Thursday, October 19, 2023

Normal is more than a setting on the dryer.

Tim's been away in the woods, hunting today. He left while it was still dark. I slept on, waking up just before 8 when the cat wandered in to loudly inquire as to what I was still doing in bed. His inquiries continued until I got myself upright and out of bed. 

Once Houdi had his breakfast, he was at the door, I let him out and finshed brewing my coffee. 

Today was laundry day and stripping the bed day. It all sounds very organized, doesn't it? Except that I don't have a set day for this. It happens once a week at some point, and is dictated by what is going on. Today, Tim was gone, and so it was stripping the bed and doing laundry day. I will put the bed back together this afternoon and spend an hour folding laundry while watching an episode of 'Antiques Road Trip'. 

So very exciting, but as I have discovered, when life takes wide detours into difficult times, the mundane and routine become a bit of a comfort, a familiar touchstone in unfamiliar times. I imagine that this is exactly why Tim was so anxious to get out into the woods this morning. He has hunted all his life. It is his routine. It is his familiar activity. It lends a touch of normalacy to a chaotic time in his own life. 

I'm not allowed to call him while he out. His phone pings and he does not want to alert any already wary deer in the area so I drank my coffee and wandered around blogs while the first load of laundry ran through. I was just tidying the livingroom when he called. 

He wanted to tell me that there seemed to be a problem with the charger in the living room. I'd left his phone on it over night, and it did not charge. I told him that I'd replace the charging block. 

I also told him that I'd made eye appointments for both of us in Erie, his at 12:30, mine at 12:45, next Tuesday, He seemed glad to hear that. 

I should have wondered at the time. It was not yet lunch time. He wouldn't be calling from the woods. 

"Oh," he casually said, as if this were an afterthought, something that just popped into his head. "How do you want the venison done?" 

"You got a deer?" I asked stupidly. 

He did. It's a big doe, so big that he got it part way out of the woods and left it, walking home to get the four wheeler to pull it the rest of the way. 

He told me that he did not need my help. In the end, we decided to do things as we always have. The first deer is our 'hamburger deer'. We mince the meat (except for the tenderloins. I think that you go to hell if you grind up the tenderloins) and divided into 1 pound packages for the freezer. Since it is a big deer, it is probably an older deer and the meat is likely to be tough anyway, which made the decision even easier. 

"Yes," Tim jubilantly agreed. "We can do it differently with the next deer." 

And he sounded a lot like his old self again. 



34 comments:

  1. Congrats on the deer! Hooray! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cats can be very insistent when it is time to eat. I kept my sons cat a few weeks ago. They go to bed early and get up early. I do the opposant. Bed late and sleep in. I fed the cat one night at midnight for the next morning at 12:15 she came in licking her lips. I said did you eat your breakfast and looked, and she did. She still got breakfast the next morning. Happy Tim got a deer, food for the freezer and the good feeling it gave Tim is a two in one blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly do like to make certain you know who is in charge, don't they?

      Delete
  3. Is it a magnetic charger by chance? Occasionally mine won't charge the phone either and I have to reboot my phone to get it to work again. No idea why though. Some bug I guess.

    We normally get our deer made into burger with the exception of the loins too. I have suspected that a lot of people do it this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually not a magnetic one. I did shut my phone off over night and woke up to a 100% charge. Tim put his on the truck charger, and it charged fully. I think we have a bad charging block.

      When we had the boys at home, we've always done a hamburger deer or two. The others were cut up into chops, steaks and roasts. We had a good selection of meat.

      Now that it is just a one hunter household, it's a bit dicier because we cannot be sure that the second deer will happen. Before, we were always pretty much guaranteed 3 or more deer.

      Delete
    2. I was spoiled. My parents had deer deprivation tags that they had other hunters fill before they filled their own tag so for years, all I had to say was how many. Now that the hunting rights are leased out to one group, I would have to shoot my own deer. Since we don't eat a lot of red meat, I just pay for beef when necessary.

