Monday, October 2, 2023

Wishbone



Stuff is still leaving this house at an amazing clip. It's probably the fourth car load. Books to the library. four large totes of stuff to the thrift store. 

A corner of a purple glittery prom dress. A collection of Beanie Babies. A old book with a picture of the Tower Bridge on the cover (did she know? Could she have had some prescience?) A Hogwarts cookie tin. A lot of stuff spanning childhood and adolescence. 

What grabbed my heartstrings is 'Wishbone'. She loved that series. I remembered the Christmas she received him.  


I picked that stuffed toy out of the tote, and amazingly, after all these years he still talked. "Do you want to hear a story?" he asked. 

It made me smile. 

But I know those stories. They are writ in my heart. 



So I put him back. 

9 comments:

  1. Aw, Mama. Isn't it funny how the things that our children loved when they were young can make us so nostalgic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to Google Wishbone, the last talking animal I remember is Teddy ruxpin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, cute. I think I might have saved Wishbone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Wishbone. Great canine TV nostalgia Debby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww.. My daughter also loved ‘Vishbone’, as she called him! The trouble for me with sorting out all these childhood things is all the memories that come up with them! Which makes the job much harder than it seems it could be.. all those sweet years.. I’m much too sentimentally for my own good! I’m taking lots of photos, and only hanging on to a few items.. sigh! And all the time I’m trying to figure out whether it’s something they’d like to keep, or if it’s jut ME remembering them with such emotion! I’m happy for you that your daughter is taking the time to do what she’s doing, but I’m sure it must be somewhat emotional for her (and you!) too… Sending good wishes for a continued good visit! Xo, Ricki

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are reminded of the memory by the object but if it is important, you will remember it without the object.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oddly enough, the previous post that I just read was also about clearing out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our kids must be a similar age. My oldest had the books and different dogs. I saved the Robin Hood Wishbone (Paw Prints of Thieves) but will probably give it away next time I clean the boxes out. They get a little smaller each time. Happy cleaning to your girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishbone! Thanks for the lovely memory. I’m not sure if my kid even remembers… Olivia

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...