Friday, July 28, 2023

Debby Gets New Shoes

 You know how I am a collector of distressed plants from the clearance section at Lowe's? Well...Tim is a collector of distressed trucks from virtually anywhere. 

Last night: "I'm going to look at a truck tomorrow at 8."

Me: "Why?" 

Him: "Because the car isn't going to last another year." 

Me: "Okay. But maybe you should be looking for another car then."

Him: "I want a truck."

Me: "You have a truck, though." 

Him: *laughter*

As of this morning, we have another truck, and I'm not really quite sure why.

We worked on the house today. It was a short day, but we wanted to get the purlins installed. We have another storm front moving through, and we will not be installing the steel roof while it is rainy. That is the making for disaster. So we will spend the weekend installing the sheeting. We are supposed to have 4 days of nice weather next week, and it will be a good time to get the roof done, as much as we can. 

We came home and showered. It's the first time in a week that I've styled my hair. I wore my garage sale $1.50 black sundress (with POCKETS, Mrs Moon!) A 45 min. drive to stop, first of all, at a Mennonite grocery. Starbuck's coffee for $3.99 a bag is the main reason for there, but we always find more. It's a great place to pick up rice noodles, for instance. Todays bit of excitement? I found Rotel tomatoes for 29 cents a can. Pepperidge farm seeded wheat bread for a dollar a loaf. It is double bagged so it is easy to toss two or three loaves in the freezer. 

Then it was up to a Necker's General Store in Clymer. It is a good place to buy good shoes. My cheap sneakers proved to be no bargain at all. My feet were miserable. I was wearing a pair of knockoff crocs but while they were comfortable, I needed something that provided more grip and traction instead of sliding. I found exactly what I was looking for: 


 They were a good price at $38. An excellent deal with the July 25% discount, applied. 

After that, we walked across the street for supper. The storm hit while we were inside, and the power went out. We drove out of the storm coming home. It is hitting now, and the thunder is rumbling virtually non-stop. The rain has been heavy, but the powerful winds we were being warned of, didn't happen. 

So. That was today. 

20 comments:

  1. I love the shoes because they can be dressed up or down, as you desire. I use Sbux decaf Pike Place Roast, but prefer Equal Exchange Mind, Body and Soul for my caffeinated beverage. Of course I then dump steamed milk and chocolate in it to make a mocha. It sounds like you have the house work organized well for the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New truck, new shoes and supper. That was a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very thrifty, I think. On your part, at least. I don’t quite understand the truck, though. /AC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the old truck is a 1981 and his pride and joy. It's for show. This one is for working and every day. He says.

      Delete
  4. You two make a charming pair of back and forth "decisions." Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care, not really, but I am always trying to figure out why he wants this stuff. He has promised that he will get rid of a car.

      Delete
  5. One can never have too many shoes, or trucks too it would seem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Andrew. I am the Imelda Marcos of the IOM when it comes to shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be more about shoes. Now with a problem knee, when I find a pair of shoes that 'works', I stick to them.

      Delete
  7. I got some summer shoes in the Cotton Traders sale - oh goodness, wish I'd bought two or even three pairs as they are SO comfortable. May even go mad and pay full price for a pair next spring (hoping they stock them again). Yours look comfy and with a good grip.

    Does the new truck have a functioning gear stick?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had one pair in my size. If there were more, I'd have probably picked up another pair. That's quite a price. I hope so. I pleaded with him not to get another truck that needs work. He's got a project truck and car already. He swears this is not one of those trucks.

      Delete
  8. I have sandals like that..good for driving in hot weather, as the front won't catch on the pedals as you drive

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a son like that, for cars.....nicknamed The Oily One....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I came across someone who had gone to highschool with Tim. She said, "When we were in highschool, he used to be quite a motorhead." I said, "Define 'used to be'"

      Delete
  10. So you got a new pair of shoes and Tim got a new truck.
    In my world, this makes perfect sense. I have no idea how many vehicles we actually own. We have four that run. I'm pretty sure about that.

    ReplyDelete

  11. The shoes are nice and I am always so surprised and impressed with the prices you find. Nothing is that cheap here.
    Another truck? We have one vehicle which makes sense because we work in the same building, but sometimes a second vehicle would be nice to have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jealous of your Amish store! Wish we had a place like that. I like those shoes too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These storms in the northeast are crazy. I got a taste of them while I was in Washington. Funny that you have another truck and you're not sure why!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

A Good Day

 We have reached a point in the house where we can relax a bit. We have rehabbed houses for 15 years, and while some of them have been in ho...