Monday, March 18, 2024

Other Lives

 

Sorry folks. I managed to delete a post. I've put it back, but your comments have been lost. 

 12 out of 12 tomato plants have germinated. My zucchini and cucumbers too. I'm still waiting on 8 pepper plants. That little bit of spring never fails to make me glad. 

We were going to go to an auction today. Here's a link for people who like to look through. The fellow was quite a hunter and there were a lot of mounts. That mystifies me. Why on earth would someone want to hang a trophy that didn't belong to them? But Tim said that one guy snapped up like 75 of them for $100 a pop. There was a lot of art, something that would have appealed greatly to Northsider Dave. We were looking forward to going. We are still getting the feel for this stuff. 

Last night about bedtime, I ended up with quite a gastro issue that kept me up a large portion of the night. I was not feeling terrific this morning either, and felt it was prudent to keep close to the conveniences of home, so off Tim went by himself. 

It was packed and he said that there were no bargains to be had. Furniture selling for thousands. Still, he went and watched and bought a toolbox. (Why am I not surprised?) He brought it home and began to sort through it to see what sort of goodies he had. One of the things was a packet of pamphlets and papers. Turned out it was for a John Deere riding lawnmower. It even had (I'm guessing) a spare key taped to the inside of the owner's manual. 

Tim said, "Huh. A lady bought a John Deere rider there." (He was dumbfounded that she had paid over $4000 for it, which is about the price of a new one.) I said, "Boy, she'd probably like to have that stuff." When Tim mentioned that she seemed to be a friend of the auctioneer, we got the idea to call and leave our contact information at the auction house. We can drop the paperwork off the next time we go through. They keep records of bidder information, and can contact the woman who bought the tractor.

Another thing that was in this packet was warranty information that provided a name and address for the first owner. Because I am a curious soul who is glad that she was not born a cat, I looked up the name. I quickly discovered that he had passed away back in 2022. It provided his wife's name, so I looked that up and discovered that she had passed last fall. 

Little coincidences. They lived about an hour from here, but they had both worked at a factory that Tim's mother had worked at years back. It was interesting to think that they might have known of each other. Tim's cousin is the minister of a Methodist church in that small city. This couple was Methodist. Another link. 

We nosied through the details and coincidences of their lives. It was a second marriage for both of them. She had been widowed in November of 1972, and she had re-married in September of 1976. But that poor woman! Her son died in December of 1977 at the age of 23. Two years after that, her daughter died at age 21. 

Within 6 years, she'd been widowed, remarried, and then lost both of her children. How does a person get past something like that?

10 comments:

  1. Please have a look at my blog post yesterday Debby. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to get the paperwork to the John Deere.
    I went to a couple of auctions with Mountain Man.
    At one all the local farmers got together...lots were bought for pence by them....and afterwards everything was returned to the son who had inherited the farm but no stock or kit...
    Another, for a widow, the prices were sky high. Looking after one of their community. The only things that they didn't buy, unsurprisingly went to a young person in need of that bit of kit...
    I don't know if that would still be happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so irritating when things are accidentally deleted. Never mind - onwards and upwards:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have several early plants IN my garden: Lettuce, spinach, peas (somewhat spotty, though) and radishes. The 24 degrees last night didn't bother them one bit. I haven't ever had a lot of luck starting plants inside. For some reason they are weak little babies, every time. So I buy what few Tomato plants I need in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'd never get over it. You'd just keep on breathing so it might look like you had. Can't imagine. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is pretty profound, right there, Kate.

      Delete
  6. Well, at least you could recover the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked. I thought it was lost and gone forever. Turns out you can teach an old dog new tricks! (Don't tell Olga I gave up that tidbit of knowledge.)

      Delete
  7. As I said on YP's blog, all lives are tragic, but some more tragic than others.
    7 out of 7 tomato germinations. We only want 4. Why is it that if you sow 4, only one germinates, but if you sow 7, they all do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because tomatoes are the gift that keep on giving. Send those plants out into the world with the words: 'be fruitful and multiply!!!'

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Friday

l’m old enough to remember  that putting the National Guard  on college campuses is a bad idea. Bernie Sanders might be old but he has said ...