Sunday, October 22, 2023

Facebook.

Somehow, my facebook got reactivated for a short time last week. I didn't do it, and I had one heck of a time trying to deactivate it again. The way I deactivated it the first time no longer worked. I had an awful feeling I was hacked, and worried about what nefarious scams were being committed with my face and name and account. 

In the end, I was able, once again, finally, to get it deactivated, but in the brief time that it was up, I could see that it had not changed much. It was the same drama. The same misinformation. The same "if you love Jesus, you'll share this post' memes. A life hack I saw helpfully pointed out that you can use a washer instead of a quarter to get yourself an Aldi cart. 

For those who do not know, in order to keep their parking lot clear of shopping cart, you pay a quarter deposit to free your cart. You do your shopping. At the checkout counter, you unload your cart as the ever busy cashiers ring you up and put your merchandise into the cart at the end of the counter. You pay for your groceries, push your cart to the end of the counter, taking the fully loaded cart over to the bagging area, where you bag your stuff up. You push it out to your car. Load your car. Push the cart back, activate the little thingamabob and the quarter pops out. 

The cart with your washer in it is being loaded by the cashier for the customer behind you. 

I pondered this. I mean, really, how LOW do you have to be to cheat someone out of a quarter? What kind of a wierdo do you have to be to be so delighted by your little scheme that you make a facebook post about it? And all the people 'liking' the post. My god. 

After a month away, it all seemed especially ridiculous to me and I was glad when I was able, once again, to deactivate the account.

LATE EDIT: I believe that I have figured out how it was reactivated. William's VR is a Meta account, which uses my Facebook as a sign on. My daughter added two games. I think that is when the Facebook got reactivated.


26 comments:

  1. I deactivated an old account a few months ago. This week I thought I should check make sure it was gone and it opened right up. Now I will go through it all to close the account again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine how mine reactivated. That is the scary part.

      Delete
  2. I deactivated my account in June 2016 and I still get emails from old classmates, cousins, etc asking me when I plan on coming back. No offense to any of them, but I would rather watch paint dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey....if you are interested in watching paint dry, you could come here and do some painting and observe to your little heart's content....

      Delete
  3. You are absolutely right. At least 95% of it is a completely waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you think of one thing in your life that you would devote so much time to with so little positive result? It's a personal choice, obviously. Everyone is different. But the more I thought about it, the less sense it made for me.

      Delete
  4. Curious... why not permanently delete your Facebook account as opposed to deactivating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I use the IM to keep in touch with my daughter who lives overseas. If it weren't for that, I would.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply. I've never had a Facebook account and was unaware of the IM feature.

      Delete
    3. Fair question, and you're welcome!

      Delete
  5. That's just bizarre. Why not just use a quarter? You get it back, for God's sake. I will never understand people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Obviously I don't mean "you," I mean people in general. :) )

      Delete
    2. That last went without saying....

      Delete
  6. Many of the people at the Aldi where I shop will hand you their cart as they are returning it, with the quarter still in it, saying "Just pay it forward." Which I do. It happens at least half the times I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that..it happens here as well. Which makes the rip off artists even harder to understand, doesn't it.

      Delete
  7. I just did some judicious weeding of my friends list this weekend. I give it a good pruning every now and then to keep it free of people who just post memes or other assorted unoriginal trash.

    I'm not hurting for money but I am always amazed at how many people at Aldi's will hand over their cart they are pushing back to the line and refuse my quarter of compensation. I still believe there are more people out there like that than those using washers, which the last time I got one at the local hardware store, probably cost me more than $0.25 for one the size of a quarter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine anyone doing that, but just the fact that someone suggested it and it had scads of 'likes' is just strange to me.

      Delete
  8. I check in and out on FB. I've never spent too much time there. I don't so as well on Twitter, but I pretty well have it set to subjects that I want. I don't post much in either place, a little more on FB, but they are quick hits. We use the Messenger part a lot as this family doesn't phone unless heck is freezing over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is always been the way that I kept in touch with my daughter - no matter where she is, I can video chat with her.

      Delete
  9. Must admit I also use the messenger to keep in touch with family. Like for instance this morning when I couldn't find Lillie, but she was asleep up in the attic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I read about a fellow who messaged his wife to bring him a roll of toilet paper.

      Delete
  10. I know that if you revisit fb after de-activating, then it re-activates the account. But I don't have any problem with fb because I don't read the newsfeed. I only look at the few groups I'm in and occasionally the few relatives I am fb friends with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After deactivating, the icon on my phone still shows, but when you hover on it, it shows, 'log in to facebook'. I can reactivate it but only after entering my user name and password.

      Delete
  11. I have never ever wanted to participate with FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, sir, are a very clever bunny. Stick to your plants and your critters.

      Delete
  12. I deactivated my account several years ago, but thought I'd join again just so I could use it to access some sites. It's been such a long time though that my account was gone and I couldn't find my original account. Ahh well....

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...