Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Wicked Hot

 I would like to say that great things got accomplished today. They didn't. We brought the windows up from storage in the unliveable house. (You know...because of the snakes...) 

We put them in the new house. We unloaded the windows we had in the truck and brought them inside. We put the door we bought from Mona inside as well. That felt like a lot of work, because it was HOT. Humid. The kind of day when sweat pours off you for no other reason than because you're standing outside. 

The windows were all framed in. Tim needed to cut out the sheeting. I put flashing around the inside of the windows and then we pulled the windows into place, Tim on the outside, me on the inside. He nailed them into place 


The end two windows are in what will be our bedroom. The smaller window is in what will be the laundry room. Tim changed his mind on the size, and we bought the smaller window on the day of the careless cashiers, but then we didn't like it. The first window was too big. The new window was too small. and so he pulled out another window he had in his 'stash', and and it was just right. However, that change in size meant that he had to redo the framework that he already had for for the original size window. That took a bit.

This is the front of the house. I wanted you to see the roof that Levi and the boys put on for us. We did the trusses and perlins, but the tin was done by them. We are indebted. 

That opening is for the window in the spare bedroom. That goes in tomorrow. The big square that you see on the front at the right side of the front will be where the sliding glass doors go eventually. We can't install them until we get the cast iron bathtub lifted inside through that opening though. We are using the tractor for that. Once that is inside, we can install the sliding doors. They are not on site yet, but we did pick them out. Eventually they will open into a three season screened porch for relaxing. At the right side of the house, we will be putting in the door. We are going to hold off installing any windows on that end until we are 100% sure of the layout. 

Tomorrow is supposed to be another scorcher, but they are calling for thunderstorms in the evening, which will be mighty welcome, believe you me. Not just for the cooler weather, but we will finally see whether the retaining walls will solve our little problem of eroding dirt. I may have to add another row of concrete blocks. Once we are sure that problem is solved, we will be able to finish backfilling the front of the house. 

So that's it really. Both of us came home with little energy. We watched an episode of Antiques Roadtrip today. They went to Chesterfield. I saw familiar sights, and it made me happy to know that I'd seen them with my own eyes. 




34 comments:

  1. Fancy you getting Antiques Roadtrip on tv there. Glad you enjoyed it. That's something we watch regularly of course. It gets Keith "out of the house". If you ever get Bargain Hunt, I'm on a few of those in Carmarthen (Botanic Gardens Fair).

    Glad you made a start on the windows, and you have my sympathies with the heat and humidity. No fun when you have to work in those conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have Roku. We stream a lot of stuff. I love Antiques Road trip. The American version is Antiques Road Show. I like the completion part though. The auctions are our favorite part.

      Delete
  2. Levi and the boys are so talented. It's looking great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All that tin installed in two mornings! Mind boggling. We had set aside a week for it!

      Delete
  3. It's looking spiffing. Fingers crossed for the retaining wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a high achieving day, getting all those windows into place and secured. Your roof looks perfect.

    You may remember we too visited Chesterfield in May, with the crooked church spire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I thought of you as soon as I saw it!

      Delete
  5. Good progress despite the humidity. Its a nice size, especially with a basement.
    That is a good roof..I like a roof to have an overhang, decent eaves, and it is well made

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a pneumatic nailer with a tip for placing nails in holes so I have to hand pound all those nails around the perimeter of a window. After doing several, I am always worried that I'm going to start getting tired enough that I miss and send a hammer through the glass.

    What is that in the background of the second picture? Looks sort of like a treehouse but perhaps that is a porch on the original storage house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a hunting blind from the previous owners. There are two of them. Tim has not decided where it is going permanently, so it is just pushed back out of the way.

      Delete
  7. Amazing that you can work in this heat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sit in awe whilst reading what you and Tim accomplish; that is pure hard, physical work, and in this heat!! I am 62, and I can do a fair bit of the hard stuff, but not day in and day out like you two! Used to help friends move, but put them all on notice a few years ago - that NOPE, you hire people to move the big-ass things, and I will help carry boxes and such, clean, etc. But no more bar-backing. Nope. When done, the two of you can look around with such pride! I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is going to be our last huge project. I have said it before but this time I really mean it.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Most of the work is the invisible stuff so far...

      Delete
  10. Good to hear details as you finish another day, full of many quarts of sweat, if you will! This project is something you can hopefully enjoy for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would have been a two-bottles-of-beer day for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably should stop and think about the second beer there, Tasker.

      Delete
  12. Around here, EVERY day is the kind where sweat pours off of you the minute you step outside. *sigh* Glad you managed to get a lot done, despite the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think for a moment that I wasn't thinking of you, Jennifer, Mary, Bob and many other southern folks I can't think of because I am. Too. Hot. Or maybe just a big baby.

      Delete

  13. Construction is so much work and so time-consuming! My taller half is a general contractor and not only am I surprised and impressed by the skills necessary to do things correctly, but by the care and hours of effort that are always a lot more than I assumed. So "good on ya!" for being so ambitious and tackling it all. Especially in the heat! I helped him side a house during a hot week and was so exhausted at the end of each day that I felt guilty for not previously being a more kind and generous "chief cook and bottle-washer" lol -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  14. That weather does sound unpleasant, but kudos for getting anything accomplished! We're having temps in the mid-80s and everyone's moaning about how hot it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I am impressed, I could not do the things you two do if my life depended on it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read this last night and started contemplating the difference between our planning laws. In the UK before we start building all the details of the windows etc would have to be agreed and approved. You seem to have a lot more freedom.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...