Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Big Stuff.


Here's a funny one: I was looking for giant pumpkin seeds for Tim's grandsons. I thought it would be a fun summer activity for them. They are a pretty easy to grow thing, and it would be fun for them to watch them grow over the summer. 

So. 

I hunted around on line, reading about giant pumpkin seeds. Can you believe that people are selling. 5 giant pumpkin seeds for $150? Another place wanted $40 per seed! There you go, Northsider! That's a business for you! How many seeds does a pumpkin have? You could sell them at a bargain price of $10 apiece and still wind up with plenty of dosh to splash around at the carboots! 

Large pumpkins are much more reasonably priced than giant pumpkins, and I'm sure that they will be exciting enough to watch through the summer. 

Other than that, not much to report. Quiet day shopping for birthday presents. We found a nice sale and got all the interior door knobs for the house at $6. each, on clearance. We also got a low profile hall light for the laundry space for $15. Tim ran up to Levi's to get some rough cut to have on hand, and he picked up the stuff we need to start doing the plumbing work. Tomorrow is a one person day, with very little stepping and fetching, and it's a little too early for 'hold this right here like that'. 

So I've got a day off...which is great, because tomorrow is Book Club. I have not been able to make the meetings. The assigned reading this month was to read a banned book. I read two, actually. Since they were children's books, it was quite easy to do. I read "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian" by Sherman Alexie and Laura Ingall Wilder's Little House on the Prairie. 

What's interesting about the Little House series, is that I read them as a child and adored them. Every year at the beginning of the school year, I would go to the library, and check the books out, one at a time, and reread them. Every year of elementary school. My initial thoughts were that it was ridiculous that the books were on the banned list, but then came the day when I was reading a passage to William. The Indians had gathered to declare war on the white settlers. The Osage Indians, led by Soldat du Chene came to the powwow and argued against it, fearing that if they killed whites, the government would deliver a disasterous response. The chief felt so strongly about this that he said that if the decision was made to attack, that he and his tribe would fight them. 

The powwow lasted for three days, with drumming and war cries, and a Laura described the fear of lying in bed at night and hearing this. The family was fearful of attack. It must have been terrifying. in the end, the decision was reached. They would not attack the settlers. 

William was probably 8. Maybe 9. We discussed it. It was very easy to view the Indians as 'the enemy', but we also discussed the situation from the Indian's point of view. It was a back and forth discussion, and William was interested. 

We have Bob the Buffalo hanging in our library. The interesting thing about Bob is that he is a very old mount. His head is filled with concrete, and the board he is mounted on is very, very old. The story (unverified) from the man we got him from was that he bought the thing from an estate sale of Cornelius Vanderbilt back when he was a very young man. Who knows if it is true, really. He was an elderly white haired gentleman at this point, giving it to me because after years of moving, hauling it from one part of the country to the other, after 40 years, he realized that his wife was dead serious when she said that Bob was not going to hang in her house. Ever. 

For my part, I thought "HA!!! Here's my chance to get one over on Tim. He'll never believe that I got him a buffalo for his birthday." The deal was done, and it was only after the fact that I realized just how big a buffalo head is. His wife had a valid point. It took three people to get the thing on the wall, and this was only after installing a massive lag bolt directly into the stud. 

But I digress. Cornelius Vanderbilt was a key player in the building of the transcontinental railroad. When the government decided to take care of the "Indian Problem", one of the tactics used was to slaughter millions of buffalo. Indians died of starvation. Cornelius would, for entertainment, have a gentleman's car, loaded with wealthy men, and they would shoot buffalo from the trains. He would have the heads mounted and hand them out like party favors once the taxidermy work was done. 

Bob might well be one of those. The age of him is right. Taxidermy was a rich man's realm. And then there is the story of where he came from. 

Who knows for sure? 


Bob isn't talking.

But William and I discussed these things, the unfairness, and the cruelty, and the fact that when you treat people badly, it generally causes bad feelings. We discussed the fact that it was a different time. We discussed racism. It was a healthy conversation. 

And in my mind, it was silly to ban the Little House books although I was could acknowledge that they required discussion.

Last Christmas, I bought a set of these books for my grandaughter, who was five. She loves to be read to, and she's into chapter books now. Laura is her age in the first book. I bought the books early, early, early, before Tim's surgery, and in the months in between, I found myself wavering. Iris is a pure spirit. She loves everyone. She doesn't know about racism.  As they read the books, her good parents would have had much the same discussion with her that William and I had, but she would be hearing for the first time that there are people in this world who see others as less than human. 

William was old enough to know that this can happen. Being raised in the time of Trump, he saw the evidence with his own eyes, from the mouth of the president, and echoed by his cult. However, Iris was too young to see it. 

She will, sadly. 

Once that happens, it will be discussed with her. and after that, I think the books will be fine for her. They are safely tucked away upstairs waiting for her. She will have those books read to her and she will hear "Ma hated Indians." She will already know that thinking is wrong. I just didn't want those beloved books to be the introduction to that ugliness.

Alexie's book was entirely different. He was a middle school kid, a smart boy who had gotten into the 'good school'. His struggle to fit in. His encounters with prejudice in his school but also at home. His former friends, the kids that he'd grown up with suddenly saw him as not quite 'Indian' enough. There was also quite a preoccupation with sex. 

William and I read this book too. It was discussed with his mother. In the end we decided that boys his age think about this stuff anyways. I knew they talked about it. I'd heard them as I waited for William at the corner. While I was uncomfortable reading some of it to William (and he probably was embarrassed to hear his grandmother reading it to him), the book generated a lot of discussion. Good discussion. About the toll of drugs and alcohol on the reservation, about the pain of growing up the son of alcoholics. His sister was murdered. 

