Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Eye yi yi.

 Tim and I both had appointments for eyeglasses at Eyeglass World, the place that offers two pair of eyeglasses starting at $89.99 including the lenses. 

Now I haven't had an eye exam for quite some time. My distance vision was good. It was not always. When I was a kid, I was very nearsighted, with my weakest eye being my left. Every year or so, my parents had to take me for new glasses, an expense they couldn't really afford and always made me feel guilty. 

My weak eyes and I joined the Army. In basic training, the Army issued you two pair of glasses, black framed ugly things. In basic training, you could not wear 'civvie' glasses. The problem was that the glasses were too strong. They actually made me physically sick to wear. I tried to explain that they were not right, but my drill sergeant told me that the Army doesn't make mistakes. I could have argued the point. I was there, wasn't I, and that was sure seeming like a mistake to me. Anyhow, I discovered that I was a better shot without those glasses than with them, and so I quit wearing them. After finishing AIT, the first thing I did when I got home was to get a eye exam for my new glasses. Except that I no longer needed them. 

So. the next few years were corrective lens free. When I took my eye exam to get my license renewed, I always passed it. 

As I left my forties, I began to notice a decline in my close up vision. I was prescribed bifocals, and I can tell you, I never fell up stairs so much in my life. I was told that my brain would learn to accomodate them. It was not the first time that I figured out my brain doesn't work like most everyone elses. I abandoned the bifocals and began to use  'cheaters', those inexpensive pairs of readers that you can pick up at Walmart or even Dollar Tree. I picked them up a half dozen pairs at a time and artfully scattered them around the house. Sometime between then and now, I noticed that I needed to change my cheater strength to something a bit stronger. Being a person who eventually gets around to it, I got around to it a couple weeks ago. Much to my surprise, I discovered that I could no longer rely on the easy fix. The vision in my left eye was once again much worse than the vision in my right. 

I also noticed that the last time that I drove to my son's house at night, the headlights of oncoming cars had rainbow halos in my left eye. I knew what that meant. I was in serious dread of this appointment. 

Long story short, I have cataracts in both eyes, the left being much worse than the right, but still a couple years away from requiring surgery. (-1.75, whatever that means.) The right one was neglible. As I already knew, the left eye was also much weaker than the right, requiring two very different prescriptions for both far and near work. She noted that my right eye needed scarcely any correction for far vision. She asked me if I was thinking of bifocals. 

I said, "You know, I had bifocals and I never could make them work for me. I finally pitched them and went to the cheap cheater glasses. I've been wearing them until the vision got so different that I couldn't do that." 

She said, "I was not going to recommend them in your case. The cataract is bad and you've got significant scarring from the laser surgery on your right. In your case, as inconvenient as it is, having a pair of reading glasses and a pair of driving glasses is going to be the best route. A couple years from now, when your cataract is bad enough to remove, the lens they replace it with will correct your vision enough that you won't even need glasses unless the right cataract gets substantially worse."

Well. That was not what I expected, but it was okay. We were at Eyeglass World. Two pairs of glasses, including lenses starting at $89.99. I went out with my paperwork. Tim was already sitting there looking glum. I picked out my frames, and took them to where Tim was sitting. She efficiently began to list off various options typing very quickly into the computer. 

"Hold on," I said. And I began asking her the price of every single option. She began to give me quite a eyewatering list of prices. 

I began saying no a lot. She began trying to 'sell' me on the upgrades. "No," I said. 

I turned to Tim. "How much did your glasses cost?" 

My eyes bugged when he said, "$640." 

The woman quickly explained that it was because he had bifocals and was getting the transitions lenses too. 

I said, "Is that for two pair of glasses?" I was shocked when Tim said, "I didn't get two pair." 

"Why NOT? The second pair is free!"

Meanwhile the lady went back to my glasses. "Do you want insurance?" 

"No," I said. 

She explained that I'd get new glasses free if they got broken. She also stressed that it did not cover loss of the glasses. 

