Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Little Things

 I was so exasperated yesterday, when I tried to delete a draft and wound up deleting a post instead. I've been struggling a little here, and when things get overwhelming, it just seems like I can think of nothing but that one big thing.  In the end, as always, I came to the familiar conclusions: It is what it is, and whatever happens, I will deal with it. Once that conclusion is reached, it seems like my mind lets go of that one big thing and once again, I begin to notice the little things around me. 

And, lets get real, that's all this blog is: a compilation of the little things around me. Why you all keep reading is beyond me! But I'm glad you are. 

To the commenter who noted that she has bad luck growing tomato plants, I bought the coolest little things. 


The great thing about these is that they are totally reusable. You fill them with your potting medium, plant your seeds, set the tray into the water tray and let it go. You water from the bottom and when you are ready, you lift the top tray out and the plants pop out from the flexible bottom. It worked so well on tomatoes that I bought a second for my cucumbers, which I intend to grow hydroponically again after an abysmal failure the first year (I have figured out what I did wrong though. I think. Worth another try since I have all the equpment I need.) 

Note to Tasker: No tomato is ever wasted. You end up with seven and only want four? Well, sir, you have received a sign from the universe that you're supposed to give three away. Easy peasy. I, myself have planted four zucchini seeds. I only actually want one, so that means that I will be up to my armpits in zucchini and looking for homes. (This is how you make sure that you don't ever wind up with an overwhelming number of friends. After one good zucchini season, they all run when they see you, and hide behind their curtains not answering your knock.) 

Channeling my inner Mary Moon, yesterday, I saw a packet of okra seeds on a rack of 20 cent seeds. (Twenty cents!) They are a wonderful addition to gumbos and soups, so I got a package of them. I resisted an urge to buy yet another seed tray. These will be planted in paper cups. 

While I was mooching about the store, finding little bargains, I decided to run back and check the houseplants. One can never tell when one will find a distressed house plant in need of saving, and reduced to a ridiculous price. Always worth a look. There was another elderly lady there with a younger woman (perhaps a grand daughter). I try to be pretty non-judgemental as a rule, but I'm going to tell you, These people smelled. Horribly. I don't think that I've ever been around such a smell. The elderly womam looked dirty. The younger woman did not. Maybe it was just the grandmother that smelled so awful. It wasn't anything definable, like she'd had some sort of bowel accident that she couldn't help. It was just this over whelming smell of funk. But how does a person get to that point and not notice? Or if they don't notice, how do the people around them not notice? How does anyone let someone they love get into that state? I don't know. I tend to be pretty direct. I'd be saying it outright. "I don't want to hurt your feelings but you smell bad. Here's some lovely scented soap. The shower's in there." 

It's snowing here again, I am sad to say, and it is awfully cold, but in the handful of warm spring like days, I got out to walk. Something that I much admired in England were hellebores. I'd never seen them here. Reading up on them, I got the idea that they might be something that could be grown here, but I never seen them, so I wasn't exactly certain. Guess what? I saw one while I was out for a walk. I wanted to examine it closely, but couldn't. You just don't want to walk up on somebody's yard. That's how you get yourself shot. But, there it was. Proof positive. I can grow them here. I can't wait until we get in the new house and I can begin assembling things. 

I had to go back to the hospital to get the rest of my tests done. I didn't have time to do them all on Friday. I'd just done the lab work that required fasting. I still needed the chest x-ray and ekg. By luck, I got registrar 1 again, the same lovely person who had processed me through the first two times that there were no orders in the system for me. She must have recognized my name because she had my name plugged into the system before I even walked in. She said, "Guess what! I have orders for you!" I laughed. I said, "I know you do. I was back here Friday to get the blood work done. I need to finish it up today." She said, "Well, you were very pleasant about all of it, really." I said, "You know, I'm thinking it was because I hadn't had my coffee both times you saw me. I just didn't have the energy to make a big stink about it. I'm caffeinated now, sistah, so let's just get this done, and don't give me any problems." It always feels good to share a laugh, doesn't it?

So I'm surrounded by little signs of spring everywhere. Things budding out, splashes of bright yellow forsythia. I can see magnolia and azalea getting ready to do something big. There will be daffodils soon and tulips, too. Another season is coming. 

And keeping with his annual tradition, Tim has gotten his tractor stuck. 

42 comments:

  1. You're all set for a good growing season.
    I was at the hairdresser one day when a woman came and flopped down in the chair next to me. She smelt dirty and I was so surprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I want to make it clear. Sometimes people come in to a store and they smell like a barn, or of sweat...in short, they smell like they have worked. To my nose, that is not offensive. This was something much different and much more overwhelming.It's hard to explain. The individual that I had experience with was bipolar, and the not bathing was a sign of a down cycle. It was a warning sign.

      Delete
  2. I get feeling so overwhelmed when I have too many balls in the air, even if they're all little balls. Spring, two trips, work, retirement, health benefits, Jack, the filth on my floors from the dogs muddy feet, taxes, nothing big on it's own, except Jack I guess, but added all up and it feels heavy. I'm off this week so I made a list and I'm crossing jobs off. I even added wash the floors to the list, just so I could cross it of:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know that feeling! I have been known to do the same!

