Friday, November 17, 2023

For Bovey Belle

 It did not strike me until later that 'pot belly' stove might be an unfamiliar word for some folks. It is a small wood or coal burning heat stove to stick into a work shop or, in Levi's case, he builds hunting shanties. This can be stuck into a corner and kept fed with scraps from his saw mill. The only moving parts on the door and the grate at the bottom. You open the 'draft' at the bottom to pull more oxygen into the base of the fire to make it burn quickly. It is also where you clean out the ashes. It's usually wide open while you're starting the fire. Once the fire catches, you adjust it so that the heat is not being directed straight up the chimney. There is usually a draft in the chimney as well, a plate inside the chimney pipe controlled by a handle outside the pipe so that you can control the amount heat going up your chimney. A fine line between losing all your heat and filling your space with smoke! Your fire will burn more slowly, but provides more heat. 

The draft on the door would be kept shut during that process so that the shanty does not fill with smoke. It would be opened a bit to let heat into the room and also as a way to insure that the fire was getting the right amount of oxygen. You can also keep an eye on whether or not you need to add more wood without opening the door. The cast iron also collects and radiates the heat. You don't want to touch a pot belly stove. 


The stove would sit on a fireproof piece. It would be set away from the wall. Usually there is a fireguard behind it too, to protect the wall. 

So there is everything you need to know about pot belly stoves. 


Mattie called today. I was glad to hear from her. She did not know who had dropped off the rocking chair and the woodstove. They were puzzled. I told her about the auction. She was very interested. Her sister Katie got married this week, and I imagine that they are looking for furniture. 

She said that Andy (her oldest boy) had gone to the neighbor's house, but no one really understood what had happened, so I explained it to her. When I told her that the man's name was Joshua, and that he had said Levi had done some business with him, buying some tools, she exclaimed, "I know exactly who you are talking about. He was back here today." He was trying to sell Levi some tools that are against their rules.  

The first time that the guy came to the house, he was with his father. Now he is coming alone and Mattie is uneasy about him. She, too, worries about drugs. The long and the short of it is that they did not get robbed. They are on alert. That's good enough for now.

The question came up and I wanted to make sure that everyone understood. The police were not called, because Joshua did not do anything illegal. He was suspicious, sure. Shady as hell. But he had not done anything to be arrested for, although he certainly warranted keeping an eye on. 


or maybe he was just a rural version of Jim Carey. 

Dunno. 

Thanksgiving is coming. Tomorrow morning, I'll pick up a batch of turkeys. We will be spending the holiday with my sister and her family. 



19 comments:

  1. How many is a batch? And do you cook them all yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delivering some. I'm getting a total of 4.

      Delete
  2. Excellent piece on the pot belly stove. Until I was 9 that's what we used to heat our old house. It was taken out in the summer so we had more space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're getting 4 turkeys? WOW! I have to just get one and still haven't done it. Sigh.... OK, this weekend, for sure. I really need to get my act going. That is a cool pot belly stove!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a pot belly stove in my small workshop in the 1980s. It did the job.

    Glad that they know who the visitor was. Sounds like he should know better than think of offering that sort of goods to Levi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a new phrase to me, our village primary school used to be heated by pot-bellied stoves - very warm if you happened to be in that corner of the room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that Joshua does not turn out to be a persistent problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad everyone is aware of Joshua now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice updates about the stove and the guy. Now, you get a 'batch' of turkeys? How many are your feeding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year, I believe more than 50. But i am only making one turkey. Someone else is making another. A third person is making a ham. Some is bringing a roaster of mashed potatoes. Someone else is bringing a roaster of stuffing. Everyone brings a dish or two to pass. No one has ever gone away hungry.

      Delete
  9. We heated with a wood stove back in hippie days. It worked pretty well. As long as you had enough wood! I know that wood stove technology has come a long way from the pot belly days but those still have their use for sure.
    Fifty people! Where are you going to put everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good that all those people know about Joshua, and are keeping an eye out for him - whatever his problem is. I'm glad you were able to gift the stove and rocker to the family, which will use them wherever needed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My grandparents had 2 pot belly stoves in their house. As I remember the whole stove get hot to the touch. I can remember one getting so hot it turned a little red from the heat. I think most of us grandchildren bumped against it or touched it at one time or another, only once and then we walked way around it. They were the large stoves. My mom had a small one in her wash room. Ohio gets cold in an outside building sometimes. They do heat a small room in just a little time. When my parents married and moved into a large two story farmhouse, we heated with coal but had a much nicer stove but there was still wood and coal to carry. You could bank the fire at night and have a good start in the morning to get heat flowing again. We had one warm room and that was around the stove. I remember coming in from the cold and if my mom or I had a dress on we backed up near the stove and pulled the back of our dress up to warm our legs. You sure know how to stir up memories that are good now but cold years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're the only person I know who's picking up a "batch" of turkeys! I'm glad you don't have to cook them all! I missed this Joshua story so I have to catch up now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I took advantage of fresh turkeys and warm weather and smoked two birds last week.I froze the choice meat for next week and we have been eating turkey noodle soup since. Kind of like the Thanksgiving leftovers in reverse.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard a pot belly stove called anything thing else. They can certainly radiate some heat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Debby. I know the sort of stove but they are fairly uncommon in UK. The sorts sold here are either the traditional square on legs, or else modern - circular and tall. There are clamp-downs on wood-burners here, as lots of city-dwellers have them and it affects air purity.

    Joshua is certainly one to steer clear of and I'm glad that Mattie and Levi are alerted about him.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...