It's far more likely that I'd lose glasses than get them broken, so I said, "No, I don't need that," once again. I asked Tim whether he'd gotten the insurance. He had. I said, "But Tim, if you got the second free glasses, then you'd have a spare if anything happened. You wouldn't need the insurance. When in your life have you broken a pair of glasses anyway?"

He looked thoughtful. 

I said, "So he'll take his free second pair of glasses, and you can remove the insurance." 

I could tell that she was not happy with my interference. 

We had alloted $69 apiece for eye exams and $89 apiece for the glasses. We expected a total bill of about $320. The fnal tab was $956.

Afterwards, while sitting at a restaurant killing time until I could pick up my glasses, we both discussed it. We should have taken our prescriptions and gone elsewhere for his glasses. Mine were probably not too far off, two pair of glasses for $250, which included the eye exam,  but we could have very probably gotten a much better deal at an optometrist in town for his glasses. 

Hindsight is 20/20.


34 comments:

  1. When I got bifocals I was reduced to crawling up steps. I took them back and switched to progressives. Magnificent. I've has progressives ever since, probably forty years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had progressive and they worked great for me.. I then needed cataract surgery on both eyes and that was like having new eyes. I could see the next day. my health insurance paid for my glasses when I needed them. It did not pay for the cataract surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medicare covers cataract removal, thankfully. But I've come to the sad realization that I'm officially an old git now. Cataracts are an old git affliction. Next thing you know, I'll be complaining about lumbago.

      Delete
  3. Cataract surgery was life changing. I used to have progressives and now just use cheaters in poor light with small print.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got to hop around for everything these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hopping irritated. Does that count? :)

      Delete
  5. Do you have a Costco in your area? They have a pretty good optical department, eye exams, glasses, and contacts. We've been using them for years. Very reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use Costco also, and we have Medicare advantage, so we pay nothing for our glasses. We go to Discover vision first, though, to get our eyes checked. Medicare Advantage only pays for our glasses at Costco, not the optometrist. Even when we didn't have medicare yet, I think their glasses only cost around $200.

      Delete
  6. I buy my glasses on line (zenni) .I never pay over $100 The ones I am wearing now I got to wear until I can schedule a cataract surgery I paid $59.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wore progressives for many years, and I didn't struggle with them. Maybe ten years ago, my eyes improved to the point that there is no restriction on my license. I have a pair of glasses just in case I drive at night because they help then. Same thing has happened to Sue. She has better far vision than ever before although she does use those cheap readers now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wear progressive transitions and they are expensive! But I do love them. I had early onset cataracts and was told by the ophthalmologists that the old way of waiting until they're "ripe" is now out of fashion and that they're harder to remove if you wait until they're more severe. Just something to ask about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will see what happens. Right now, we can make it work.

      Delete
  9. I have never been able to take advantage of any eyesight deals - script too strong so not only will the cheap frames not work but I also need thinprep which costs more. Although I am now in line for cataract surgery- and again, I am not simple so it won't be a "throw away all glasses" solution on offer. Still, they are the best eyes that I have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What was the laser surgery on your eye for? Or did I miss that.
    For what I recently paid for two pair of glasses, I think your glasses were quite cheap and Tim's a bit less than I paid for similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, it was so long ago that I'd forgotten until the doctor mentioned the scarring. I suddenly began seeing jagged lightning in one eye. It was like a strobe light. I had a torn retina. It was repaired with lasers. I have no idea how it happened, and it has not happened since. Probably 20 years ago.

      Delete
  11. I wear reading glasses from " Poundland"..they are £1 ....and I have many pairs all round the house. I had my cataracts done together about 5 years ago and didn't need prescription distance specs for a few years, but I now have some for driving that I bought online for around £30. They work perfectly! My husband has much more expensive glasses than I do, and seems to get talked into all the extras....non glare, go dim in the sun whatever!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As Frances, I too buy the cheap reading glasses from our version of Poundland (£1.50)! I had eye surgery 30 years ago, after a lifetime of very poor vision, which left corneal scarring and then had lens replacement surgery (as for cataracts) about six years ago. My vision was great for these past six years but is now becoming blurred again. As I no longer need to drive, the cheap reading glasses are all I need.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good that you have both got checked...but that opticians sounds like cheap airlines....
    Go to you tube....check out "Cheap Flights" by Fascinating Aïda......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating Aida is hysterical. I will check that out.

