Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Finding The Way

 I'm struggling here. 

Tim has rebounded greatly. I look at other people who have had strokes, and I know how lucky we are. There are minimal physical effects. If he is tired, he stammers. His throught process is good for the most part. But he is different, and sometimes, two heads are better than one. He has periodic trouble sleeping and that makes a difference in his thinking, too. 

When I get up in the morning, I like my leisurely cup of coffee. My four McVitie's wheat biscuits and little jaunt around blogland and then I'm ready to get on with my day. Tim is much faster. He doesn't drink coffee. He eats his bowl of raisin bran and is ready to walk out the door. Sometimes, the two of us can get a little snarky. 

This morning was one of those mornings. "Tim," I said firmly. "I'm not willing to rush. You let me have my hour and then I'll be ready to go." He got pissy, and told me that he was going over to the renovation to pick up the ladder pick. I suggested he wait until I was ready because the ladder pick (a long steel plank that hangs between two ladders to act as scaffolding) is heavy. Really heavy.

No. He would not wait. 

He took off in the dump truck and, like always, I felt guilty. I told myself firmly that I had every right to have an hour in the morning, but still...

I was dressed when Tim got back and brushing my teeth. We hopped in the truck and headed out almost immediately. 

We got there and unloaded the pick. Yep. It was heavy. We set the ladders and...looking around, I said, "Where are the hangers?" and he said, "I didn't think we needed them." I stared. I mean, you can't use a ladder pick without the hangers. 

I started to say something and he started to get snappy. 

I walked away. I just walked away and I went into the air conditioning and let him figure out what he was doing next. About 20 minutes later, he came in and said that he would run back to Wayne St, and get the hangers. I took a deep breath and kept my mouth shut. That's a total waste of 1 1/2 more hours.

I sat inside playing a game on my phone while he was gone. 

I heard a sound outside. Looking out, there was an elderly lady from down the road walking around. This property used to belong to her husband's brother. I watched her. I've met her, but not often. She never remembers who I am, but she knows my brother and sister. 1 wasn't sure if I would frighten her if I suddenly walked out the door. She went to the open garage. She went over to the greenhouse. She walked back and studied the new building. She looked very confused.  I opened the door and went out. I greeted her cheerfully. 

She looked at me, shocked, and took a step back. "How do you know my name?" she asked suspiciously. 

I explained to her that I was Anna's sister, as I always do, and she said, "Oh, that's right!" I could tell she didn't remember me, but she knows my sister. They've been neighbors for 20 years or more. 

I invited her in for a cold drink. It was so hot out. I thought a stint in the airconditioning would be good for her. 

"No," she said, and peevishly went on. "Why aren't you answering your phone? I've called and called but no one answers." 

She doesn't know who I am. She doesn't have my phone number. I said, "Well, I don't think you have my phone number."

She looked befuddled. "I've been calling three places over and over again all morning long, and the phone just buzzes. No one answer there, either." 

"What three places are you trying to call?" I asked gently.

She said, "Well, you know, to check on you." 

"We're okay," I said. "It's really very nice of you to worry about us, but really, we're fine. You can just call Dave or Anna if you're concerned. They'll tell you it's okay."

"Well, when you didn't answer your phone, I called three places to come and do a health and welfare check on you, but the phone just buzzes. Nobody is answering their phones!" She was getting upset. 

"Why don't you come inside?" I suggested. "It's nice and cool and you can wait for Tim to get back, and then I can run you home." 

"No. Walking is good for me," and she set off. 

"I'll walk with you," I said. "We can visit on the way." To be honest, I was afraid for her. It was hot as hades, and she was heading towards the back of the property. "Why don't you come this way? You can follow the deer path." 

She followed along, agreeably enough, and she said, "Oh! There's the cemetery!" in a surprised sort of way. 

"Yes," I said, and pointed. "And right down there is your house." 

In a delighted way, she said, "When you get your house built, we'll be neighbors!" as if she had just realized this." 

"We will," I said. 

Suddenly, she said my husband's name. 

"Yes. That's my husband."

"He's Carrie's husband's brother."

"That's right!" I said. 

We stood waiting to cross the road. There's a ditch on the other side I wanted to make sure she got across. Once there, we said our goodbyes. She said, "Well, I'm not sure how long we'll be neighbors. My husband is 92. I'm...I'm...ah, hell. I can't remember. But we probably won't be neighbors long."

With that, she made her way down the field to her house. I watched her go. Tim drove down the highway on his way back. 

I walked back.

As we ate lunch, I said gently, "Tim. We have to talk. You're scaring me."

He said, a little abashed. "I meant to get those hangers..." 

I said, "Well, that makes a lot more sense than telling me that you didn't think we'd need them."

He looked at me. 

"For all your impatience this morning, rushing off to load the pick alone did not save you one bit of time. You could have given me my hour, we would have both gone over to put the pick on the truck together, and we wouldn't have forgotten the hangers. Your rushing around did not save us any time at all. We are eating lunch, and we have cut one board. That's it."

