Monday, October 9, 2023

The Empty House

They've all departed, and once again, the house seems too big and too empty. 

It was wonderful to have everyone home, though. I enjoyed the time with the grands. 

The first to head out was Cara. Dylan and I drove her to the airport at 2:30 in the morning. It was hard to leave her there. Time just flies by quickly. Every visit seems too short, and this visit was jam packed with happy celebrations to include a wedding. 

We dropped her off and were back home shortly after 6 am. Dylan crashed on the couch and I went back to bed for an hour. The girls were up at 7, and I did not want to miss any of my last moments with them. 

The rest of the morning was spent gathering their stuff together. Dylan observed, "The smaller the person, the more stuff they need to bring along." True.

They had a quick lunch and then they were off too. They tried to time their departure to coincide with their youngest's nap time. If she took her regular two hour nap, they'd be nearly half way home by the time she woke up. She's not a great traveler, and when she is unhappy, she makes sure that everyone within earshot understands this. 

We walked to a restaurant yesterday, all of us.  My oldest daughter and her significant other and my grandson. My son and his wife and the baby in a stroller, the oldest skipping along, gathering leaves and trying to sound out the words on the signs we passed. My youngest. Tim and I. It was like a little parade. 

There were a lot of small moments to treasure and hold close and I will be forever grateful for them. 

Cara arrived back at her home at about the same time that Dylan and his family got back to their own home. As for Tim and I, well, not a lot got accomplished today in our own home. We are both tired, but happy. 


21 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had a good time with the family. Precious memories.
    It is always hard when they leave but enjoy the peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's exciting to have family home for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lot of people visiting at one time. And all family too! Great gathering, and now you can go back to your lives, just like they are, all a bit richer for the time spent together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not your Thanksgiving, but it sure sounds like one. What a wonderful time you seem to have had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I glad it was a good visit. I thought about you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing how much happiness can be spread by little ones without them even being aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You all had a great time and it was worth it. The generations of family come together and we look on with pride at the little ones innocence and take joy in their play.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to hear of the successful visit...and the grands getting to know you well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a very, very happy time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely to have your family all under the one roof again for a while. We have had all our family here in the last week, piecemeal, but cheered us up no end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My parents' and grandparents' generations had moments like those all the time because they all lived locally.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reminds me of my decade of trips down to spend time with my grandparents. Since we always had 18 hours of driving, we let the kids stay up late and then I got them up about three in the morning to leave. They would immediately pass our and I often got a good six hours of driving in before they would wake up. After a big lunch, I could often count on another two hours of peaceful driving while they napped as well. Scary to think that now I can nap while my oldest drives me!

    Sounds like you had a great time with family. I imagine your heart is very full right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you were able to enjoy your family. I hope one day to know the joy of grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your description of the family walking to the restaurant; really cute, and kind of rare these days. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sure you feel happy and sad Debby? Hope you all meet up again soon Debby.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you all had a lovely visit. It's hard having children so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've missed your blog entries, but I know you were having a good time with your family; it really is better to stay off the Internet when special people are around. Did the men find enough football on television to watch?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad the visit went so well and you have happy memories to cherish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now it's time for rest and recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now this is exactly what I hoped to read. I'm so glad y'all had that time together. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Debby, very glad the visit with you and Tim went so lovely, now you can get back to your blogging 🙂

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...