Sunday, July 23, 2023

A very cool hot day

 This morning, I got up with the intention of putting some spareribs in the slow cooker. They could simmer away on low while we were working on the house, and when we came home, all that I would need to do is drain grease from the ribs, add some BBQ sauce, slow cook for another hour. Put some potatoes in the microwave and figure out a vegetable and voila: Supper. 

Except that I checked the cooker on the way out the door. How very lucky because my slow cooker was not cooking slowly. It was not cooking at all!

Well. that changed up the plan considerably, but I said to Tim, "We need to stop at Albert's. He had a electric roaster at his sale, when last we stopped in." He lives right down the road from the building site, and so it would not be a problem. Plus, I wanted to check on the tomato situation. He sells the best tomatoes I've ever seen. 

We finally got things settled for dinner and headed out the door to resume work on the house. We got two windows and two doors framed in. I handled the chop saw in the yard, Tim called down measurements and I cut to order, and took them over to the house. 

It was quite hot for all the trotting back and forth, but at least today, I remembered to bring a hat. Cars went by and tooted. A couple on a motorcycle waved as they passed. We waved back. We don't know the vehicles well enough to know who's who, but it is cool that people are so friendly. 

Two little house wrens have a nest in a vent of the camper. One got in the greenhouse and was fluttering against the glass, evidently not able to see the open door. I was able to gently pick it up and release it outside. The pair at the camper no longer fly away when we go in and out. That's pretty cool too. They sit and listen to me, cocking their little heads as I talk to them. I've set out some suet from the freezer to take up tomorrow. 

While I was waiting for my next series of measurements to be called out, I looked at rocks on the ground. I found a fossilized plant stem, which was pretty cool. I'll have to get a picture later, because I left it setting on the table where I was working.

We worked for 3 hours and then called it a day. 

We stopped down at Albert's and lo! that roaster was still there. I got that. He also had a Hamilton Beach slow cooker with five temperature settings!  I took them both for a very cool $6.50. (They are a lifesaver when you need a meal but don't have time to cook.) We visited for a few minutes. He had noticed the activity at the house he said. I said, "If you ever get the urge to set trusses..." He quickly commented that he never had the slightest urge to do anything like that. (Darn~!)

We returned home and neither one of us has felt like doing much.  Tim bought the last two windows for the house. I dished up dinner. I cleaned the kitchen. Now I'm not doing anything at all, and I'm not feeling the slightest bit guilty.

We will finish framing tomorrow. We will begin working on the roof. It feels like things are moving right along now. That is also cool. 





14 comments:

  1. Working outside in the sun on a construction site is tough work. Makes sitting 17 hours in a van seat seem tame.

    I cook a lot with slow cookers in the winter. Nothing better than coming home to the smell of an already cooked meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, when I drive long distances, I have a hard time getting unfolded from the car. 17 hours? I would have probably needed help.

      Delete
    2. I am exhausted just reading this!! You are a real go getter! And doer!! -- I love slow cookers. A five temperature one is quite a find! :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised at how much the two of you get done. Tim really knows what he's doing and has a good partner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are a good team. Please don't stay in the heat too long at a time, take a break, wash your face with cold water and drink a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slow cookers are brilliant. Mine stays out on the side over winter and saves a pile in electricity - a meal cooked at light bulb economy can't be bad.

    You are doing brilliantly with that house. Not many people can say they built their own house together. I loved hearing about the cool things - those Wrens sound delightful. Better than my blooming bats anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound tired but happy, Debby! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and Tim are absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Five settings? I have one with High, Low, and Warm, but what are the other two?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done on wearing a hat...it is surprising to see how few wear a hat or scarf and sunnies..let alone sunscreen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love hearing about all of the progress, Debby, and I am glad it is coming along. I think I am going to have to smoke some ribs this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh! You are such an awesome cook. I need to learn how to use a slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops! This is me, Kay of Musings.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

A Good Day

 We have reached a point in the house where we can relax a bit. We have rehabbed houses for 15 years, and while some of them have been in ho...