Sunday, March 31, 2024

Auction Day

 As noted, we went to an auction on Saturday. Tim wanted something. He wanted something quite badly. He went there with a mind to get this screen door. It was obviously from an old store, and was complete with the Sunbeam bread advertisement sprayed on that screen. He just wanted it. I don't know why. 

It isn't a bad thing. I doubt that I would have picked it, but it seemed to trigger something in his heart. 

We got to the auction early, to have a looky-lu. To be honest, I did not think we'd be walking out of there with much. Since you seemed to enjoy the last link,.here's this weeks auction.

There were three things that I saw in this sale that made my heart go 'pitty pat'. One of them appears in the slideshow. Two of them, however, do not. They were the things that I wanted, and one of them, I made my mind up that I was not going home without it, if it was within my power to do so. 

Tim got his screen door, for $150. He was well pleased with himself. After that, he handed me the number and told me he was going to the restroom. 

While he was gone, something came up that I knew he would love and so I bought it. 

When he sat down, I handed him back our number and said, "I bought you a present." 

He looked very surprised and said "What did you get me?"

I said, mysteriously, "You'll see."

He looked quite intrigued. 

I said, "It was expensive, but when you see it, I think that you will agree that it is well worth the $275."

Oh my gosh! The look on his face. I thought he was going to fall out of his chair. He was speechless. 

I confessed. He collects oil memorabilia. (We live in oil country.) There was an old kerosene can that came up, a 5 gallon can, with good strong graphics. No one bid on it. When it went down to $10, I bid and won it. 

After the auction, we gathered our things together to leave. Tim said, "I like that can. That's a good one." He liked it even better when he picked it up. It was a full can! (Kerosene goes for between $4 and $5 a gallon.) We don't have any use for the kerosene, but we know people that do. We'll tell Mattie and Levi to use the kerosene in their lanterns, and give us the can back when it is empty. 

I will tell you about my finds tomorrow. 

29 comments:

  1. They sure have a lot of interesting stuff. Does it all sell? I couldn't guess what you might have bought. I'll be happy to read all about it tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of it does sell, believe it or not. There was a Chippendale blanket chest that sold for $125. A 'primitive' cupboard sold for $425. There were marbles that sold for $25 EACH! Every time I thought something would go for big money, it didn't! Craziest thing.

      Delete
  2. Such fun to purchase items that have so much history around them. I do wonder where that screen door originated...some little store along a road which probably isn't traveled much these days. Store was raised for some new business or real estate venture, and some of the lumber was collected as well as the doors...my guess at least. I got a kick out of looking at the ceramics as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to seeing your new treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a marvelous thing. Once my hand went up, it did not go down.

      Delete
  4. I'm with Tim on the screen door. I would love to own that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why he was so drawn to it. It was unexpected but it made him happy.

      Delete
    2. In my case, it would be due to childhood memories.

      Delete
  5. My kitty corner neighbor is moving and put their house on the market for an exorbitant price last fall. I didn't see a single showing of it all winter. I found out yesterday that it will now be put up for an auction along with all it's contents towards the end of April. My neighborhood will be chalk full of looky loos, including myself most likely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been to an onsite auction. Tim is going to one next week.

      Delete
    2. They are quite common around here, perhaps because we generally have plenty of room needed for them. However, they are usually drawn out affairs and will kill most of a day even with two auctioneers working separate rings throughout the day. It makes it challenging if you are interested in something in both of the rings being auctioned off.

      Delete
  6. There is a lot of beauty in old things like cans, which were made with care to be attractive too. $10 less $5 of kerosene is quite a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Andrew! It is a five gallon can. We have five gallons of kerosene. Over $22 in kerosene.

      Delete
  7. Hahaha a bit early for April fooling over there isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for getting that oil can- and double yay for tricking Tim!😄Rigmor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it is those little things that make life interesting😜

      Delete
  9. A good auctioneer can psych up the bidders. You had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are good auctioneers. Tim does not get psyched up by them though. He knew what he was there for before he even walked into the auction house. He was there for that door. He got it.

      Delete
  10. It must be fun to bid at an auction. I'm sure I'd get carried away with the excitement and be fleeced.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I think I have said before, I have only been to one estate auction, and it wasn't for me. This was perhaps because I was broke at the time. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! That was a mean trick, scaring him about the price. :)

    The screen door is interesting. Is he going to use it as a screen door? You might have people showing up on your front porch looking to buy bread!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

The Walk

 When people comment on my relationship with William, it really brings a bit of a lump to my throat.  Our relationship has changed.  Things ...