Thursday, March 28, 2024

A Better Day

 First of all, I want to thank every single person who recommended 'Puckoon'. Oh my gosh. It has been a long time since I laughed so hard at a book. GZ said that perhaps it was a book to be read out loud. Tim is intrigued by my laughter, and I have read parts of it out loud. He laughed as hard as I did. Today's example was Mrs. Doonan speaking with a solicitor about getting a divorce. 

"But Mrs. Doonan, just because you don't like him, that's no grounds for separation."

"Well, make a few suggestions," she said. 

"Has he ever struck you?"

"No. I'd kill him if he did." 

"Has he ever been cruel to the children?"

"Never." 

"Ever left you short of money, then?" 

"No. Every Friday on the nail." 

"I see." The solicitor pondered. "Ah. Well. Think hard now, Mrs. Doonan. Has he ever been unfaithful to you?"

Her face lit up. "By God, I think we got him there, I know fer sure he wasn't the father of me last child!"

It's like Monty Python in book form. I have giggled all the way through it. The little asides slay me: Milligan arguing with the author about his legs, and then his explanation about being a soldier in WWI. From the waist up, he was a hero. Unfortunately, he had a coward's legs. 

The book gallops along at its own breakneck ridiculousness 

Thank you for that suggestion. 

This week has been a reoccurence of the stomach issues that plagued me a week prior. That finally seems to have eased up, which makes life a bit more endurable as well. I shouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a stress related issue. But I took a deep breath and realized that every single one of you reading this right now has some sort of aggravation in their life. It is just the way it is. I've taken a deep breath and Tim and I  agreed upon our next step. We will continue on. 

Houdi also aggravated me today, the darn cat. Something that has been happening regularly is that his dry kibble winds up spread across the kitchen floor. Everywhere. Every day. Sweeping it up is the first chore of the day while my coffee is brewing. 

He has a tendency to decide (at roughly 4:30 AM) that he wants outside. Due to some  pretty costly trips to the vet, he is no longer allowed outside at night. We can sleep through a cat fight. If we are awake, we can react more quickly, hopefully intervening before serious damage happens. 

So. When he starts carrying on at 4:30, we simply shut him out of the bedroom and ignore him. 

He does not like this. 

Tonight, I was putting a handful of silverware into the silverware drawer, and he meowed to go out. I was in the middle of my job, so I ignored him for a minute while I finished. I heard a clatter and turned around to find the little fart slamming the side of his food dish, sending kibble flying everywhere. Moreover, he was staring straight at me with an irritated look on his face. 

We are working on the plumbing, as planned. We will work on it again tomorrow. As AC noted, every day, we are making progress there. That's good to keep in mind too. 

It was chilly today, but sunny, and that was a nice spirit lifter too. 

36 comments:

  1. Debby, I hope you figure out the stomach pains. The older we get, the more nervous I become about such things. Sorry to be a downer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you've been dealing with quite an issue of your own. Chronic pain is always a downer, and I'm sorry you are having a set back.

      Delete
  2. I think Houdini's last name is Garfield. What a hoot! (But not when you're sweeping up after him.) Is it a new kind of cat food? Maybe leave it empty and see if he'll eat when the bowl is filled? Hope your tummy gets better. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Nothing new. The same cat kibble. An empty cat dish? Oh my gosh. He'd really be reading me the riot act if his bowl ever got empty!

      Delete
  3. I cat sit for a few people and every cat is different, most of them are a bit spoiled to. One refuses to eat unless I bring her food in by the TV. Another thinks we need to go to bed at 9pm, I got to bed between 1 and 2 am. It takes the cat a few nights to realize she can go to bed without me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say that Houdi is spoiled. He has his routine. His favorite thing is when we go to bed. He likes to nestle in close for a good petting.

      Delete
  4. Feed Houdi less, so that he eats all in the bowl and the food isn't sitting there all day for him to snack on. Cats and dogs are feast feeders. They catch an animal for food and they gorge, then go without until hunger drives them to hunt again for food. You are doing the right thing at 4.30am.

    With your quote from Puckoon, I can see why I didn't 'get' the book at a young age but I am sure I would now. I will give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be interested in hearing what you thought of it. I've decided that I want to read Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall by Spike Milligan. My daughter said she thought that was a hilarious read as well.

      Delete
  5. Houdi just wants your undivided attention, no matter what time of day or night.
    I hope the stress is relieved soon and your stomach feels more settled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of things simmering in the background. Really. I just need to learn how to control my response to these things.

      Delete
  6. Hope your stomach feels better soon...is a reduction in stress prescribed?
    The suggestion of putting less kibble out at a time sounds a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I look at all the people I know, virtually and face to face, and really, everyone is dealing with some frustration. That's life, isn't it. And when I look around there are plenty of people who would look at me and think I'm fortunate. I just need to learn not to allow myself to become focused on just a single aspect of my life.

      Delete
  7. Oh, cats and their ways to express their displeasure. Thankfully, he doesn't do it with pee. Been there, done that. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he ever started that mess, he would not be an indoor cat. I couldn't handle that. I wouldn't handle it, as heartless as it sounds.

      Delete
  8. An episode of Who's the Boss - Houdini edition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he's not the boss, and he needs to get used to that. Oh. Wait...sorry. I need to tend to my cat...

      Delete
  9. I hope that you feel more comfortable soon. I have had similar stomach issues which I am sure has been down to stress.
    Perhaps Puckoon will help??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to bed early to read the last 20 pages of it. I've really had a good time with that book, and now that they are in possession of a casket of dynamite, I am reckoning it will get pretty exciting. I think that it's hysterical everytime that Dan Milligan begins to argue with the author.

      Delete
  10. We had a cat that peed on our pillow when upset with us. So a bit of kibble on the floor isn’t really all that bad. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would happen just once. He would never be allowed out of the kitchen and basement again.

      Delete
  11. Oh, that mischievous, strong-willed cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stinker. Reading other comments, I guess that I can call myself lucky.

      Delete
  12. Good sounding literature there. Bad cat! Bad cat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debby, you mentioned a little while back having a kidney stone issue. I know that when mine is playing up, I tend to have gastric problems. Probably not your situation but I thought I'd mention it.
    Now I want to read that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, the last time that stone acted up, I did have nausea, which has never happened before. I don't know that the two things are related, but I can tell you that since that, I've been drinking a lot of fluid. I slosh when I do my 10,000 steps. :)

      Delete
  14. I have got to find that book! Right up my alley.
    Sorry for the tummy issues. I hope you are right, and it's just from stress. Bad enough at that, but better than something that will require surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, be sure to come back and tell me what you think of it.

      Delete
  15. Sorry about your stomach issues. Hope the stress dies down and you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I need to learn to keep things in perspective.

      Delete
  16. Sun makes a big difference, doesn't it? I haven't heard of that book but I'll have to look for it! I hope your stomach is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It surely does! I need you to tell me what you thought of it. It's a hoot.

      Delete
  17. So, Houdi has become a willful, slightly petulant furbag? :) Entering his teen years perhaps........What a rascal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ouch, Debby! I'm sorry about your tummy problems. I know when my tummy is bad, my whole body feels bad. I hope everything gets settled quickly. It sure does seem like I'm falling apart. Sigh... Right now, my left knee is killing me. Doggone it!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Friday

l’m old enough to remember  that putting the National Guard  on college campuses is a bad idea. Bernie Sanders might be old but he has said ...