Thursday, November 2, 2023

Woke

 It was a fairly nice day today, and Houdi began getting antsy to go outside, so I let him out. It was supposed to be a cold night, and I was curious how he'd behave once it began to get cold outside. 

Tim has not been sleeping well at night. We are not sure why. His 'restless legs' have become restless arms and legs so he does a lot of twitching and moving, which means that I'm not getting a lot of sleep either. The Hydroxyzine prescribed for his legs does not seem to be effective anymore. The night before last he did not fall asleep until between 4 and 5 am. Then we both slept until 10 and were walking around like zombies for the rest of the day. Appropriate for Halloween, doncha think?

My daughter-in-law checked in to see how we were doing. I told her about the problem we were having and she said, "Has he ever had his magnesium levels checked?" She explained that low magnesium can cause muscle twitches and sleeplessness. I went through his blood work and there was no numbers for magnesium. I messaged his doctor to explain the problem and ask if she thought it might be worth it to have that number checked. In the meantime, we stopped and bought a bottle of magnesium supplements, the smallest bottle, just to see if it might help while we were waiting for the doctor to message back. 

Last night, Tim did not twitch. He slept most of the night, although he did get up for about an hour. He got his shower, and I helped him get dressed. By the time that I was finished with my shower, he was asleep on the couch. 

"Nope!" I said, and got him up. "You can't sleep all day. We need to keep you busy." 

He wanted to price a new cross bow. I needed a phone card. I needed to pick up some bread flour, being all inspired by Suffolk Sue. I promised Tim cinnamon rolls. Little errands, which I stretched out as long as possible. He didn't go in all the stores, but he stayed awake in the car waiting when he didn't go in. He wanted to stop into an antique store where he saw a Wolfshead five gallon oil can for $45. He needed to drop off a receipt. We kept busy for most of the day.

I got home and threw together my dough. A friend popped in just as I was pulling the cinnamon rolls out of the oven. "That was perfect timing," I said. 

I knew that Ray would keep Tim awake. 

I was right. He sure did. 

Ray was holding forth in the livingroom about Biden opening the border to the illegal aliens because he needed their votes. 

"Bullshit," I said. 

Ray looked surprised and outraged.

"Number one: you apply for asylum by entering the country and requesting it. That's the way it is done. It always has been, so there is nothing illegal about what they are doing. Number two: you cannot vote for a president unless you are an American citizen. All the damn bullshit going on in the country, and you're going to pick something that is provably untrue to get your bowels in an uproar about."

He said, "So. Tell me. You'd vote for 'Bite-me Biden'? 

"If it's between him and Trump, I sure will." 

He threw up his hands. "Ah, laaaaaaady....." 

I said, "You asked. Don't you come in my house, ask me my opinion, and then fight me about it."

Tim was wide awake. He threw in a couple comments to make it clear that we were both of the same mindset. 

Ray sat in stormy silence. 

I googled on my phone. 

Tim watched football. 

Ray tried again. "Well, you're right that there's a lot of crap going on. I don't even bother to try to keep up with it." 

I said, "Well, the truth is there. If you can't be be bothered to look for it, you're part of the problem.  Don't come here spouting your Qanon crazy if you don't want it countered with fact." 

He sat quietly and watched the game with Tim. 

"When you went to England, did you feel afraid?" he asked.

"No." 

"There weren't any A-rabs or mideastern guys on your flight?"

"Yeah. But everyone I met was very nice. I certainly didn't have a single reason to be afraid." 

He digested this. "My sister-in-law is going to Ireland with the marching band. My brother said he's got no intentions of getting on that plane."

"Well, everyone I know who's gone on that trip has had a great time. I'd do it in a minute." 

He pondered this, watching the game. Finally, he said, "Well. I guess I'll be heading up on the hill. I'm getting tired." 

We walked him to the door. I sent him home with some chicken and biscuits and some cinnamon rolls. 

I went to the back door and called for Houdi. He came right in without hesitation. I opened a can of catfood for him. I shut off the lights and headed back to the livingroom.



50 comments:

  1. If more people who are not crazy nut jobs would speak up with the truth, there might just be a tiny bit of change - just a tiny bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just to add a bit of good news - shy little Timmy cat slept on my bed all night last night. Also curled up in a spot of sunshine on the other end of the couch I was sitting on yesterday afternoon. Bless him.

      Delete
    2. How happy that makes me Ana!

      Delete
  2. I really have started to feel personally furious when coming across the Rays of this world. Firstly, I never assume people share the same views as me (they so often don’t) and secondly, I dislike the use of political nick-names - so Trumpian - to put down people which is a lazy short-cut designed to end discussions.

    What I love about this as that you gave Ray food to take home: civility is everything in a polarised society.

    My best wishes for good health and happiness to both of you.

    Sue







    But civility is so important and I love the way you gave food to Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing about Ray is that he knows we feel differently about things. We've had similar discussions when he came to this house to talk about 'Ovomit' when Obama was president. I think it's rude as hell to walk into a house and basically pick a fight with people which is why I now just give it back to him when he starts his mess.

    He's an old man, and frail. I always feed him. I always send him home with food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Methinks Ray is spending too much time watching Fox and OAN. That stuff he was spewing is standard right-wing BS talking points. Not based in fact, just conspiracy garbage. And you are right, it's rude as hell to come in to a friend's home and do what he did, especially when he knows your views. But I did love that you were kind to him and sent him home with food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He lives a very isolated life. Never married. I have some concerns about his mental wellbeing.

