Monday, September 18, 2023

Complaining AGAIN

 Today, we bought the sliding door for the new house. We priced carefully, and we had one last place to check before we committed, so we ran up there first. They only had three doors, and there was some things about them that Tim was not happy about. So, we left that store and headed for home. We'd buy our door at Lowe's. 

I wanted to check and see if they had juniper shrubs on sale, so Tim dropped me off at the plant section, the plan being that I would check and then head right over to 'Doors and Windows'. Tim had two questions and he wanted the woman working to answer them. We didn't want to drive all the way down to the new build to find out that we didn't have everything we needed to complete the job. 

We figured it would be zip, zip, zip. We were wrong.

An elderly lady arrived about the same time as Tim, and he politely let her go first. The woman had ordered a new storm door, but decided after thinking about it, that she wanted to get a new front door as well. She had questions. 

The employee excused herself to us, and walked back with the customer to search through the doors. She also needed the door to be added to the original order for the storm door because that was being installed. She wanted the door she had just bought to be installed as well and at the same time as her storm door. 

We'd been standing there for very close to a half hour, but we waited. I wandered off to look at bathtub surrounds and found a dandy one marked down from $570-something to $270 something. I walked back and told Tim about it. He wandered over to have a look. On the way back to the window/door center, we saw a tile on sale and stopped to discuss that.  Tim walked off to use the restroom. I returned to the desk to wait for our turn.

The woman was struggling. Her problem as she explained, was that she didn't know how to add to the original order. The person that placed the orginal order was not there. She was not sure if he had even ordered the screen door. Her biggest fear was that she'd make a mistake she'd made previously. It seems that employees in their departments need to earn points, and one of the ways you earn them is based on the amount of product the employee sells. When she added to the order the last time, she wound up getting credit for the whole order, and the other employee was pretty mad at her, thinking she was intentionally trying to steal points from him. 

She was embarrassed and apologetic, but she said to the elderly woman and to us (by that time, Tim had returned) "I'm going to call for a manager. I'm not sure how to do this without getting in trouble. 

We'd been there a half an hour or more already, but I really did think that the employee was doing the best she could. She excused herself from the elderly lady and said, "I'll be right back. I'm going to help these folks while we wait for the manager."

She efficiently grabbed a cart, we scooted back. We could still see her desk and register from where we were. She answered our questions and we were in the process of loading up when the manager arrived on scene. 

The employee explained the problem. 

The manager stared at her with exaggerated patience. "Is this an emergency?"

The employee looked flustered. "It's just that these people have been waiting a really long time, and so is the lady at the register and...." 

The manager smiled, and sweetly asked, with a great deal of patience 'Is. This. An. Emergency?' and then she added. "We will talk later."   

SHE WALKED AWAY.

I really could not believe that. The employee stared after her helplessly. 

I said, "Well. Thank goodness. It could have been worse. It could have been an emergency." 

We pushed the cart back up to her desk, as she explained, "I'm new in this department. There's not time to really be thoroughly trained." 

A fellow from another department came over to help and said impatiently, "You should know how to do this. You've done it before." The employee said, "I haven't though. I did it wrong when I did it." 

The elderly woman was showing signs of impatience. I said comfortingly, "There, there. It could be worse. The manager has explained that this is not an emergency."

I'd have liked to ask Nadiia (two i's) a question. We had over $1400 worth of product on our cart. The woman was ordering a door that cost over $500. That's combined sales of over $2000. How much money has to be involved before she thinks it is important enough to waste her precious time on? 

The two employees worked together, and to be perfectly honest, he didn't seem all that sure of the procedure, but they finally finished up business with the elderly lady. She efficiently rang our frame, our two panels, the screen and a brushed nickle handle, thanking us over and over again for our patience. "Listen," I said. "I really find that manager's attitude kind of shocking. If I call that to corporate's attention, will that get you in trouble? Do you want me to drop it?" 

She looked at me, thinking. She's worked there a pretty long time. She said, "No. If I were the customer, I'd complain." 

We walked out the door over an hour after we'd entered. 

And, yes, I complained. 



