Saturday, November 4, 2023

Keeping Tim Occupied

Friday was a rough day. Tim has been specifically warned against lifting over five pounds. He's supposed to avoid physically straining himself. I specifically brought up rehabbing, because I knew that would be specifically what he wanted to get back to and they specifically said that he couldn't. He can't archery hunt because he cannot pull back his crossbow. He can't walk hills. It's a lot of restrictions on him. 

Friday, he was chomping at the bit. He had a list of projects he wanted to do. The thing is, he shouldn't. He's got two problems that have popped up post surgery. We don't see the surgeon until Tuesday, and so he needs to stick to the game plan until at least then. He doesn't need to be making matters worse. So there was bickering, and I would not let him do those things that he wanted to do. 

I could see that by the end of the day he was getting depressed. I really did feel bad about that. So we sat down and talked about things that he could do. He decided that the thing to do was go take a walk in the woods. He had to pick a new place to hunt. He can't walk up hill. He also can't drag his deer out and so I need to know exactly where he is going to be so that if he gets one, I can find him and drag it out for him. 

A walk was a good idea, and I could see that he was glad to be in the woods. The fact that we saw deer on the walk in made him very happy as well. 

All's well that ends well, I guess. 

One thing that he's really been looking forward to is an antique auction which was held Saturday morning. There were two stained glass windows that he wanted very badly. Unfortunately the two that he wanted went for over $400 each. We did buy stained glass though, five windows, which was three more than we actually wanted, but we can always put them out in the sun room.  They are all old ones, and two need framed. We'll probably shorten them as well. We've never played with stained glass before, so this is something new for us and something fun. This was all considerably cheering to Tim as well. 

I had a job when we came home, to duck over to a rental and rake the leaves to the curb for pick up.  William helped out to earn some pocket money and I was glad for it. Tim watched and visited with Jim. 

While I was blowing leaves, Tim's eagle eye caught movement. There at the foundation were four tiny kittens, mewling and headed in all directions. The mother was nowhere to be seen, although Tim had seen a cat streaking towards the back of the property. 

Tigger has 2-3 batches of kittens a year. No one can catch her. Our Houdi is one of her kittens. His sister lives down the street at another tenant's house. There were two more in that litter, but they disappeared. Since there are many predators along the creek in the back and a pretty busy street out front, well, it's not surprising. Tigger is a good mother, but the odds are stacked against her. All of her last batch of kittens died. 

I handed a kitten to William, and grabbed our tenant Paula. She is a cat rescuer, and (bless her heart) she catches all the ferals she can and has them neutered out of her own pocket.  She knew that Tigger had had kittens but hadn't seen them yet. She had been worried. 

The two of us began gathering up kittens. I estimate that they were four weeks old and well fed little things. Lively too. We did not want them wandering into the street. After some discussion, we took a plastic tote, set a box inside of it for shelter. William ran home to get an old blanket that I'd put in a bag of rugs and throws and blankets to take to the animal shelter. 

We decided it would be warm enough outside for them to safely spend the night. I tucked them under Jim's back porch against the foundation of the house, familiar territory for mama cat. They would be protected from the rain, and the tote would keep them from wandering off. If their mother wanted to take them out she could, but we felt that it was important for them to continue nursing if that is possible. In a couple weeks, they will be weaning, and we can bring them inside at that point. We are also hopeful that we can use them as 'bait' to live trap mama. She really needs to be neutered. 

Tim and I walked back down tonight after dark to check on them. They were all sleeping in a pile, and blinked sleepily when the light woke them up. 

There was another discussion with our tenant. In the end, we collectively decided to leave them be for now. We have to assume that their mother knows where they are. They were not mewling with hunger. They showed no signs of distress. They are safe for now. We will recheck in the morning. 


40 comments:

  1. Ah bless their little hearts. I haven't held a baby kitten in nigh on to 20 some years, but if I close my eyes, I can still smell the velvety fur right below their ears. (probably dried mama kitty spit). Boredom can be a terrible thing to fight - the walk in the woods probably did you both good - fresh air therapy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, they are so dear! One just settled right into the crook of my arm. Paula had one wrapped up in a baby blanket. He nestled right. We were both oohing and aahing at the little darlings. Tim, who is not a cat person, said, "All baby animals are cute. That's what sucks you in."

      Delete
  2. Glad you could safely "let" Tim out for awhile. Maybe the cat rescuer knows of correct traps to catch the Mama, but most vets want to wait until she weans those kitties. At least they weighed less than 5 pounds, whew! My one experience with a leaded glass window, still in its frame, was that it could slowly move with gravity if resting on its side and bow down. Some places know how to "re-lead" those pieces, but I just hung it from the ceiling between my dining room and living room to help separate them without blocking the view or light. Have fun with them. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. We will not trap mama until the kittens are weaned. She always brings her kittens to Paula or Jim's porch to feed after they are weaned. Paula has our live trap. She's got a 'catio' that she releases them into and holds them there until we can get an appointment to have them neutered. She's been able to find homes for many kittens, but she has never caught Tigger. You know, Linda, that is a GREAT idea about hanging the window as a sort of room divider. We will probably shorten and frame the two windows, saving the glass, which is really quite valuable. We can always use them in the sun room, when we build it.

      Delete
    2. Glad the catio helps the felines. My house had a half divider "wall" between the dining and living rooms. Putting the hanging window there just fancied it up a bit. Hang in there. Linda in Kansas

      Delete
  3. Aw bless with those little kittens. Mama is sensible bringing them to the porch to be fed when they are the right age. Hope Tigger can be tempted into the live catch cage and spayed.

