Saturday, July 22, 2023

Saturday

 I was sad to hear that John died. He was definitely a man who lived life on his own terms, and I enjoyed his reading about his travels. I will miss him, and I know that I am not the only reader that feels that way. 

I also was sorry to read that Steve lost his mother. I think that even if you are expecting it, you're never really quite prepared for it. My condolences to Steve. 

We have been hitting the house hard. Since my return from seeing my grands last Friday, we have gotten all four walls up and about 3/4 of the trusses up. Those trusses are awful work. Heavy, and awkward to move. We had three people today. Tim, me, and his son. We worked for six hours. By the end of it, we were all beat. 

Levi gave us a tip that made things move along faster and more efficiently, but still...
...the remaining six trusses are going to take more than three people to lift into place. 
We will have to wait for those extra hands. It is summer time, and haying season, and everyone's up to their eyeballs in work right now. We have plenty to keep us busy. Tim will finish the headers for the doors and windows and the sliders in the livingroom. 


This is the view from what will be the front of the house. The right hand side will be the livingroom, and it will have sliding glass doors. Eventually, those doors will access a sun room that we can sit in during summer evenings and not be bothered by insects. On the other side of the basement door (the left side of the house) there will be a garden, and I am already collecting the shrubs and plants for that. It will, of course, not go in until we have the build done. 

So this week, the plan is to roof as much of the house as we are able to at this point, and to finish the sheeting. Of course, we also have to do some dirt moving. The earth has settled quite a bit around the foundation. 
Luckily, we still have a pretty hefty pile of dirt left over from the excavation of the basement. 

Initially, all this work was a pretty tough time for Tim and I. I am pleased to report that we have begun to settle into a rhythm, and once again, we are working like a team. 

Or, maybe, we're just too tired to snap at each other. 

Dunno. 

😄


28 comments:

  1. Here where I live they are building an addition, as I've mentioned. The weather (rain and lots of it) has washed away a lot of soil under the original concrete pad. I look at it and wonder why it doesn't crack. But I'm just a tenant looking from a window. I wonder when the boss will have dirt put under the foundation to prevent cracking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YIKES! That would be a lot of work. The building is partially built, right?

      Delete
  2. I hope your tiredness is of the nice satisfying kind you should feel after working hard and achieving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tiredness was something that required two extra strength tylenol and a couple of adult beverages.

      Delete
  3. Dang- y'all are moving right along! You should be so proud of yourselves. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shocked to hear that John is gone . I read him everyday but rarely commented. He looked at things in a different way and it was always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really shocked me as well, Red. I was worried about the weather, or perhaps an accident. It just never occurred to me that he had gone to bed and never woke up. I am very grateful that he documented his whereabouts so well that his family was able to find him.

      Delete
  5. The house is impressive, in that you two are building it yourselves. I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a screen room off our kitchen and the screen if very fine, it does not even rain through it but lets air in. If we have a blowing hard rain the floor may get wet around the edges. The screen room from the family room is a different screen and the rain blows in almost every time it rains. I am so happy to see the house come along so well. Just be very careful, no one needs to overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will have to look into that screening. I've never heard of it before.

      Delete
  7. Gosh, that looks a hell of a challenge. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You two are amazing! Be careful. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks very impressive so far. What a job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like Jaycee says it's very impressive and the work looks very professional and a very good job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about your blog friend, John. He certainly lived an unusual life and I imagine he would be content to die in his sleep. He didn't have to give up his life on the road or suffer with disease. I'm glad his family found him and are caring for Beans.
    Great work on that house! I can't believe how much you guys have gotten done and even tho Tim suffered a stroke not that long ago, it sure has not slowed him down! Keep safe and good luck with the build!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to see some pictures! I always thought that there would be a lift room, but not with those trusses.
    Sad to lose friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so hard to lose blogger friends, isn't it? I still can't believe Mage is gone. I remember losing others too and kept feeling everybody in blogland would keep going...

    This is an amazing project you are doing!!! Good gosh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kay. For a second I read that as 'Marge'! It came as a bit of a jolt. I guess that I've known other bloggers who have died, but their passings were not unexpected. I am surprised that this came as such a jolt to me.

      Delete
  14. I enjoyed John and his cat (s) as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for forwarding Jamie's post, yesterday. I appreciate that.

      Delete

    2. Actually, it was me…Mike from MN. We found John’s blog from your favorites list. Have been loooongtime followers of your blog. Latest development: Beans is in foster care in SD …daughter posted she is hoping Beans will be adopted. Very surprised no one in family would open up their home to Beans…

      Delete
    3. Hi Debby, and Mike from MN. I'm Angela (aka Amanda), John's travel companion and friend. I just wanted to reach out because I am upset that his blog was deleted, along with his eBooks. I created a blog to help honor his legacy, or at least restore what has been removed from the internet. I don't know where Beans is, but I'd like to, and donate or sponsor whomever is caring for her. The blog I created is titled hwyfly 2023. Thanks.

      Delete
  15. Can’t wait to see the asparagus bed you plant after moving in!

    ReplyDelete
  16. John will be missed, interesting guy! and so sorry to Steve, hard when you lose your mum. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. Actually, we are not so rare as you might think.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

A Good Day

 We have reached a point in the house where we can relax a bit. We have rehabbed houses for 15 years, and while some of them have been in ho...