Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Still Here

 Boy, I really do like having a smart watch. The bout with the kidney stone on Sunday has made me more mindful of my water intake. I set my watch for 60 oz, and record it as I drink it throughout the day. I do at least 10,000 steps a day. I exercise for at least an hour a day. It's a lot like having a teeny tiny drill sargeant on my wrist. (Sure beats having a drill sargeant on my ass. Been there. Done that.) 

In any case, we got the 'new' car today. Tim is quite pleased with it. We were quite surprised that the car manuals are not all that helpful. We thought we were locked out of it, but we figured it out. We had to ask another Suburu owner how to open the gas tank. Turns out there is a lever on the floor. We were looking on the dash, where they are on the other vehicles we own. We've never had a car with BlueTooth before, so that will be a novel experience. Just as soon as I sit down with the book and figure it out. (Glasses will help a great deal, I think.)

I ran into a coworker. When I last saw her, she was struggling because she could not have children, and wanted them desperately. Now 5 years later, I saw her in the Walmart. She and her husband began taking in foster children, and have adopted a boy and a girl.  I commented that her life had changed considerably since I last saw her, and with the biggest smile, she held her little daughter close and said, "Yes, and I am so happy!" It went without saying. She exuded joy. 

Tim picked up William after school today, as a surprise. He didn't know that Grandpa had gotten a new car, so he was delighted to be the first 'guest' to ride in it. 

It's cold and it is rainy, but I didn't mind. I planted my tomatoes. Romas, beef steak, and one lone cherry tomato. The cherry tomato seeds are from Amish plants. They get huge and one is enough. We will be in cherry tomatoes for the season. 

Early day tomorrow. Ladies day. Mattie and two of her sisters. 

I've gotten behind on commenting. I am reading your blogs, but I can't comment on some of your blogs on my phone, and I have much less time on the computer this week. 

I looked for Mangey tonight. I made up my mind to bring him in and isolate him. I did not find him. 


20 comments:

  1. You were talking about your car, and then you said, "I ran into a coworker." I miss a lot, but there are some things that tickle my funny bone. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief! I was just writing a comment to you saying that I could write comments with my iPad, BUT it would always force me to sign in as Anonymous. However, I could write with my MacBook or desktop computer and it would be OK. On the other hand, I often can't comment on a Wordpress. So then I pressed PUBLISH and it said there was a problem! What the heck! So here I am on my MacBook again.

    Anywaaaay... I was trying to tell you that this is such a happy post. You made me smile tonight. I'm so happy you're all happy with your car. And it's wonderful hearing about that friend who is so happy now with her adopted children. That's wonderful!

    Gosh... I've never grown tomatoes in Hawaii. I wonder why. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be growing in pots in the the greenhouse. We're not putting in a full garden. We just have no time for one.

      Delete
  3. Our first car with a remote fuel tank filler flap release was electric. The next was nest the driver's seat and cable operated along with the boot release. I think the car before was a pull out lever under the dash next to the bonnet release and our current car's flap opens when you push the car open button on the remote with the car open. It was not mentioned anywhere in the voluminous manual and we eventually worked it out ourselves.
    That's a nice story about your former co-worker. Some people are just born to need children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Amish tomatoes sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Mangey - not eating doesn't sound good when he is starving like that. I hope you can find him and get him to a vet.

    The manual with our car isn't that clear either. I had a sign come up but couldn't find for the life of me what it meant! A guessing game :)

    That Amish murder sounds awful. On the balance side, how wonderful your friend who couldn't have children has now adopted 2 and fosters others. A happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the thing to open the bonnet (which you call something else but I can't remember what - but it's the lid over the engine!) that is always somewhere different on cars we owned and had to be searched for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Learning your way round a new car is interesting and sometimes frustrating.
    It was so nice to read about your co-worker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your life will be revolutionised with Bluetooth in the car! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whenever I get a new car, I usually schedule an hour or so to sit in the drivers seat while reading the manual and cross referencing it with my surroundings. I always dislike jumping into a rental car with pressure to leave quickly and not knowing where anything is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've found it sometimes easier to just goggle a situation than try to use the manuals which are not very user friendly in my experience. There's generally a lot of help to be found online.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the new-to-you car! I was going to say what Mary Moon said, just Google what you want to know about the car.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can also use YouTube to figure things out on a new car.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You could try getting your smartwatch to comment, or your car. If you can't work out how to do it, the smartwatch will tell you about the car, and the car about the smartwatch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband has some really good stories about Marine Corps boot camp and his DI. I bet you could tell some tales, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm the opposite of you. If I had a watch on my arm, telling me what to do, I would do the opposite of you, less drinking, less walking, even though I do both well enough. I'm contrary, even if it's in my best interests:)
    I need to start my tomatoes soon but I think I'll wait another week or two, otherwise mine tend to get to gangly.
    I will need a car once I retire in June and I'm looking but it's hard to fine a decent one.
    It was nice to hear about William. I've wondered about him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the new vehicle and I hope your smart watch helps keep those stones away. One of our neighbors had to go to the ER because she went septic due to her kidney stones. Enjoy your Ladies day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your post was a ray of sunshine! Good stuff! I got a new car two years ago. I am still discovering new things it does to prove it is smarter than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank goodness there are some people who want to take in foster children. I admire them and the world needs them!

    I never read owners' manuals. I just hit buttons until whatever I want to happen happens. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Friday

l’m old enough to remember  that putting the National Guard  on college campuses is a bad idea. Bernie Sanders might be old but he has said ...