it at night and am pleased when I get lots of deep sleep. I hope you like your new purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. I'm still figuring it out, but I do like it quite a bit.

      Delete
  4. Glad an arrest has been made. The poor child who witnessed it. also awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were 2 children in the house, a four year old and a younger child. I'm not sure what the youngest child saw, but it must have been terrifying for them.

      Delete
  5. Sue says she doesn't think she could live without a smart watch. What she means is that she would really miss it. Me too, and I am not traditionally a watch-wearing guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It surprised me how quickly I decided it was indispensible. Usually, I'm not a big fan of technology.

      Delete
  6. You do realise that, by wearing a smart watch the Martians can spy on you? Don't worry though. Just wrap tinfoil around your head and you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a nationwide shortage of tinfoil right now. Many conspiracy minded souls here, and tinfoil hats are de rigueur!

      Delete
  7. It must be a relief that the murderer was caught.
    I love my smart watch. It tells me to stand up but I don't obey its orders. Answering the phone on it is difficult, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aggravatingly, I discovered last night that it is awfully easy to place calls...I wasn't even fiddling with my watch!

      Delete
  8. I'm impressed that you went out and got yourself a new smart watch and figured out how to use it. Good for you!
    And I'm sure that everyone is quite relieved that the accused murderer is in custody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...it kept calling my daughter and I still don't understand that, so you probably don't want to jump to the conclusion that I know what I am doing.

      Delete
  9. Glad you got some good advice on your city claim. Hope you get answers soon. A relief that they have made an arrest. That poor family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine how a child even begins to process something that horrible. And both children were in the house for a couple of hours with their mother before their father came home at lunchtime. They must have been frightened out of their minds.

      Delete
  10. Any ammunition that you can get to deal with the city bureaucracy will be useful. Somewhat of a relief that there has been an arrest, but there is still the awful question of why?.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Levi was explaining to us that the Amish men he spoke with in the Burger King when we took them to Erie Wednesday felt that it was a case of mistaken identity. They mentioned that the place had been a foster home before the Byler family bought it. I didn't understand the connection to the murder. I guess that Shawn Cranston's step daughter was saying that he'd gone to try to get his grandson back.

      Delete
  11. ABCNews.com has an article this morning about the evil man being arrested. Just so heartwrenching for the young child. Hope the family can receive lots of support. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a strange story! The young family is being supported by their community, Amish and English alike. It is a good thing to see.

      Delete
  12. The news on the murder is this: the young mother's TWO children saw her killed! The man mistook her for someone who USE to live in the house and had adopted the guy's son and he wanted his son back!
    Sad, sad situation all the way around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew two children were in the home. As far as I had been told, the 4 year old witnessed the murder. Perhaps he was the only one old enough to relate what he had seen. You know, the Amish men did tell Levi that the place had been a foster home. I didn't understand the explanation, but did not want to be intrusive.

      Delete
  13. Oh, I'm really glad they've made an arrest. Still a horrible crime. Hopefully some explanation will be forthcoming, not that any explanation would justify it.

    I've never been tempted to get a smart watch. Not yet, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad there's some light at the end of the tunnel on your insurance claim thing with the city. And good going on figuring out the watch. It really taxes my brain to deal with technology.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Friday

l’m old enough to remember  that putting the National Guard  on college campuses is a bad idea. Bernie Sanders might be old but he has said ...