      Delete
  3. We have hellebores up here too! (Mid-Hudson Valley)Years ago I bought one for Christmas, and planted it in the garden that spring.. it blooms every December! Outside! I guess that’s why it’s also called Christmas Rose😄Happy seed planting- it’s such an exciting time of the year, isn’t it?! Xo Rigmor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to see you back! I didn't see that there should be a reason why they can't grow here, but shoot. Now that I know that they grow up there, well...we'll be fine down here.

      Delete
  4. We have hellebore in our garden so hopefully there should be a variety that will grow in your climate too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really exciting to see them growing nicely.

      Delete
  5. That awful faecal smell with an extra element that hits you in the back of the throat? That's the smell of bowel cancer.
    Not washing...is the feeling of why bother any more...or there is so much going on you can't get your head round doing that as well.
    And why you don't say anything..just because you care for the person inside and knows that saying anything could hurt...and that the only person who can really do anything about it is that person inside.

    Well done on passing plants on...you get the instructions to plant two or three seeds and pinch out the weaker ones when they germinate. That is hard to do !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. It was not an awful fecal smell. It was not that at all. I guess I disagree. The thing is gz, you recognize that the person is slipping, you intervene because you love them. Not bathing puts them further and further away from getting better. I will disagree with you on this and it is actually something I have personal experience with.

      Delete
  6. I am so proud that I inspired you to buy a packet of okra seeds for 20 cents! I hope they grow. And if they don't? Oh well. They probably will though.
    Are there ever too many tomatoes? Really? Make a tomato pie. Best thing ever.
    We have a friend who smells. He just does. And there are reasons- he hasn't had hot water in a year. Now. He can afford to get a new water heater. Why hasn't he? Because he's not really of sound mind. Also, he is incontinent because of severe health problems. He absolutely should be in care but refuses to even consider it. He is barely mobile. He has no relatives except for a brother who lives a few hours away, has mental challenges, and is also very ill. He's just not going to smell good and that's all there is to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that I was wrong to form an opinion. There may be details I do not know, but If you love someone you say the words. You try to intervene. That is my opinion.

      Delete
    2. Oh, Debby- we have tried. It angers him tremendously.

      Delete
  7. My favourite blogs are the ones who "chit-chat" about the little daily things they're doing and seeing and feeling, just like you do. It's like having a visit and a cup of coffee with a friend. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! It doesn't get get any more chit chat than this.

      Delete
  8. I need to write a chit chatty blog post of my own to catch up on my vegetable seeds' progress! In about two weeks it will be time to plant out around here, my tomato plants are almost 6 inches high and getting bushy, the peppers are sloooowly catching up. Some herbs and other veggies will be directly sown in the ground--melons and rattlesnake beans from Mary Moon! :)

    These are my favorite kind of blog posts to read, so write on, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read about your rattlesnake beans and had serious bean envy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I pricked out twenty tomato seedlings and potted them up in individual plant pots yesterday and I planted my Jerusalem artichokes Debby. It's the little things that are so important in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a special joy in watching the magic happen every spring, watching tiny plants emerge from tiny seeds. It's a happy thing, and I know I'm preaching to the choir when I tell you this! If I was there, I'd be swapping artichokes for aloe vera plants.

      Delete
  11. Your first paragraph really made me think.....I am stressing big time about my son's wedding in June. It is in Slovenia so there is an awful lots to stress about. Will the taxi arrive to take us to the train station in the middle of the night , for the train that may or may not come to take us to Gatwick airport for an early flight.? Can I stand in a possible queue for ages without my back being in agony? Will our luggage arrive with us? Will I be cold in my outfit....(at least I already have that!!) or do I also need a jacket? That is just the start of my concerns! It is what it is....and I will cope shall be my mantra..thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of the line: "What cannot be changed must be endured." My daughter got married in Tlbisi, Georgia. We couldn't go due to all the travel restrictions. It was during the time of covid. I completely bypassed all your worries and went straight into sad. Still...he is a good person. I am glad they found each other.

      Delete
  12. It's that time of the year when fingers need to sow the plants, whether flowers or vegetables for summer. I have fallen in love with the small sweet yellow tomato, but there is such a selection of tomatoes it is sometimes hard to choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stick to the three 'old reliables': beefsteak to slice on my morning toast, romas for sauce, and cherry tomatoes for my salads. I am a simple gal. :)

      Delete
  13. Your comment brings to mind an incident nearly 40 years ago when I was a Staff Nurse here in the UK. One of the student nurses really smelt of cheesy feet and body odour. His white tunic was grey and stained and his hair was greasy. We, as a team, knew we needed to say something but who was going to do the deed? We actually drew straws! Seriously! And muggins here literally drew the short straw. I knew he lived in the nurses accommodation so all washing facilities provided, including free laundry service for uniforms - he was just idle. He took it pretty well. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek! I cannot imagine a nurse being that unaware of basic hygiene! Was he a good nurse? Did he graduate the program?