      Delete
  5. It would have been so much easier to be non committal and pretend you were uninterested, and I am most impressed that you didn't and spoke some common sense truth to someone who wasn't using any at all. I hope this Ray is too frail to get out and vote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three cheers for Ray for at least listening to the other side of the argument - not many people on either side are willing to do that. At least Tim didn't get much chance for a snooze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he listened really as tried to reopen discussion to his point of view. We don't agree on presidents. Maybe we can agree that politics are chaotic. No? Maybe we can agree that the world is scary? No? Well, I am tired. Let me get supper and go home.

      Delete
  7. The split in thinking is a hard one to overcome. You did right of course, set out your views and then respected Ray enough to feed him. I am slightly giggling as I write this, as one who has gone into the fight flailing with fury ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thelma , I will admit to being madder than my words let on. It seemed as if his intention was to provoke. I had to rein myself in and use my words. He may not have remembered our previous conversations. There are some pretty clear signs of mental decline.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you didn't feel frightened over here! We are mostly normal. And thank you for the mention and I'm happy that my post got you baking and you gave some away despite his views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that America is a far scarier place to be right now.

      Delete
  9. What an interesting exchange. I'm glad you challenged Ray's thinking. It amazes me, the things some people believe about international travel and conditions overseas. I've occasionally had people ask me if I'm afraid living in England because of the "no-go zones" (there's no such thing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His thinking seemed to center on the flight there and back. He was most certainly trying to turn the talk to terrorists which would allow him to circle back to why we need to keep foreigners out

      Delete
  10. Oh my. As Steve said, what an interesting exchange. This is how we get into trouble and cause so much harm to others, with beliefs that have no foundation. I am so glad that you spoke your mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't understand people who will get so fired up on such nonsense. Provably wrong.

      Delete
  11. 'Atta girl, Debby!
    Bonnie in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we hadn't dealt with this before, I might have been more patient.

      Delete
  12. Ah yes, magnesium. I had frequent leg/muscle twitches and occasional leg cramps for a long time. My magnesium WAS low. I take daily supplements now and no muscle twitches or flutters. Glad your DIL clued you in.

    As for your neighbor.... *sigh*

    Take care, Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, if it is not too intrusive can I ask your dose?

      Delete
    2. Debby, I sent you an email. Kris

      Delete
    3. Kris...thank you SO much. I can't respond right now. I will tomorrow, but I will tomorrow. I appreciate this.

      Delete
  13. You recapitulate well and interestingly and managed to bookend the rest with Houdi. Well done. You get an A for that. 😎⭐

    ReplyDelete
  14. The is some truth is the adage never to talk religion, money or politics. Facts don't change opinions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, gracefully dropping the topic when you discover the hosts feel differently would have been helpful.

      Delete
  15. I'll have to grab a bottle of magnesium and do a test to see if that helps me sleep a bit better. I tend to toss and turn a lot too.

    Technically, the US and Canada and the US and Europe have agreements in place to allow asylum seekers to enter the country and then request asylum. The US and Mexico have no such agreement. Thus Biden has implemented a rule stating asylum seekers on our southern border must first request asylum in another country and be denied before entering the US to request asylum, hence the reason thousands are being deported every week. They can't legally enter the US and request asylum for the first time.

    But I agree with the voting. I suspect the fear among most republicans is that those non citizens will be able to falsify their identities and vote anyway and thus the push for voter ID laws. My district, still had to verify my name and address before I could vote prior to voter ID laws and I assume that was the case in most precincts so if two people tried to vote using the same name and address, it would have been flagged. I've always felt there was a lot of middle ground on this topic where they could make our voting process a bit more secure without alienating any citizen who wants to vote.

    I may not vote for president at all this round if it continues the way everyone if forecasting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never consider not voting at this point.

      Delete
  16. Good for you, Debby! Not only is Ray terribly deranged in his thinking, he is RUDE. I know he's old but manners are manners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have known Ray for many, many years. I am a bit concerned about his mind at this point. He may not have even remembered that we've disagreed on this in the past.

      Delete
  17. Thanks for speaking up to Ray! I hope many vote Blue next year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My feet move all night, I wear holes in my sheets right where my feet are at night, the one I took off yesterday had a big hole in one corner. I am thrifty so I will just turn it around and use the other side for a while. I sleep alone so I have three more corners to use. I wish I had to buy new sheets but sleeping alone is my lot in life now. Good for you, speaking up. Ray thinks he is right and probably was raised that way. I heard old people say if I don't agree with my party I will not vote for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't enter my mind not to vote at this point. I believe in country over party.

      Delete
    2. I vote every election and for the person I think needs in to do the job right. I ask questions, read and listen and then make up my mind.

      Delete
  19. Well done on the magnesium..think about vitamin D3 as well, the sunshine vitamin that should help both of you.. possibly you should think of the magnesium as well?
    Oh boy what a neighbour..but at least he kept Tim awake!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim takes vitamin d already. Gz what would be a good dosage for magnesium already

      Delete
  20. I wish more people would read the book I touted at the end of last year about civility. (I Never Thought of It That Way by Mónica Guzmán) That "conversation" would have worn me out. I know many folks don't approve, but I lean towards third parties when I don't like my choices. It's what I did in the last two presidential races.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a difference between opinions and straightforward misinformation.

      Delete
  21. I love the way you didn't mince words and the way he may have heard them. Fingers crossed that all people can see sense eventually and before they do any damage. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ...any more damage, do you mean? I would like to say that I made a difference in his thinking but I really don't hold out a lot of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Magnesium? That's amazing! How awesome that you were advised of that cure.
    And you are awesome, Debby! Good for you to try and deprogram a cult follower because that's what Trump feels like.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, people are leaving because they are dying. No hiding behind your keyboard.

      Delete
  25. GOOD FOR YOU! I love how you handled that! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...