Banned books are interesting, but in the end, I think the adults in a child's life should be the ones to make that final decision. Both of these banned books have very strong and redeeming qualities. 

We have certainly come a long way from the topic of giant pumpkins haven't we?

14 comments:

  1. Those must be some special seeds! Bob is big! I can't believe some school district banned Little House on the Prairie! I feel like I'll have to read banned books to my future grandkids, just so they know how the world really is, and the history that got us to today. You're a good grandma, and I bet Bob is glad you're telling the full story too. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could start a Rock band called The Smashing Pumpkins? Oh that's already been done. I opened a packet of tomatoes 🍅 seeds the other day and it only contained EIGHT seeds. What a rip off. I use to watch Little House On The Praerie. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is missing at all levels and ages is rational discussion. So no understanding develops.

    Expensive seed here can often be F1 hybrids, so more expensive to produce. Also if you are breeding for giant size that must take a lot of time and more work nurturing them!
    Are the pumpkins to carve always so tasteless? Perhaps you lose taste in growing size. I don't know. I prefer growing more smaller ones, then you can use a whole one for one recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Banning books is a step in the wrong direction and I'm glad you've decided to discuss them with William. 'Politically correct' can change with politicians and their policies.
    There's so much nonsense now. A lawyer in this country is being prosecuted for saying that only women can menstruate. Presumably it is because it 'excludes' trans men. The world has gone mad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband has got some water buffalo horns in the garage. He sometimes suggests a place in the house that he could put them.....NO!
    At one time they were above our bed......many years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  6. With a brain-full of concrete, Bob must certainly be a heavy bu**ar! Crazy that the giant pumpkin seeds be so expensive.

    I read the Laura Ingalls Wilder books to my girls (having missed out on them myself as a child). I loved them as they did, and tbh the Indian problems went over their heads (probably mine too at the time). Perhaps skip those pages and return to them when she is older and can discuss that situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it makes sense to wait until Iris is slightly older for Little House. I don't remember what age I was when I read them, but I was definitely older than five. I think your approach to dealing with sensitive subject matter is exactly right -- talk about it! I suspect many parents don't want to have those uncomfortable conversations, so their solution is to just eliminate the book. That doesn't prepare kids for life.

    Isn't it funny how "Little House" is so controversial now? When I was a kid it was a reading staple, not to mention a wildly popular TV show!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not sure that my mom or dad ever even knew what I was reading, and I was always reading. I taught myself how to read at the age of 4 (according to my mom) and read everything in the house - all of the encyclopedias, the Reader's Digest Condensed books, all the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys series, and Little House on the Prairie series, all before I got to first grade. I don't remember if any of the books' contents were shocking to me, and certainly never remembered talking to my parents about any of them. When I had my son, I did curate his book selections, and made sure they were age-appropriate. I read to him from day one and we talked about what we read. It was the delight of my life to share reading with him. Your grandson is so fortunate to have you. I hope to the kind of grandma you are one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From seeds to [supposedly] seedy books. 😊 I think you have been doing it well. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have written a very thought-provoking and important post here. I, too, have come across these situations with my grandchildren. The one that springs to mind was Dr. Doolittle. I loved those books as a child so much and began to read the first one to August and realized that it had some very uncomplimentary descriptions of Africans. Very stereotypical and typical for the time it was written. But it also has animals which don't even exist- the pushmi-pullyu, for example. The very basis of the books is that Dr. Doolittle can speak with animals, and so- it's magical and very imaginative.
    I think that you did handle those books with William perfectly. And I wonder if we give too much credence to books for their ability to shape our children's minds. We read them and we did not become racist assholes. Is it any more moral of us to deny children books based on the way things used to be thought of than it is for the book banners to deny them books with LGBTQ characters?
    It's not a simple subject with easily defined boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure if you are aware that I used to raise pumpkins as a business throughout my teens. I used my earnings to pay for my college education. Growing the giant pumpkins is a real science, at least if you are trying for the biggest pumpkin award at a specific time. To get the really giant ones, you have to cull all the fruit from one plant except one and then care for it carefully. Even then, it might split, ripen to early, get eaten up by squash beetles and such, scratching an entire summer's worth of effort. Growing giant pumpkins for awards is also a closely guarded secret among growers. There is a huge market for seeds of specific pumpkins that might have been grown a decade ago just to cross breed and get an even better pumpkin with thicker rind, etc. I'm not surprised that you found some for $150 online for a few seeds. But I know you can get some basic varieties through most seed catalogs for a tiny fraction of that amount to get your grandkid started.

    I hadn't heard that Little House On the Prairie was banned though I'm aware that it has raised some eyebrows when we look at it through modern lenses instead of the lenses that were around when it was written. We have a set in our house that both kids have been through and I have no concerns because like you, we were responsible parents and talked about the context in which it was written.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You really rambled o today but you have important and right things to say. An important point is that these books should be read with input from adults as you did with William.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My book club chose the Sherman Alexie book for June and I read it this month. In some ways it reminded me of Everything Sad is Untrue by Daniel Nayeri. You might be interested in that one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Giant pumpkins are not your average jack'o'lantern pumpkins, though.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2024-03-11/toowoomba-school-students-smash-queensland-pumpkin-record/103573656?utm_source=abc_news_app&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_campaign=abc_news_app&utm_content=other

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Friday

l’m old enough to remember  that putting the National Guard  on college campuses is a bad idea. Bernie Sanders might be old but he has said ...