    I can imagine Tim is very frustrated right now, but glad that the walk in the woods helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Jenny, I thought of you as I stood there holding three kittens. Two of them nestled right in and seemed ready to doze off. The third was a little adventurer, climbing up my coat and around on my arm, mewing. I thought of your little stinkers. Are you certain you don't want four more?

      Delete
  4. You can become so frustrated when you are restricted by medical advice. You did well for Tim. Stained glass, wow. It sounds like you will do very well for the kittens and hopefully the mother cat. This lady on the other side of your country does great work with cats and has for a very long time, https://catwomanflix.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be fun to try our hand at a new thing, and this is something we've never done before. I've always wanted to.

      Delete
  5. The joys of catching feral cats, but it is so important they become neutered Debby. Poor Tim, restrained for the moment, though I am glad he is not using his crossbow. Walking can be a very peaceful activity, the oxygen works wonders on the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is that we do not have a TNR program here. It can take months to get a cat neutered. There was a lady trying to get a program off the ground, but unfortunately, she's not really good at communication and it was frustrating working with her. We did manage to get one cat neutered for free. I paid for Houdi, so as not to stress the new system.

      Delete
  6. It really is disheartening when you don't have the strength to do the things you want. Tim has the problem that he seems to be a very outdoor practical person rather than a reader or blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim doesn't read. He watches football. Fixes things. Hunts. Those are a few of his favorite things. Note: the order of importances is subject to change without notice.

      Delete
  7. Lord help me if my husband had to be down for awhile! I would have to help him find things to do, as you did for Tim, for I know he would be itching to get back to his normal activity. When I broke one ankle and sprained the other last year, (at the same damn time!) I was a good girl, and did what the ortho said until I was given the green light to move! I had a boot on one leg, and used a walker and a scooter! Now I am like you, a very busy and capable woman, and even so, I found plenty I could do until that time. Not so sure my Hubs could do that, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim has never dealt with something that has changed his life as this has. He's been struggling.

      Delete
  8. Maybe you can take Tim for nice quiet drives when he gets antsy. It's important to restrain oneself.

    Good for you with the kittens. I hope they do well and that mama gets fixed and just gets to be a cat. Our cat lady has farms where she can place the feral ones. She maintains feeding them, or at least sending the food. She's a remarkable woman and fund-raises to support the cats. Right now, she is running a Christmas auction on FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sitting for long term is uncomfortable for him. Your cat woman sounds like a gem. Walking back in the dark from the rental, we saw a little girl putting out food next to a comfortable bed set up on her porch. It makes me happy me feel much better about this world when I see small sparks of kindness.

      Delete
  9. So much fun to hold new life, and kittens are so soft and warm. It's a good thing. Glad you and Tim got a walk...being in the woods is healing in itself...they call it forest bathing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are wonderfully sweet. Those tiny little mews and that wide legged, tail up jerky sort of walking they do. Oh my gosh. You fall in love with them on sight.

      Delete
  10. I was thinking of how much like Tim my husband is and hoping that if he is ever in a similar situation where he needs to curtail his regular activities for a while that I would be as wise and helpful as you are. Then I got to the point where you said you would drag his deer out of the woods.
    Uh. No.
    That I would not do. Either our grandson or son-in-law would have to do it and that's all there is to it.
    Gosh, you are the BEST wife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want him to be happy. I'm not gutting it though. I'll do anything for love, but I won't do that. No, I won't do that.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm ... Are you fixing "Meatloaf" later today? LOL

      Delete
    3. LOL. I could be, couldn't I?

      Delete
    4. Oh god. No, I won't do that either!

      Delete
  11. Glad you are helping Tim to stick to the orders that the doctor gave him. Hope he gets good feedback when he visits the doctor this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is frustrating when you have a list of don'ts...you need a list of DOs!!
    Glad the kits are ok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate playing the 'enforcer', but honestly, that man is very quietly stubborn.

      Delete
    2. Which is why he needs a to do list, in front of the don't do list, same as Pirate, to keep positive

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the latest cats and kittens news Debby. We have 5 cats at the moment. All permanent smallholding residents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure you couldn't use four more. I offered them to Jenny. Perhaps she'd be willing to share.

      Delete
  14. I feel for Tim. A friend of ours recently had surgery and taking the time to heal (meaning slow down and follow the doctor's orders) has been the hardest part. I've had to also remind him that the older we get, the longer that can take so do it right the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost think he would take that advice better from < I>anyone besides his wife. 😒

      Delete
  15. As someone who has had cancer (the illness is irrelevant to my observation) for 25 years and has had restrictions placed on me on various occasions I am firmly of the opinion that obeying the doctors' rules is a very good idea because a) it keeps them on your side (why try and help people who won't help themselves?) and b) it helps the patient. Anything that helps the patient helps those caring for the patient. To ignore advice can be very selfish indeed. Short term inconvenience for long term wellness. No contest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If the two of you don’t have small things of your own that need fixing, maybe your community has an organization like this one that he could volunteer for (or even do as a one-off event, say at church)? https://www.repaircafe.org/en/ (People with repair skills help fix broken gadgets for folks in the community, a win all around!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have anything like that, but what a wonderful mission! I love that.

      Delete
  17. Oh gosh, Debby... You are the best wife of all and the best kitty rescuer as well. Neutering would be very helpful indeed. We have a feral kitty problem in Hawaii too. They have apparently really been a huge problem for the native wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This problem will not be solved without a good TNR. Is there one in Hawaii?

      Delete
    2. I know they're trying, but I don't know how good they are. I don't see many ferals in my area. It's mostly chickens. But I know there's a lot in Manoa and other parts of the island.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...