      Delete
    3. Leased hunting is a big thing here as well. Tim hates that. I suppose it is good news for the property owner but it is bad news for the hunter as more and more property is made unavailable for hunters like him. That's why it meant so much to him to have his own space to hunt on. Luckily, between two nephews and a sister and brother in law, enough property is owned that I don't think we ever have to worry about that again.

      Delete
  4. I love everything about this post. Especially grinding up tenderloins being a ticket to hell! You are right about routine being soothing in troubled times. I did the same yesterday, busting myself with making breakfast for everyone while they buried our poor old dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry about your dog. They break your heart, don't they?

      Delete
  5. So the hunter has returned with his first kill, and now you're making a lot of hamburger meat. It does sound like a good thing for Tim, and yourself as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confession: When we had a batch of kids at home, we always did our own processing. The big house we have now has a very small kitchen. Now that it is just Tim and I, we drop it off at a meat processer. Tim is setting up for a meat processing room in the basement of the new house though, so we'll probably get back to doing it ourselves.

      Meat in the freezer is never unwelcome.

      Delete
  6. All of this would be "normal" in my neck of the woods too.
    I love normal. I crave normal. It soothes me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We use to also get some stew meat in addition to the ground. I sure hope we always gave away our tenderloins since I don't remember ever cooking one. I'd hate to be hell bound!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we processed the meat ourselves, we always had the stew meat pile. Hopefully, there will be at least one more deer which will provide the steaks, chops, roasts and, yes, stew meat.

      Delete
  8. Sounds a productive day for both of you and lots of venison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day! Tim was very pleased that when he dropped off his deer at the processer's there was only one deer bigger than his.

      Delete
  9. This makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on Tim getting his first deer of this season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It started out very humdrum, but as usual, you were able to turn it into something interesting. It takes talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually high praise. Thank you. Hey, about that shoulder: have you been reaching over your head for long periods of time? That's what caused the nerve problem in my shoulder. Tim tore his rotator cuff. He knew that he'd done himself serious damage as soon as he did it.

      Delete
  12. I know what you mean about doing routine and mundane things that you don't have think much about. I think it may give you a feeling of control, when clearly your aren't in control of much at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The illusion of control can be pretty comforting.

      Delete
  13. Routines keep me calmer too when times are rough, like cooking and baking. I’m so glad Tim got a deer and sounds so joyful! I’m keeping you in my thoughts and keep sending best wishes to you❤️Xo, Ricki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ricki. Deer season was a little tougher for me than usual, because it was right at the beginning of hunting season last year when Tim got sick and stayed sick, ultimately having the stroke. I knew that I was being ridiculous, but I couldn't help worrying about that a bit. I realized how selfish I would have been to try to stop that. He was a very happy man.

      Delete
  14. I'm glad you're feeling peaceful in your routines and Tim is out enjoying the hunt. I can't even imagine trying to grind up a whole deer. I'll stick with peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is enjoying it. He'll hunt tomorrow, and then things start getting a little busy next week. But he is glad for his time in the woods.

      Delete
  15. One of the things I do miss all these years since my Dad has passed is I miss the venison !!(and he was no longer hunting every autumn in 'out west' - he loved to go on hunting trip every year to Wyoming. Some years he went in PA. But he always got his limits in deer and in Wyoming Antelope). Minced, roasts, tenderloins, stews, sausage... oh, yum...
    Dawn Pinnataro Albany, GA USA (I am originally a Mid-West girl born but have lived all over the place...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn! Where did your dad hunt in PA, if I might be so bold to ask? My dad used to go elk hunting in Colorado. It was his big adventure. It was just one of those things where if you stop to figure out the price per pound, well...it just didn't seem to make much sense to me.

      Delete
  16. Good.. you are both moving forward...all the best xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all you can do. Keep on moving. Lord knows you don't want to stop...

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...