      Delete
  14. I buy really cheap reading glasses from Lidl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That solution worked for me for a good long time.

      Delete
  15. In America do they now have "worlds" for everything? "Petworld", "Guitarworld", "Meatworld", "Babyworld" and "Walking Frameworld" for example. Good job that Tim can rely upon his carer for guidance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to answer this in depth, but I am very busy today. I have to do my grocery shopping and have a number of places to stop. Milkworld, Eggworld, Breadworld, etc.

      Delete
  16. Oh lordy, the eyeglass vortex! We know it well, so much so that this year, we will get our exams from our eye dr,(known now as the chain MyEyeDr) which our insurance will pay for and then get glasses from Costco! Friend of ours walked out of Costco with 4 pairs of glasses, 2 of them with transition lenses, and 2 pairs of prescription sunglasses, all for the much lower price of $500! Now, that's 6 pairs for what we would have paid for 1 or 2 at the eye dr.'s. Sigh. The markup on that stuff is just criminal! My Bro-in-law uses Zenni online glasses after he sees his eye doctor, and he claims they're fantastic. He, too, has numerous pairs and it didn't cost him a fortune. Since there seems to be more choices now, we just have to be creative to save money where we can.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those "deals" they offer never, ever are. We've started getting glasses at Costco. Very reasonable. Good quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, every person that mentioned Costco...are they a membership store, like Sam's Club?

      Delete
    2. My Costco card is free because a former co-worker of mine has the Costco card that allows them to have 4 cards and there are only two of them, so I use their account. Now if you ask at Costco they will tell you only family members can have your cards. But EVERYBODY lets their friends use their account if they have extra cards.

      Delete
  18. Whenever I got new prescriptions, it seemed like it would take a day or two before my eyes adjusted and I didn't notice anymore. When I got my bifocals, it took over a week, probably close to ten days before I was fully adjusted. I don't know why it took so long but it did. But it is such a pleasure to come inside, sit down and read a book without holding it with my feet.

    For years, I have been using eyebuydirect.com to get my glasses. I could get two pair for under $50. But they are starting to increase their prices. I think my bifocals (two pair) coast around $120 this last time around. I tried to hook my wife up on the site but she claims that the women's frames are a poor selection so your mileage may vary from mine. Perhaps because I am a man with poor taste, just about any glasses on their site is fine by me.

    I used to wear transitions but gave up on them years ago. They are quite expensive in the plastic lens version anyway, and as they age, they start transitioning slower and slower until it just became an issue. I bought a pair of clip on shades that just clip onto my regular glasses that I can leave in the car and if I forget, easily slip into a pocket. I've been much happier.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tim likes his transitions. He likes progressives. He goes for the whole ball of wax. I just got the polycarbonate lenses. Nothing else. Walking out of the store with the far vision lenses on was awful. I felt like I was going to throw up when I turned my head. Amazingly, after two hours, my eyes started working with my brain and the glasses are fine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've got an eye appointment next week - I'd better start saving!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was unhappy with the glasses I bought at Lens Crafters. After a couple weeks I took them back and got a full refund. You may be able to do this at your eye place.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ouch! Dave and I had a similar experience when we went to the eye doctor together years ago. I had an existing pair of frames (long story) that I had mounted with new lenses for something like £100. Dave's new glasses cost £450! And then he never wore them, so I wound up confiscating those frames and putting my own lenses into them. Those are the glasses I wear now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've gotten 2nd pairs of glasses for my mom at Zenni online. My optometrist is so kind that he's even helped me with the correct information to input so I make sure my glasses prescription will be correct. My kids told me how they get their glasses through this website and I've been very happy with them. I've gotten a travel pair of bifocals from them too as well as single vision reading.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...