Monday, March 4, 2024

Music to our Ears.



 Well, the concert was good fun. It was not nearly as loud as the last event we went to, which was a bit of a relief to my poor ears. Tim enjoyed himself, and it made me happy to see him enjoying himself. There is something very nice about listening to music that you know all the words to.

For the last half of the concert, Tim wanted to be up front, and surprisingly, there was plenty of room to do so. I love to people watch, and there were plenty of people to watch. I watched a tall dark haired woman come up to a man and begin rubbing against him, her arms around his neck. They obviously knew each other, and she was talking earnestly in his face. He listened, but I noticed that his hands stayed in his pockets. He did not hug her back. He did not smile. A song came on that she loved and she turned her attention back to the band, and began to dance. He quickly sat down. She turned back to him and then leaned forward, still dancing, and removing her sweater in a flirty, flashy way. He did not look at her. 

I found this all very interesting. He was part of a group of three men. There may have been a fourth, but he was up and mingling in the crowd, while the other three stayed at their place. appreciating the music, clapping and cheering with the crowd. 

The Titusville Iron Works is just that, a huge old foundry building, probably a good city block in size. It is furnished with an eclectic mix of furniture: sofas, chairs, vintage kitchen chairs and tables, office furniture, benches, barber chairs, There are gas fires in cast iron clawfoot tubs and furniture arranged around these things. There's an old city street car filled with local memorabilia, old cars, old motorcycles. It's hard to explain, but I guess a picture is worth a thousand words. 



Anyways, these three (possibly four) men had staked claim on a sofa right up front that had a long bench in front of it that held their empty beer cans and the remnants of their meals. When the girl heard another song coming that she loved, she climbed up on the bench and began to dance. She must have been quite tipsy. The man who'd been trying so hard to ignore her leapt up to make sure she didn't fall, but acted as if he didn't quite know where to put his hands. He tried to talk to her, but the music was loud ('Tusk'.) He gave an 'I give up' sort of hand motion, and sat back down. 



After her song, the woman climbed off the bench and turned her attention once again to the man. Another man in the group crooked his finger at her and she went to the other end of the sofa to him. He was trying to have a quiet word with her, but...the music was loud, and another song came on that she liked and she disappeared into the crowd. 

I found it all fascinating. 

The three men were joined by another fellow and after a quick discussion (the show was nearing its end), I saw them fanning out in the crowd, craning their heads this way and that, obviously looking for someone. I got the idea that they were looking for that girl. They must have felt some responsibility to her. I found that interesting. Did they all come as a group? What happened? What was the story?

But in the end, the show ended, and the crowd began to filter out. I will never know. 

So that was our night. Something I found very odd was that in the middle of this set, the guitarist set aside his guitar and picked up, of all things, a flute! He began to play Bouree, which I will aways associate with Ian Anderson. I turned to Tim and said, "That's Jethro Tull!" It just struck both our ears as out of place. 


That was our night. I've never been a tribute band sort of person myself, but we've seen three of them now, and it is just nice to spend an evening listening to familiar songs that you know every word to. 

I spent a miserable day today. A kidney stone was on the move. It seems to be over and done with now. It gave me a good opportunity to try to figure out why my watch called my daughter 11 times during the concert. I still don't understand what happened there, but I did figure out how to lock the screen to prevent it. 

So that was the weekend. 

36 comments:

  1. The concert sounds terrific and what a quirky venue. I like cover bands as long as they perform with the original style. I hear of large concerts by older bands and performers and they subject the fans to their 'new' music, when all the people are there to hear their old music.
    I've heard passing kidney stones is painful. If it has gone, not so bad.
    I remember one phone I had and I can't remember why, but I was always accidently calling the first person in phone book, my ex sister in law.
    Your crowd observations were interesting to read and think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we went to see Kansas, it was a bit shocking to see these white haired fellows coming on stage. You envision them as being no different from those long ago album covers, and yet they've aged just like all of us. At the end of the concert, they thanked us and begged us not to die. They said that they needed all the fans they could get!

      On a side note: We saw Steve Howe once. What an amazing, amazing guitar player. Three bands performed: Yes, Genesis, and Asia. He had played with all three groups. The stage rotated for the different bands. He never sat down. He played for three straight hours without taking a break, mind blowing stuff The man looked cadaverous, but man, he could put on a show. The crowd went nuts.

      Delete
  2. I must admit I liked the flute music but it did trail off towards the end. That kidney stone sounds painful, glad it was on its way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love Ian Anderson. I never get tired of him and Jethro Tull. My favorite albums are Storm Watch and Heavy Horses.

      It was the first time that the kidney stone actually made me sick, but it's done and gone, and I'm being mindful about water. The smart watch is a great reminder for that.

