Thursday, October 12, 2023

The Little Engine that Couldn't

We've been working on the rehab for the past couple days. It's hard to explain, but we are hauling in sheets of drywall. We bring them from the truck straight into the front door, straight down the hall into the gutted kitchen. We then stand them up on end and push them through the floor joists of the gutted bathroom above. They are then ready to haul to whichever of the three upstairs bedrooms we are working on. 


Can we build it? Turns out, no. No we can't. 

The problem is that in the kitchen, I have to move and then push the drywall sheets up through the floor joists into the bathroom where Tim is waiting to grab hold and pull them up into that space. The sheets are heavy and they bend and give. The instability requires me to constantly adjust my center of gravity to maintain the balance. This has wreaked absolute havoc on my bad knee. Upstairs, I could hear Tim struggling too, although he wouldn't admit it. Not ever. 

After two days of this, my knee is as bad as it has ever been. This morning, I was lurching around like a drunk person. 

I told Tim, "I cannot do those sheets by myself any more and I'm not going to do it. I think you're struggling too."

He said, "Do you think you could help me hang the drywall up there already?" I agreed that was doable. It is not a problem to carry the stuff with a person on each end. I just cannot handle the entire weight of the whole sheet by myself any longer. My sister and her husband are stopping in Sunday. We're going out to eat and then we'll use the extra hands to get that drywall where it needs to go. 

I had to face it.  I'm getting older. 

In any case, we went to the house today, and we worked together. It went well. After using all the full sheets of drywall we had upstairs, we were able to continue on the job by cutting the drywall to size downstairs and carrying the smaller pieces up the stairs. We still need full sheets upstairs to complete the job, but we were able to get quite a bit done today.

When we stopped for lunch, Tim got a call from Levi who wondered if Tim could come up in the truck and drive him to an auction. Tim likes auctions and said yes right away. 

It will be a nice break for my knee. 




30 comments:

  1. I couldn't have done that thirty years ago let alone now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to pretend I was hefting that stuff around like a dock worker, but I just remember being able to do more.

      Delete
  2. You guys are really overextending yourselves. I hope you stay safe! Smaller sheets sounds like a good idea. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we were putting up the full sheets, but you always wind up having to cut some. We got the full sheets hung and then had to cut around windows and doors so that made the lifting a bit easier.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good call. Better safe than sorry! Also -- what happened to your blog?! I thought I was on the wrong page for a moment! Just time for an aesthetic update?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weaver has a problem with seeing writing on a dark background. I changed it up for her.

      Delete
  4. THis is a great looking blog face...I expect we'll all benefit from the brighter face type. Goodness, I sure am sorry you pushed those heavy sheets of drywall up above to your hubby. Do rest that knee, or brace it or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hoped that maybe it would make a difference for our Weaver. The print is larger too.

      Delete
  5. I remember that dry wall sheets are very, very heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is only 1/4 inch, so it's not as heavy as the thicker stuff. It's just that it's more 'floppy' and it is the flexibility that's causing me problems. I just cannot blow my knee completely out at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been thirty years since I handled sheets of drywall, and I couldn't do it alone then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is easier with two. All I had to do was put it in place and push it up to Tim. I used to be able to do that. I can't carry it by myself and I never could.

      Delete
  8. Sometimes we just have to be kind to ourselves. For some people at some times, not everybody at all times you understand, I think the motto should be to put off until tomorrow what you probably shouldn't do today. Or something like that. I'm working on it. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about the opposite of the Nike slogan: "Just don't do it."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I suspect that if a Health and Safety person were consulted they would recommend a team of four strong people to do the job - and probably a fifth to stand and observe. I'll volunteer for that last position if you're desperate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. If a job like that comes up, I'm taking it, buster.

      Delete
  11. I hate struggling doing jobs when two people can do it so easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I have made up my mind I'm not pushing myself like that anymore. Just not doing it.

      Delete
  12. Love the new blog page, easier on the eyes. How kind of you to do it for Pat! When I read all that you and your husband manage to do, I am in awe, seriously! I am 62, and pretty fit, and wouldn't attempt what you do on the regular! Working in our yard a week ago, cutting back the 20 million perennials, I stood up from said back breaking work and said, "I am not doing this, ever again!" UGH! There's stuff I like to do, watering flowers, cleaning out bird baths, cutting grass, shoveling snow, but the rest of it? Nope. But then my husband would end up doing all of it, because he refuses to ask for help. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to tell you, I used to enjoy working on houses. The thrill is gone. I just am ready to be done with that part of my life. It looks like I'll be 70 when that happens. :(

      Delete
  13. Well I admire you for tenacity, house building is something I have never gone in for, but watch the knee, they are very useful when walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that I simply am not all that interested in it anymore. I'm retired now. I want to work on the things that I want to do. Unfortunately, we've got this house. I've been urging Tim to sell it as is. He's never one to walk away from a dollar. It's worth a lot more when it is done.

      Delete
  14. I also really appreciate your new blog format. A lot less squinting for old eyes. I second the suggestion of a good knee brace to help stabilize it. I strap on anything I can when I head out to garden anymore. 😂. Take care. Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it as well. It's been a lot of years since I made a change. I was overdue. A knee brace does not seem to help me, unfortunately.

      Delete
  15. I am already feeling my age when it comes to moving sheet goods around. I can't imagine moving any amount of drywall the way you just described. Anymore when I get plywood for my projects, I load it flat onto carts at the store, wheel it out in flat form to my van and just slide them in. Back home, I slide them out and then just tip them up against a wall until needed. I have a easy clamp sheet good lifter but I still avoid using it at much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to get them upstairs to lean them against the wall. Our stairs make a 't' if you can picture it. You've got a flight of stairs coming up from the front hall. They meet with a flight of stairs coming up from the kitchen. You have a 90 degree walled corner where they meet and continue up a common stair case to the second floor. You can't get full sheets of drywall up that staircase.

      The kitchen staircase will likely be ripped out and closed off to make a pantry. The kitchen is very small by modern standards.

      Delete
  16. I don't think I have ever been able to do what you are able to do, Debby! I'm glad you are being more careful now, tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have reached a point where I just don't WANT to do it anymore. Stick a fork in me, I'm finished.

      Delete
  17. Well, let us bless Levi for providing a break for you. I, too, have a wonky knee and I know that the sort of thing you're doing, having to readjust your balance constantly, would have it completely inoperable within an hour. You will be of NO use to Tim or anyone if you f**k it up to the point you can't even walk on it.
    Love the new look of your blog! And the Bob The Builder having the same middle name as Jack The Ripper made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The value of a morning giggle cannot be underestimated.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...