Sunday, November 12, 2023

Monkey Bread

 William has been here for the weekend and it has been a while since he has spent a weekend with us. 

He wanted to play his computer games all the time. I tried hard to discourage that one. 

Kay had a post about Too Good to Go, which is a cool idea to reduce food waste. It is an app that you can install. That got me all off on a google tangent for a while, but Kay's post, she mentioned monkey bread. 

I have not made monkey bread in years, but there is a simple recipe which uses buttermilk biscuits from the refrigerated section at Aldi's. I got an idea that it might be a thing which kept William occupied for a while. It's a very kid friendly recipe:

Two cans buttermilk biscuits

1/2 cup sugar

1 tablespoon cinnamon.

Dump this into a lidded plastic bowl. 

Open the biscuits and cut each biscuits into quarters. drop them, a few at a time, into the container of  cinnamon sugar. give them a good shaking to coat them and then drop them into a bundt pan that has been oiled. 

Once the dough is all coated and in the bundt pan, melt 3/4 cup of butter, add 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I also dumped in the rest of the cinnamon sugar. Blend it until smooth and then pour it over the biscuit pieces. 

Pop the pan into the oven and bake. They say 15 minutes, but we baked ours for 30. 

Take the bundt pan out, flip it. Break it apart, and dip the pieces in the ooey gooey-ness.

(Disclaimer: nothing gourmet about this, but my kids liked it quite a bit.)

This morning, William helped with some raking, at the rehab, and in our own back yard. When we came in, he began to pester for his computer time. 

"Nope," I said. "Get your shoes back on. We're going to the store. You're going to bake monkey bread." 

"Oh, boy," he said. 

Noting the lack of an exclamation mark, I said suspiciously, "Was that sarcasm? Because it kind of sounded like sarcasm."

(Don't judge me. Grandmas can get sarcastic too.)

He rolled his eyes. "Oh, no. There was NO sarcasm. I'm really excited. I can't wait." 

(I'm pretty sure he thought he was being funny.)

He got in the car and we went to the store, and we got the biscuits. I had everything else. I brought him home and brought the recipe up on my phone and washed dishes while he followed the recipe, grumbling "I don't really see where these are any different from cinnamon rolls. It's the exact same thing."

I said, "Well, if you want to make cinnamon rolls, we can do that!!!" in an excited voice, making sure that I was adding plenty of exclamation marks. 

At the thought of  a quick baking project turning into a bread baking afternoon, he just shushed and started cutting the biscuits into quarters. 

He followed the instructions well and within a half hour, he was popping the pan into the oven. 

He left the kitchen to play with his hoverball in the livingroom. 



(It was a $10 investment to stop the pestering. Don't judge me. Grandmas get fed up too.)

When the monkey bread was done, I pulled it out of the oven and flipped it on to a plate. After it cooled for a few minutes, I called him out. 

"You break a piece off and then you dip it in the ooey-gooey stuff and then you eat it."

He studied it suspiciously, but broke off a piece of it and sloodged it around in the ooey gooey. He popped it into his mouth. His expression changed. He broke off another piece and sloodged it around. In a bit more interested voice, he said, "Wow! This is pretty good!" 

I noticed that he was, once again, using exclamation marks.

"So...what you're saying is that from time to time, I do know what I'm talking about..."

"Sometimes," he agreed, with hardly any eye rolling at all. He broke off another piece of monkey bread.

In case you did not notice, in 3 months, William will be a teenager. No exclamation mark.


41 comments:

  1. I dread Jack becoming a teenager. I suck at raising teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now off to visit the dentist ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monkey bread is yummy! I haven't made it for such a long time. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be a Christmas morning treat with the strata.

      Delete
  4. Perhaps William will form a garage band Debby? Oh to be a teenager again.🎸

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had an immediate remembrance of a dear friend no longer with us. She used to love making monkey bread, and her diabetic husband loved it. An almost teen grandson does sound wonderful. All mine are late teens and adults. Not half as much fun (oops, don't tell them that!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes. The pre-teen years. At least you were the ultimate victor in the Lesson of the Monkey Bread. :)

    Does he still use his VR headset? Or has it fallen by the wayside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VR is the joy of his life. It is a great motivational tool.

      Delete
  7. That was a good project and appreciated in the end, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt as if I had pulled a rabbit from my hat!

      Delete
  8. I haven't thought about monkey bread in years! It's an easy recipe to "veganize", so I believe it will make an appearance in my house during the holidays. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Kay had not mentioned it, I would not have remembered it myself.

      Delete
  9. There's little difference between a pre-teen and a teenager. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting to realize that. I remember the days when gramma could do no wrong.

      Delete
  10. What a great post! And so very true to my own experience. I've never made monkey bread, probably because I know I would eat way too much of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With grands around, you can just let them have at.

      Delete
  11. I'm going to try hard NOT to make the monkey bread. It sounds too fabulous for me to be sensible with.
    And as a gramma of three boys, thanks for the gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ollie's, 9.99. Make sure that what you get has a flexible cage, so that it bounces instead of shattering as they will with a brittle cage.

      Delete
  12. You know I'd never heard of monkey bread before. I wonder why it's called that anyway. It did look awfully tempting. Unfortunately, since I am diabetic, I can't make it. However... I did send the recipe to my daughter and teenage granddaughter. :-) You are an awesome grandmother, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not really. I am just a grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well I am rather amused by William, but smart Grandma will prevail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wants what he wants. There is a whole 'nuther world to be a part of.

      Delete
  15. I am laughing so hard, Debbie! That age, it's a wonder any of them survive!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The last time we made monkey bread, perhaps a handful of years ago, we only baked it for 15 minutes too most likely because I just remember the center of it being a raw mess. If I make it again, I'll add more time like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I learned that the hard way just like you did. The Amish make a version of this, it occurred me. Mattie calls it 'pops'. She makes it in a single layer in a baking pan. Seems like it would cook better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We don't have buttermilk biscuits let alone cans of that ingredient in our aldi - we do, however have frozen spinach which I could not find for love or money when we visited California. Considering I put on weight just reading your recipe I am probably pretty glad about that. I have a teenager with all the exclamation points...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have those tubes of dough that you unwrap and 'pop'?!!! They are not great, tbh, but for this application, they work. The next time I make bread though, I will save some dough and do it the Amish way.

      Delete
  19. I may have Williams twin all the way over here in southern Australia, only he has already turned 13! Good luck it’s an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, teenagers! Lucky you just have one to work with..I remember having four in the house, just about...between 11 and 19...

    ReplyDelete
  21. He is a grandchild. We also had four at one point. Hard to believe that they now range in age from 42 to 33.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...