28 comments:

  1. I'd probably complain, if I remembered when I got back home. However, corporate may also not give a damn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not everyone is manager material-no matter how long they have been in Corporate's employ. Hope you gave the person helping you & the other lady a kudo to Corporate. A good manager is only "good" based on those he/she manages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m glad you complained! But so good of you to ask that person first if it would get her in trouble! -Ricki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. You probably should have said something at the time, but I wouldn't have managed to either. It's hard to know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not feel that there was any point complaining to the manager. She would have dismissed me as quickly as she did her employee. When I complain, I want it to make a difference. I took it to corporate.

      Delete
  5. This type of behavior by employees, managers, etc. in retail establishments seems more and more common. In this case, I feel terrible for the employee trying to the right thing but with a manager who has a dollar threshold for "emergencies." With the rapid move to digital purchases, that manager is fortunate to have a job. Obviously she doesn't see it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lowes service here is a disaster. Lowes is closing in CAnada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will be interesting to hear the company's response.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have walked out after ten minutes at the most. You can spend your money anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awful. It sounds like the manager has probably been promoted to fill a vacancy and hasn't got the ability to actually manage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your life gets complicated Debby but you both have great patience. I wouldn't have allowed the manager to stomp off like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have done no good. She would have no more given me the time of day then she did her employee. I also wanted to talk to the employee. I did n't want to make her situation worse.

      Delete
  11. Whatever happened to the idea of the customer always being right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. We don't have a Lowes near us, only a Menards. But I would rather pull a tooth than have to deal with any of the "associates" on the floor there to help me. Just last week, I needed a specific type of screw for a project. From past experience, I knew it was not in the aisle with all the nails and screws but after walking through a dozen aisles, couldn't find it. I finally broke down and asked on of the associates. She said specialty screws were in the screw aisle without even looking on her computer. I told her that I had been down this road before and have always had to ask someone to look it up on their computer to get the actual aisle and it has never been in the screw aisle. Only then, did I mention the screw was made by Kreg and then she told me all the Kreg products were in an aisle 8 aisles away from the screws. There I found my screws, in an aisle full of clamps.

    Because of experiences like that, I find myself going through Amazon if I'm not in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. We don't have a Home Depot near us either but I've had better customer experiences there than either Lowes or Menards. I have pondered that they must have customer training classes more than the other two.

    P.S.S. My new favorite term I heard recently. Lonards Depot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is awful treatment of a staff member.
    Yes, complain about that manager. They seem to play on the fact that people are desperate to keep their jobs...and it is misuse and abuse of power

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking on this. At my last job, there were people who were 'management' who should not have been. They were there because they were fawning and agreeable to those above, but they really could make the lives of those under them miserable. Watching this play out, what we had, truly, was managers who were not knowledgeable, and if you asked them a question, they got very irritated. I know this manager is new to the store. She walked off because she did not know the answer. She said what she said because she was making it clear to the employee that she needed to figure it out without her help. The sotto sweet voice was for our benefit. And nope. Not one thing from corporate.

      Delete
  15. I think really that the elderly lady should have realised she had a complicated set of issues and let you go first. I would and often do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, I am sure that she never expected that she was asking something that was above the level of training of the employee. In addition to the fact that the employee was new in the position, you had someone who was trying very hard to not screw up. This nervousness really does demonstrate an unhealthy work place dynamic.

      Delete
  16. Things are just never simple, are they? Even if they aren't an emergency. That manager was rude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether or not it was (in her mind) an emergency or not, you had an employee who was struggling, two customers who had been waiting for nearly an hour. This can be verified by watching the store video. A good manager would have helped the employee without being rude and dismissive. A good manager would have put the customer first. A good manager might even think that the employee needed some additional training, and she would make that happen.

      Delete
    2. A good manager would have had their eye on the store camera and just Happen by and ask Anything I can help with?... nicely....

      Delete
  17. A couple of things: 1.) If the Lowe's would train their folks prior to putting them on the floor, this likely would not have happened. 2.) Management's job is to assist the customers and if need be the employees in the dept. they manage. This manager failed at both.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A bad, rude manager took over my favorite Ace Hardware store. I see many of the older guys who worked the floor are gone; pretty sure the new bad manager made it difficult. I go to a different one now. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good on you for calling that manager out to corporate. She needs taken down a peg or two. The older I get, the more patient I am with new employees, it seems. I've been there too, and it's not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is pretty appalling. I'm surprised a manager would act that way in front of customers and you were right to complain. Just another sign that customer service in general is in the toilet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad you spoke up, that man needs a refresher course in customer service.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...