Monday, November 20, 2023

The Angry Woman

 I suppose we all know a person like her. She is a forceful woman, opinionated and outspoken. No matter what is going on, she is in the middle of it. It is a chronic complaint that 'if she didn't do it, it would not get done.' The problem is that if someone feels sorry and tries to pitch in, she criticizes, mercilessly. Not just to her volunteer, but to everyone in the vicinity. Everyone knows that *sniff* "she would have done it differently, *sniff* but of course, (modestly lowering her eyes) that's just her..." 

The first time that I saw that in action, I made a silent note to myself: 'Do NOT ever volunteer for anything that that woman is involved in...I would look like a screw up before all was said and done. She would make sure of it.'

Into that little social circle came another family, and that woman was just as actively involved in her community as this woman. When she heard, 'if I don't do it,  it will not get done...', she stepped forward and pitched in. I watched and I waited, and inevitably, the sniffing and the snideness began.  

It was ignored. The 'new girl' simply continued working on. Even worse, people responded to her methods much more favorably, so she was able to accomplish a lot more. 

That indignity was too much to be borne, and so the 'old girl' and her husband left that little group, and threw themselves in to another group where her efforts would be "more appreciated". 

Last week, I was quite surprised to hear that she'd received probably the greatest shock of her 60+ years. I know I was shocked for her. 

It had to be humiliating for her. I found myself feeling sorry for her. I hadn't seen her in months, but I couldn't stop thinking about how different her life must be. I remembered how hard it is to continue on when you know that people are discussing  you behind your back. Holding your head up and continuing on with life even when you feel like curling up in a hole someplace and never emerging. The more I thought about it, the more sympathy I had for her, but the fact is, she didn't like me. I couldn't exactly just walk up to her house, tap on her door and say, "Hey...you've been on my mind..."

I've been ticking off my Christmas shopping. William's done. Iris and Ruby are done. Tim's grands are done. My daughter and son-in-law in England are done. The shopping is complete for the Levi and Mattie's kids. All that shopping, and still I'm holding good on my vow not to use Amazon. (I'm quite proud of that.) 

Today, Tim and I went to two stores to do a bit of a comparison shop. We found what we were looking for and made up our minds where to make those purchases. I was standing in the check out line when I noticed her: that woman that's preoccupied my thoughts. 

She looked as if she's lost some weight and her hair was carefully curled, a real change from her usual business-like bob. I felt as if I should maybe go say hello and wish her a happy holiday. Except maybe it wasn't going to be a happy holiday. Would she think that I was the one being snide? Maybe just: "Hello. It's good to see you." Nothing else, just a courtesy. 

 I was waiting for Tim at the front of the checkout. She was several people back in line. I was still hesitating when it happened: we both caught each other's eye. She glared at me with a shocking ferocity. It was so unexpected that I flinched. 

Tim and I went out the door and walked across the parking lot. I mused on it to Tim. He said, "I thought that was her..." 

It's still hard not to feel a bit sorry for her. I hope that she is finding comfort somewhere. 

30 comments:

  1. She is obviously her own worst enemy... and she doesn't even know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that she might have an inkling but I don't think she's willing to accept it. Not yet anyway.

      Delete
  2. You just can't win with some people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure I know anyone really like that but I certainly know people who are their own worst enemies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone does. People have said that about me.

      Delete
  4. There is a woman with self-inflicted problems. I doubt she has any friends. The "friend" who drove me off her forum doesn't have any real life friends either. Not too surprising . . .

    Well done for avoiding Amazon. Unfortunately I can't get out to go Christmas shopping, so everything is being bought online and some of it from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has to do what is right for them. It's a personal thing with me. Having a friend drive you away is very sad. Everyone else must see her for what she is though.

      Delete
  5. I have come to the conclusion that we can't help being what we are. It is unfortunate for those like her and for those exposed to people like her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that we can change. Behaviors are harder because they are almost reflexive. But I know people who have done very hard work to change. My grandfather was a lifelong alcoholic. He married late in life. He quit drinking on the day his son was born.

      Delete
  6. Ow! Makes you feel sorry but not sorry for her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad, but in an instant, I no longer felt compelled to reach out.

      Delete
  7. Unfortunately there are such a lot of women like her out there. They put me off committee work long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why. I just knew that I could never work with her. I'm not as patient as I should be.

      Delete
  8. Best to not associate with people like that. They try to make other people feel like they are less than they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being important is not a bad thing in most cases. It is the need to be the most important that is so destructive.

      Delete
  9. There's some old saying that goes something along the lines of, "She has to dig a hole for others to stand in so she can feel bigger than they are."
    I find that I can feel sorry for people like that and I can see why they probably turned out like that but it does not mean I have to have anything to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am catching up with your posts and the Joshua saga. Very wise of you to trust your instincts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is unwise to ignore the instincts of a good dog. That is what I know.

      Delete
  11. Anger is a defensive posture. She probably thinks people are judging her or making assumptions about her, but unfortunately, that defensiveness prevents anyone from reaching out. There's nothing wrong with feeling sorry for her but still not engaging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. Anger is my go to when I am afraid.

      Delete
  12. There's no easy answer with some people. Best to concentrate on those who appreciate us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. In the glare of her stare, I realized right away that 1) I would never be a comfort to her and 2) I am just too old for that much mad. Honestly.

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a case of really low self esteem to me. I feel sorry for her, she's always trying to make herself feel better than those around her and doesn't realize that it has the opposite effect.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From where I see it, it has nothing to do with low self esteem. She is just very competitive.

      Delete
  14. I've often pondered if they eventually realize that they have less people in their lives for a reason. If they ever do realize it, I guess I've not seen anyone change their behavior to rectify things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am kind of quietly convinced that this woman doesn't actually want people in her life.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...