Monday, July 17, 2023

The Scepter of Light

 My grandaughter's current favorite cartoon is 'Elena of Avalar'. We played Elena quite a bit in the big back yard. She, of course, was Elena. I alternated between the roles of Camilla (her trusty steed), Naomi (her friend), Isabelle (her younger sister) and Shuriki (the evil sorceress). 

I performed my asigned roles, doing whatever was asked of me. She had a wand from one of her dressups and she ran about the yard, yelling 'Hurry up! Over here! I see Shuriki!' and raising up her wand and yelling "Blaze! Blaze! BLAZE!" Shuriki always seemed to get away. 

Iris explained to me that it was because she did not have a real Scepter of Light. Hers was only pretend. We stood in the sun. "So what does a Scepter of Light look like, exactly?" and she explained it in great detail. 

Later, in the house, I pulled out my phone and had a bit of a trip around Amazon. I found several versions of the Scepter of Light and we sat together going through them. She picked out the one that she wanted with all her heart. I don't ever place orders on my phone, but I did say to her that as soon as I got home, the very first thing that I would do is sit down and order that Scepter of Light. 

She was thrilled to death at this and gave me a great many instructions. I was not allowed to touch it because once someone not properly trained in using a Scepter of Light tried to use it. "She slept for two days and never woke up one time." 

I didn't bother to say that factoid alone was enough to tempt me to get my untrained hands on that scepter. Instead, I solemnly swore that I would leave that powerful magic in her capable hands. She was quite excited about her scepter, and talked about it a great deal. 

When we sat down later that night, she looked at me with great love and said, "I can't wait for you to go home!"

29 comments:

  1. How cute she sounds! Remember - don't touch it!! How old is she btw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Shocked me, but I knew right away why I was being banished.

      Delete
  3. Kids have such great imaginations. My girls used to hang their cats around their necks and call them minkasouris after watching “the Flintstones on tv. Poor kitties but they didn’t seem to mind. They even put up with swimming races in the pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an amazing, wet, cat! Linda in Kansas

      Delete
    2. When William a baby, when I popped him in the bathtub, I'd clean the bathroom while he played "inna wa-da". My cat loved him, and would sit on the closed commode watching him. One day, he wanted to help me clean, so I set his little plastic step stool in the tub and asked him to clean that. He scrubbed away at it with a wash cloth. The cat was sitting at the side of the tub watching this. Then I heard William crow with delight and turned around. Paddy was sitting on the stool in the tub. William took one of his cups, filled it with water and was about to dump it over his head. I dived for them, envisioning one enraged cat and one naked clawed up boy. The cat sat there patiently while he poured cup after cup of water on him.

      Delete
  4. Bugger off Grandma and get my gift sent. It's nice that you connected with her so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always have had a good bond. She's a delightful girl and so is her little sister.

      Delete
  5. Haha very cute. If you want a great show to share with her I highly recommend Jane and the Dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the imaginations of small children, and their brutal honesty:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I knew what was behind the comment. That's what made it so funny.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It made me laugh out loud. She such a corker.

      Delete
  8. Oh what a fun time...and so full of magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS, Barbara. William is long past that stage, and I'm so grateful for these girls, and the chance to do it all again.

      Delete
  9. I can barely remember the days when I didn't order something off Amazon using the phone app. It was probably back before I had Prime and had to accumulate so many dollars worth of stuff to get free shipping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s all too easy Ed !!!!!I spend Far too much

      Delete
    2. I think it's best that shopping is not so easily done for me.

      Delete
    3. I live in a shopping desert where the only place to get anything is at Walmart. Since I avoid Walmart at all costs for several reasons, that means all my shopping unfortunately has to be done online or wait until we can drive 90 miles to our capital city and stock up.

      Delete
    4. I do a lot of shopping on line, but I'm a bit of a Luddite. I have my account set up on my desktop, but not on my phone. I don't like the 'immediacy', being able to order on a whim. I also worry about losing my phone. So I order at home.

      Delete
  10. Oh, that last line! What a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! "I can't wait for you to go home!" Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sweet! They grow up so fast so you want to treasure those special moments!
    I made your sloppy joes recipe last night and it was really delicious! Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...