      Delete
  14. Yours is a good blog to read. You make the ordinary into something interesting, and I never know whether there will be an ending zinger of some sort, like Tim's tractor today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year. I swear to you. I got quite upset with him this year. He gets irritated with people who do not learn from their mistakes. And yet, there sits the tractor up to its hubs.

      Delete
  15. I think there is magic in the "little things" in life. That's pretty much what my blog is about too. In fact, I avoid the big things. LOL

    Dave and I always marvel that we never knew about hellebores while living in America. I don't know why they're not more popular there.

    As for the odiferous woman -- maybe the younger woman is around her so much that she's simply stopped smelling her, and thus is unaware how much of a problem it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how that could be, but maybe you're right. They walked past Tim and I at one point. Tim said, "Their house has to smell that way too." To me, that's a sign that something serious is going on mentally. The person needs help. Surely there are loved ones to step up to the plate and speak frankly with her, and get to the root of the problem. The smell is only going to isolate her from the rest of the world and isolation is the very last thing that a elderly person needs.

      Delete
  16. I know that I could smell when my ex was about to have a mental health episode, not (just) because of personal hygiene issues but also as there seemed a metallic scent come to the fore. I have also worked with people who seem to have a stand against bo juice (deodorant) - in this climate you gotta use it or wash well several times a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite honestly, Jeanie, there is a big difference between a day's sweat and what was going on with this woman. I don't mind that. Not at all. That's an interesting observation though about your ex. We saw warning signs as well, but it was more of a general unraveling, so subtle that at first you didn't notice. But once the hygiene started slipping, you knew that something was happening.

      Delete
  17. Debby I love your blog because you help us all to think about things! It IS the little things that can either swamp us or lift us up. We can help others learn how to ride them out by sharing our own experiences. Reading about your zucchini seeds, I had a chuckle remembering the chapter in "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver titled "Zucchini Larceny," where she and other neighborhood gardeners would "gift" each other with the bounty of zucchinis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garrison Keillor did a wonderful monologue about zucchini season in Lake Wobegon. I couldn't find it, but I remember one line clearly. It was the only time that people in Lake Wobegon locked their car doors. If they didn't, someone would fill the back seat with zucchini. We love them here. Small ones with peppers and onions and garlic, big ones hollowed out and stuffed with Italian sausage, peppers, onions, sauce and covered in mozzarella, and baked until the zucchini was soft. Or do them 'mexican style' with taco seasoned meat and salsa and mexican cheese. The possibilities are endless really. Tim had never eaten a zucchini before we met. Now they are one of his favorites. Mine too.

      Delete
  18. I enjoy reading about what is going on with you. Makes me feel like we are penpals catching up. I hope all of your tests turn out fine and all your seeds grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those things are routine, and nothing at all. They are just boxes to be checked. Peppers always are the things that give me concern. They take so much longer to germinate and I always hold my breath thinking that this is the year they don't.

      Delete
  19. Debby, I think that the reasons blogging so appeals to me above any other social media, which I do not engage in, is that people seem to share more about their lives and experiences, especially the day-by-day things that are often "common" to many others.

    What you described about the woman was unfortunate and perhaps as someone else has commented, any smells just become acceptable, even though that is difficult to understand.

    I hope all your upcoming tests go well and also that Tim's tractor gets unstuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tim's tractor will be stuck for a while, unfortunately. There is no way to get something in there to pull it out without running the risk of getting that stuck too. Part of our property is being reclaimed from the beavers. The thing that Tim never seems to remember is that it might look dry on the surface, but beneath it, it is still very wet. He only remembers when the tractor sinks hub deep. I told him I was going to chain the tractor up next spring.

      Delete
  20. Well that explains why my comment disappeared. Fortunately it was just one post and not a lot of them.

    On my recent trip to Greece, we climbed this large hill that ended up with just a smallish 20 ft by 20 ft platform on top with a few benches. We brought up sandwiches and fruit to enjoy as a picnic lunch on top. Shortly after we started eating, a young man came up and his funk, stunk up the entire place. At one point, he walked over to about four feet from me and it reeked so bad that it was nearly causing me to retch. I finally got up and walked over to the other side to finish my sandwich. Finally he left and the air cleared out again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I was able to put that post back. I didn't know it was possible, so that was a new thing I learned.

      It's not that I didn't feel badly for the woman. I did. Mostly because she obviously needed help and she did not appear to be getting it.

      Delete
  21. I love the banter at the hospital! Thanks for brightening my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know several elderly people who refuse to accept help, suggestions, urgings, ultimatums, and everything else the families have tried short of getting a group of people in to physically take control…. The seniors aren’t yet at the point where a judge would strip them of agency, so the families are stymied…. It’s often so hard for people to accept their limitations as they age, isn’t it? Of course, we’ll all be reasonable ourselves when we get there, right? 😝.

    Or maybe this family has had covid and lost their sense of smell??

    Dee

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Friday

l’m old enough to remember  that putting the National Guard  on college campuses is a bad idea. Bernie Sanders might be old but he has said ...