      Delete
  3. We went to see a Dire Straights tribute band last Thursday..... , and very good though rather too loud for me! We were sitting close to the front and too near to a speaker I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever got a chance to see a band, it would be Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band. Unfortunately, I've missed that chance. Tim wanted to go see a tribute band for them (at the same venue) last summer. Oh my gosh. They were so loud that it actually made me feel sick and disoriented after the show walking down the quiet street. I had earplugs for this in my pocket. I only had to use them when we were right in the front. It was a much more pleasant experience to my thinking.

      Delete
  4. Nice to listen to some Prog on a Monday morning Debby. I have seen Tull five times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only seen them once, and it was great.

      Delete
    2. On one of your previous comments, you said that Stevie Nicks was playing in the UK somewhere. My daughter-in-law and a group of her gal pals went to see her in the Philadelphia area a few months back.

      They like to do live music. She and my son are going to see the Red Hot Chile Peppers in June. I get to babysit!!!

      Delete
    3. Hyde Park London England Debby.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about your kidney stone - nasty things, I gather.
    I like people watching, too, so long as the people I'm watching don't realise I'm watching;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only dealt with it once before, but it was a bad time, with a stent involved. I drink a lot of water and try to stick to a low oxalate diet.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a good venue and concert.
    Give your kidney stone a name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call him 'gone'! It's a lovely name, I think.

      Delete
  7. People watching is fascinating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! You can put a whole story together watching people. The story may be total fiction, but it is fun to do.

      Delete
    2. It uses our imagination creatively..an important exercise

      Delete
    3. My imagination receives a regular workout!

      Delete
  8. What an evening! Sorry about kidney stone. Loved the original Fleetwoods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked them. I think the whole world owned a copy of 'Rumors'. Tim loves them.

      Delete
  9. For the last several concerts, I have worn a special pair of ear buds that reduce the sound level by 22 decibels. I have been so much happier during and after the concerts wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use industrial triple flange. They were great! I could hear the music just fine. I had to remove one to make out any kind of conversation though. But it was great to finish off a night with our "the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in my head" (credit to Bob Seger). Like you, I found it made the whole experience a lot more enjoyable.

      Delete
  10. Don't shoot me but I never really liked Fleetwood Mac. Don't know why. I have seen scenarios like the one you witnessed with the drunk woman played out so many times. I'm glad she had some caretakers looking after her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a popular group and their music provided the backdrop to many scenes in our life. The music that provided that backdrop in your life might be completely different music. I would never shoot anyone for that. Stevie Nicks seemed to embody the dream of a lot of people, men and women alike. I've never seen more women dressed in flowing lace and scarves and hats. I know that there are a lot of men who still find her the stuff of dreams. In real life, the woman is a train wreck though, isn't she?

      Delete
    2. I think Stevie had a large gay male following too. At least in my experience.
      I forgot to say that I am SO sorry about your kidney stone. I hate those things!

      Delete
    3. I know that they have troubled you a lot more than they have me, so I count myself lucky. Man, do I drink water though!

      Delete
  11. Sounds like an interesting event - with regard to the audience as much as the tribute band. I doubt that anyone could ever truly replicate the voice of Stevie Nicks. Embroidered in her singing is her vulnerability and the all the things she ever went through - the ups and the downs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to watch people and invent their stories. My stories always end happily. Such is not always the case in real life. Stevie Nicks is, like many artists, a victim of herself in a lot of cases. She is a good songwriter and her voice was amazing. She had a presence back then, and she still does to this very day.

      Delete
  12. That has got to me the most unique concert review in history. :)

    Sorry about the stone, but it seemed to go quickly. I remember spending a whole long weekend in pretty close to agony. I had never had stones and didn't know what was happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first experience was awful. I didn't have a clue. This was not so bad. I recognized the symptoms. I felt like my back was breaking and spent the day nauseous, but knew that it would pass. And it did. I drank close to 80 ounces of water.

      Delete
  13. Very interesting account of the woman with the three guys. It sounds like maybe they all came together and she got too tipsy and they felt like they had to take care of her. Or maybe at the end they were looking for a fourth guy who came with them? Who knows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. The fourth guy was sitting with them all initially, but joined the crowd. He came back and joined the guys just before the show ended. They talked, in a group, and then fanned out into the crowd, craning their necks and peering around them. It's hard telling what was going on there, but I made a nice story up in my head, and it had a happy ending: A drunk girl was seen safely home by four acquaintances'

      Delete
  14. People watching - endlessly fascinating. I hope they found her and got her safely home.

    Fleetwood Mac have always been one of my favourite bands (plus Maddy Prior and the like). Sounds like a great night out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not want to respond until I had a chance to learn about Maddy Prior. She has a nice voice and I enjoyed listening to English folk music.

      Delete
  15. That was so much fun, but I confess I enjoyed your interpretation of what was going on during your people watch even more. Sounds like that girl was not quite sober.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may be the understatement of the year!

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Friday

l’m old enough to remember  that putting the National Guard  on college campuses is a bad idea. Bernie Sanders might be old but he has said ...