Monday, March 11, 2024

I Can See Clearly Now...


This is the south side of the house. Tim made a design change, deciding to put 3 windows on this side of the house.  So, these are the two windows that we put in the area that is our livingroom. The windows are short enough that a sofa can be slipped in under them. 



The narrow window is to the left of the door. He really wanted a window so that you could quickly see who was at the door. The door lies to the left of those two livingroom windows in the last picture. This little nook will hold a six foot log bench. Underneath it will be the boot tray and a wooden box to hold mittens and hats. There will be hooks installed in the corner to hang coats. 


This is my design feature. Can you guess what it is? 

I'll tell you. It is our computer area. I wanted a little window to provide light. It is tucked away in the little cubby between the outer wall and what will be, at some point, a walled in stairwell. Tim put his own special touch in that corner as well. 





This is my kitchen. That window will be above my kitchen sink. That second window, to the left is actually in a different room (well it will be once the plumbing and wiring is inspected, and we can get the insulation in and the drywall up). Anyways, that will be the pantry. It is big enough for the hoosier cabinet, and a couple of wheeled steel shelving units, the idea being that I want an easily cleanable space. It is where the vacuum and the broom and mop will be stored as well. 

So there you have it. Windows. 

Tomorrow, we will resume rough wiring. We hope to have that done by the end of the week. 

Then we will start on the plumbing. 

PS: I admitted it to Tim. He was right about the windows. I can see clearly now...and they make everything much brighter. 

Here's a shot for all you photograpers out there: 


15 comments:

  1. I always say you can't have enough windows! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor carp. The bird taking a ride must be so heavy for it.
    Slowly what was in your head, and then drawn comes to resemble a liveable house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see plans coming into reality..and more windows are good, especially as now we can have double , or triple glazing like in Scandinavia

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be so satisfying seeing your design take shape.
    I had to look up hoosier and I found this: a native or inhabitant of the state of Indiana, US.
    I'm still perplexed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It should be bright enough, but there is something fishy about the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have a door from kitchen to pantry, can’t see one, and what is a hoosier? Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the absolute worst at being able to visualize what a finished project will look like. I do like your windows and I agree- Tim was right. What satisfaction you will take in being in a house that you two built.
    Now- as for that osprey carrying the fish- I have seen that more than once. It is not an especially uncommon sight down here, especially on the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exciting how your home is coming together and you can see your plans taking shape. Well done, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That fish looks alarmed. (And rightly so.)

    You can never have too many windows, in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea of a pantry with a window. I remember old houses had a bulter's pantry...where dishware and silver were stored, but a separate food pantry! The butler got the window!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see the inside of what you've been working on! And if you open a window on a pleasant day, you'll get free flying fish for dinner! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a really old photo of the osprey.
    Really looking forward to them coming back to the UK during April. The British ospreys normally migrate to West Africa.
    Their return is MY sign of spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the update and windows are something you can never have too many of, except when they need to be cleaned.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! I do like a lot of light in a house.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Friday

l’m old enough to remember  that putting the National Guard  on college campuses is a bad idea. Bernie Sanders might be old but he has said ...