"Yeah," he said.

"I respect the fact that you like to get started early. It's the most sensible thing in this heat. You're not sleeping well at night. What if I get up at 7? You sleep in until 8. I get my hour, and then we can work together on things?"

"That would be good," he said. 

"You need to listen too, because sometimes, you forget things. I'm not trying to make  you feel bad or anything." 

"I can do that," he said. 


22 comments:

  1. Oh, Debby, you do have a lot to deal with and you seem to be doing so well. Just don't forget to look after Debby and not just that hour in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you brought the incident to a good conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very diplomatic and kind, with both your neighbor and Tim. It's got to be so hard for Tim, for his brain not to work as well as it used to. And it's got to be hard for you watching him trying to deal with it. It's just hard but you were gentle with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good that you walked your elderly neighbor home. It could happen again. We old people sometimes forget how quickly we can get too hot or if we need a drink of water. You are a kind lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two people in one day who were not thinking clearly, both for medical reasons. You have to be tough at times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautifully written
    john (going Gently)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I would have half your patience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patience is needed in bucketsful. Same here xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good deed for the day x two. I hope that Tim has paid attention to you. The old lady sounds very confused and suspicious. I hopeher family are looking out for her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debby, you have the patience of a saint. I love how you deal with Tim. I hope your solution for mornings works out. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't. I don't have the patience of a saint. I try really, really hard to be patient, but the problem is that he thinks outside the box, a lot. He always has. So do I. So he has a tendency to start doing something differently than most people would and I question it, he gets impatient and I'm thinking, "Well, there's Tim, thinking outside the box. Sometimes, it's Tim, thinking wrong, and I don't realize it until we're ripping something out. It's frustrating, and I am not patient sometimes. It doesn't help that I question EVERYTHING at this point. It frustrates him.

    It's hard to explain. When I try to talk to my sister, who's the best friend in the world that I have, she thinks that I'm micromanaging him and sees that as 'tearing him down'.

    I'm trying really hard here, but I have to say that this is a tough time and I will never feel like I have enough patience. I feel so bad about that.

    Seeing the neighbor lady was a bit of a jolt. She's declined a lot since I saw her last. It was a reminder that things could be worse. It was a reminder that I can be very patient.


    ReplyDelete
  12. You seem to be patient enough. We're all human and can get a little testy. I hope today is a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes dealing with mental issues are worse than the physical ones. With the physical ones, you know that path to make things better. With the mental ones, there is no path to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post cuts right to the bone. I have nothing to offer- we are all going to experience things like this one way or another, from one side or the other. I truly admire your honesty in discussing these very hard things.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you are doing a great job. You are a kind and thoughtful person who shares her love with all those who need her. You might get impatient but you take a deep breath and work it out. I admire you, Debby.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad Tim is a smart man to listen to the wise words of his wife. And, Debby, you are pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are very wonderful about "keeping your cool." We are dealing now with mom's worsening dementia and it's really, really scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that what is scary for me is that I really cannot figure out the extent of the problem. Sometimes, he doesn't appear to have any problem. Sometimes it just pops up out of nowhere. If someone has a broken leg, for instance, you can say, "Welp. Walking is out." Cognitive things are a bit harder to look at and to define.

      Delete
  18. I feel for you. I can assure you that the worst thing about dealing with life's difficulties is not having a support network that "gets" you. I experienced that same thing with my family. Something can be troubling me deeply so that I am almost overcome with the bother and my allies don't see it as a problem. I remember a neighbor constantly stalking me. Every time I came out into my backyard to garden, he ran over (his house was diagonally across the street) and hovered in the backyard of the adjacent house (his sister's) and stared and muttered. Every effing time. My family laughed and told me that if I 'ignore him' he would stop doing it. They saw it as a joke. I will never forget that. The thing threatened my sanity. I stopped going outside and doing my beloved gardening. Sometimes we are truly alone in this world even with family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister 'gets me' most of the time. I want to make that clear. But it's just that I'm seeing things that really scare me with Tim. She wants to normalize it. I guess I can understand that.

      I have never been in a situation like yours. We had some problems with a neighbor and I just said, "Listen. We've both lived here a lot of years. I know we feel very differently. I am here to tell you that we're not going to listen to your bullshit every time we come outside. You're going to keep your mouth shut, and we will continue to keep our mouths shut. He stood there staring at me, and I stood there staring right back. In the end, he muttered, "I can do that." I said, "Good." and continued up the driveway. He's kept his word. We've kept ours.

      I'm sorry that you had that struggle with your neighbor. I'm sorry that you felt unsupported. Whatever happened to him?

      Delete
    2. Oh the situation is still the same. I don't go outside unless someone is with me and I have stopped gardening. He may not be dangerous but he is unendurably annoying. The decision is made is sell and move out. One of my sister is desperate to buy the house, so we are waiting for her deceased husband's will to probate. I gave her until next year.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

A Good Day

 We have reached a point in the house where we can relax a bit. We have rehabbed houses for 15 years, and while some of them have been in ho...