Wednesday, July 5, 2023

A Day of Constant Irritation



Wellup now...it wasn't exactly a day of constant sorrow, but it certainly was a day that would (to quote my pap) 'make a preacher cuss'. 

I'm packing for a trip, and I thought that I should pick up a couple extra pairs of shorts. I headed to my favorite thrift store, and found two pair in short order. Bonus: they were both 50% off. So I got them and headed home. Of course...one pair fit. One pair didn't. I put the receipt and the shorts on the table. 

It didn't help that I had a grumpy boy today. Gads. (Perhaps the song applied to him). He wanted to try a 'Grimace Shake'. I mean, for heaven's sake...we rarely go to McDonald's. (He and Tim favor Burger King) But a bunch of kids were talking about this special shake last night, and he wanted to try one in the very worst way. It was all he could talk about today. So, we thought to take him to McDonald's for lunch. Turned out the Grimace shakes ended yesterday. 

Of course they did.

All was not lost. We found that there was a recipe for Grimace Shakes. A handful of raspberries. A handful of blueberries, vanilla ice cream, and milk. Blend it with a hand mixer and top it with some whipped cream. I figured to stop by the thrift shop to return the too small shorts on the way to the grocery store to soothe grumpy adolescent. 

So...have you ever heard of a thrift store not accepting returns because the items might have been worn? Hello? This is a used clothing store. The items are donations. That irked me. Strongly worded message sent to the corporate offices protesting this change in policy. 

All was not lost. Two milkshakes later, the boy was happy. 

We went to look at a new (to us) car today. We were scheduled to meet at 6:30 after he got out of work. We drove a half hour, were sitting in front of his house, when Tim checked his phone to discover the man had texted saying, "Can we do this on Monday instead?" 

For pete's sake!

I need a giggle. Maybe a funny movie? (Side note: This movie tickles my funny bone. I haven't seen it for years. Maybe tonight's the night! If you have a passing acquaintance with The Odyssey, you'll laugh even harder.)

Yesterday was a nice day. I helped my sister make macaroni salad for 50 people yesterday morning while Tim went to the parade. I came home and made my contribution of a tossed salad, and we spent the afternoon celebrating a family wedding. The house is right next to a cemetery where a lot of family is buried, my grandparents, great aunts and uncles, cousins. my great grandmother. I'd never been there, as strange as it sounds, so my sister and I walked over to remember them. 

We watched the fireworks. We did not go down to the park, but sat and watched from across the river. It was a nice night. 






14 comments:

  1. My Mom used to tell me that when she was upset "you could make a preacher cuss."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sigh* yeah.my dad was generally referring to me when he said it.

      Delete
  2. All the family together..in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly pack plenty into your days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our charity shop doesn't allow returns either . Some people would spend a very small amount on an item to wear for an event then bring it back and ask for a refund. Very cheeky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most resale shops I visit all have signs saying, "all sales final." Maybe it just depends on where you live.
    Glad everyone became happy by the end of the day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah. You can't return things to thrift stores here, either. For the most part, anyway.
    You are such a sweet grandma to recreate a Grimace shake. Who knew there was such a thing?
    I love that movie so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't return things to a thrift store? Wow. Boggles the mind.
    I love that movie as well, haven't thought of it in years. I especially love that song. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate those kind of days. My mom would say, the further I go the behinder I get! Thrifts here don't take returns either. Such a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely lots of little annoyances there. It is ridiculous that you couldn't return the shorts. I haven't see "O Brother" in years, but I remember liking it -- the George Clooney character saying, "We're in a tight spot!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess we all days like that - when nothing seems to go to plan. But now I have new phrase for them - days to ...'make a preacher cuss'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice you could recreate William's heart desire shake. I would never have thought to look up a recipe, though they weren't out there, in my kid days. We did look up a lot of things in my grandkid days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Thrift store policy cracked me right up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As others, the policy really cracks me up, especially when you can return new clothes that have obviously been worn to test the fit at stores that sell new clothes.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

A Good Day

 We have reached a point in the house where we can relax a bit. We have rehabbed houses for 15 years, and while some of them have been in ho...