Monday, July 3, 2023

Not shopping at the Antique Mall.

We went to an antiques 'mall' yesterday, a big one. You can wander around in there for hours, really. So much to see. It's interesting, really, I know that we are downsizing, and knowing that seems to have made me a lot more mindful. I saw things that I liked, and I was especially taken with a brown ware casserole: 


The price on it was $15. I don't know why I love the 'daisy dot' stuff so, other to than I remember it from when I was a child. My mom had a few pices. I have a mug on the computer desk right now. 

I stood there considering it, and in the end decided, nope. Don't need another casserole dish. 

I walked on. 

I stopped again. I saw some peach luster ware. 



I have four place settings of that. I got them all for perhaps $20 at a thrift shop years back. I love them. They are something that I remember from my childhood as well. My maternal grandmother had some. There were several pieces for sale, but what I especially loved was the tall cups. I drink one cup of coffee every morning, so I use an industrial sized cup. I studied these too. $6.99 a mug. But really, my dishes are carefully packed away. My intention is to bring them out when we get to our new house.  And I already have my morning coffee cup. It is a big orange mug, with a handle that fits me perfectly. It gets washed and put by the cappuccino maker ready for the next morning. Did I really need this beautiful $ 6.99 mug? The answer was no. I walked on. 

I saw a spice set I loved..,


but I already have this...
And so my afternoon played out.  I don't go to these places with an eye to buy anymore, but I love going to them and browsing, and remembering. 

I saw these dishes: 


My mom had a set. They came in boxes of laundry detergent, and she collected them one piece at a time. I even remembered the name of the detergent: Duz. I looked it up to see if I was right. I was! 
'Duz does everything!'

I saw an old wooden folding table painted with a floral still life. We had one, and I remember sitting at it, staring in wonder at the dust motes reflecting in the light in front of the window as I listened to the train whistle trailing far away across the field behind the house. I remember someone in the background figuring it out: "She's looking at the dust!" I wonder how old I was. 

My old rocking horse was there. The self same one that I have in my office right now because my sister was going to throw it out and I didn't want it but I couldn't let it be thrown out either, so...here we are. 

(I'm a mess, aren't I?)

I saw all sorts of things that reminded me of somewhere else: My parents old Big Ben alarm clock. It didn't work, or that would have come home with me. The old electric percolators that burped and hissed. That sound started every single morning when I was a kid, right along with the sound of the radio. We only got one station and the first program was always 'Church of the Air'. My father always felt like the preacher liked to swear, which is why he talked about hell and damnation all the time. Irritated the snot out of my mother. 

It was such a nice afternoon, just walking along and daydreaming. Tim was off looking at the things that interested him, and sometimes we would cross paths to show each other what we'd found. We met friends there too. I was so engrossed in looking that I walked right past them and never noticed them! I heard them asking Tim where I was. 
Tim said, "She's around here someplace..." 
"Uh oh," the man replied. "Probably spending a lot of money..." 
Tim laughed. "No. I know that she isn't." 

He was right. 

Oh. Yes. I forgot one thing. A couple weeks ago, I bought a pair of Sketchers sandals, just a casual pair of flip flops that I can slip into and out of easily. I discovered that when I walk around for awhile, my feet sweat a little. Just enough that the sandals make little farting sounds when I walk.😳 Not a happy discovery.

If you are looking for a small good deed to do, there is a 10 year old boy with cancer in our town. He wants to travel. He cannot. His grandma has set up a PO box for him and asked people to send post cards from where ever they happen to be. If you'd like to take part, the address is: 

Cards for Carson
PO Box 705
Warren, PA 16365
USA

His grandmother just asks for people to tell him a little about the place the card is from. 


17 comments:

  1. I shall put a postcard in the mail tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely thought . I shall buy a postcard tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't buy much anymore either. And those antique malls are so overwhelming. It's hard to decide on something when there's so much more to see that is maybe better! Which, for me, ends up meaning that I walk out empty-handed and somehow relieved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Farting shoes! I have a friend at work who has the same problem, at least I always know it's her coming around the corner.
    I find myself very nostaglic when I go in antique stores these days. I also find it shocking that things from when I was a kid are now considered antiques.
    If I can remember to buy a postcard, I'll send one to Carson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You echo what I hear every time I work in my booths...people talking about the memories that the things they find evoke. Many sales are based on those memories! The casserole was actually a good deal. I sold one like that last year on ebay for double that price, and the buyer paid shipping too. Marcrest Daisy Dot seems to be especially popular out West.
      Farting shoes...I laughed so hard! Had to share that with my husband!

      Delete
  5. This is a nice post, Debby! I love to walk around antique stores also as it brings so many terrific memories. I feel like quite the antique myself these day, Debby, as so much of my stuff is old including me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to wander around Antiques stores...yes, good memory prompts!
    I will send a card when I can x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gz. You of all the people in this world can be excused. My gosh, your hands are quite full.

      Delete
  7. I have 3 bowls of the peach luster. My dad hauled coal when I was small and you got free dishes when you bought gas. He gave me the pieces and I saved them until I was married to use them. They have faded oved the years. I remember the laundry soap with the dishes. My aunt collected them. My mom used Silver Dust I think, it had towels in the big boxes. We had a lady that worked very hard to support her 3 kids. She took in laundry to make ends meet. She traded the towels to my mom for eggs. Such good memories and every one of your pictures brought one up. The brown pot was used to make baked beans at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For fartless slippers/flip flops try TEVA sandals, Mush II model. I've had about 15 different ones over the last 30 years. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're in a mess like many other people. We see things we like for many different reasons. Some of those reasons aren't good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, the poor boy. I guess postcards are still available somewhere, but they're not exactly ubiquitous anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT idea from Carson's Grandma. A card, with a letter and pictures on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a postcard ready to go. Did you know there's a YouTube video about Carson?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could you wear ankle socks with your sandals? I wear socks with my sandals sometimes and I know people think it's uncool, but it is SO comfortable. (At least in England.) And no fart noises!

    This is pretty much how I shop for antiques too -- lots of looking and very little buying.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you are downsizing and will be moving to a new home, I have a suggestion. A few years ago, I moved out of a large home my children grew up in. We moved to a considerably smaller home. Before we made the move and got rid of a LOT of things, I photographed every room. Starting with a couple of shots from different perspectives and then a shot of every picture, piece of furniture and even the inside of closets. I love to look at those photos from time to time and really don’t regret the change.

    We also have 2 part-time homes (nothing fancy) and I have photographed them the same way. It is surprising how often I refer to these photos to verify WHERE certain things currently are. After being married 45 years, there are a lot of things to keep up with.

    One last thing…it is very hard to let go of things in a major purge. But it is very easy to let go of 3 things every day. I do that. It can be little things or big things. Clean out a drawer or closet. 3 things a day equals over 1000 things in a year.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

A Good Day

 We have reached a point in the house where we can relax a bit. We have rehabbed houses for 15 years, and while some of them have been in ho...