Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Weary

I am sure that everyone has seen the video of the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge. I lived in Baltimore for a couple years while my ex-husband attended Johns Hopkins University. It's just strange to think that something like that happened in a place that I knew. 



 Today was a mixed bag day. We started the day attending to the debacle of 'us vs the city'. Best possible scenario? We end up with a bit of leverage. If not, we are receiving some sound professional advice. It is a time for waiting for things to unfold, but I'm not so good at waiting. Unfortunately, we don't have much choice in the matter. The first packet of bills were delivered before 9:30 am on February 22nd. The second billing was received by their office at 11:18 March 5th. The city has not responded. 


We are putting installing the plumbing at the new build. We will continue with that project tomorrow. We have two vent pipes to put in as well. 

Other than that, I am waiting on two orders of books. Puckoon, To Say Nothing of The Dog, Hoot, Lamb, Diary of a Nobody (when Jaycee writes her book, she'll have to find another title for it, I guess!), Thank You Jeeves and McCarthy's bar. It will be an interesting pile of books and I'm sure that one (or more) of them should tickle my funny bone, which really could use a bit of a tickle right now. 

I couldn't afford to buy all of your book selections, but I did list them in a notebook for my purse. I am sure that most of them can be found at the library. Again, thanks, everyone for your suggestions. 

That's about it, really. It's just been a tense time, and it is not going to stop. However, we've started the ball rolling, and we will continue on course. We will know how the story ends when it ends. 

Someone else has been waiting. Her waiting is done. Stop over and congratulate Jenny. She's a grandma! 

35 comments:

  1. Tom Petty was almost Pretty.
    Maybe I was too young, but we had to study Puckoon in secondary school. I just didn't get it all.
    What a bad for Jaycee.
    I have no idea how available it now is but in my profile is one of my favourite books, which is funny and very Australian set in, as I recall, the 1890s. The Cousin from Fiji.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Puckoon is very good and very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Puckoon should be read aloud?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have just begun it but it has given me a couple giggles already.

      Delete
  4. You have a good selection of books there and can switch from one to another as the mood takes you.
    Boo to the city!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss young men with lots of hair but enjoyed the song. As for waiting that is what bureaucracy is best at, they hope you will go away or die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not going to go away. However I suppose dying is ultimately out of my hands.

      Delete
  6. Good luck with your battle with bureaucracy .
    I haven't read Puckoon but I really should. Thanks for the nudge. Diary of a Nobody is very "English"... I hope you enjoy it.
    By the way, I am currently working on my book... its working title is "A Yawn A Minute".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A yawn a minute???? Spoken by someone who has jetted off to Italy AND Bermuda in the space of two months????!!! Riiiiiiiiiight. I imagine that the yawn part came in as you flew back from your last vacation with those bed seats in first class. It WOULD be hard to keep your eyes open in those circumstances! 😉

      Delete
  7. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/26/baltimore-bridge-ship-previous-collision-antwerp-2016 this should be read about the ship...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that. Maersk was also slapped with a pretty hefty fine for retaliation against whistleblowers, instituting a policy that required employees to bring concerns to them instead of reporting them to outside agencies, which allowed them to address issues without oversight. It seems that this particular ship had previously experienced this issue.

      Delete
  8. Make sure you send the city a letter from a good lawyer. We had an issue with our town and it went on for seven years then we went to court and of course we won. The person from the city sent someone else to court because he knew he was wrong. We should have had a good lawyer at the beginning. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It looks like that is where we are headed. We have found someone with a camera to send down the line. We will give it a couple weeks to see if we receive anything from the city.

      Delete
  9. That bridge collapse was tragic. I was surprised how quickly it crumbled into the water.
    Waiting is rough but you are organized and determined so I think you will persevere, Debby. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will persevere. Whether it does us any good, we will see.

      Delete
  10. That Tom Petty song is an anthem of mine. I am not good at waiting either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Local Govts can be almost impossible to deal with sometimes. I hope this works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like a lot of self important people are attracted to the positions sometimes.

      Delete
  12. I know this has got to be frustrating! It would drive me crazy too. I sympathize. (Or empathize? I can never remember.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I have never thought of it. Empathize is our ability to understand another's struggle while sympathy is defined as empathy along with relief that it is not happening to you. I don't know that I agree with that.

      Delete
  13. Do hang in there with the city, small town administrations frequently are full of self important people. They're gonna ignore you as long as they can hoping you'll go away. However, I doubt seriously that you will. May take a lawyer to get their attention, unfortunate that that is the case, but here we are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are making steady progress with the new digs, even if the other issue drags on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Thank you for that reminder. You are right. I need to keep it in perspective. Everybody deals with some damn aggravation.

      Delete
  15. Tom Petty was right, the waiting is the hardest part. I want things resolved now, and you do too. It riles my guts sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Debby. I was SO glad to hear that Tam and baby were doing well after the traumatic debacle at the hospital. They are now safely home and I get to meet still-nameless baby on Saturday (she's gorgeous btw!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a frightening time for poor Tam and Jon, but they are home now, and with a beautiful baby. I can't wait to hear her name!

      Delete
  17. Keep fighting the good fight, Debby. I hope that everything works out in the best possible way for you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall see what we shall see. It is just aggravating!

      Delete
  18. Oh no... No wonder you ended up with stomach problems with all this going on!
    Your ex went to Johns Hopkins too? My son also went there and is working for them now. Although he moved overseas, when he lived in Maryland he sometimes drove on that bridge to go to work. This is so scary.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Friday

l’m old enough to remember  that putting the National Guard  on college campuses is a bad idea. Bernie Sanders might be old but he has said ...