Friday, September 15, 2023

Murphy's Law

 ..or sod's law, depending on where you live. 

Remember when I went to buy heads for my electric toothbrush? I bought a five pack at Walmart (for $40) and discovered that Phillips sonicare toothbrushes are not all the same. So I had to return the toothbrush heads. The store did not have the ones that I needed. I thought maybe my brush had become obsolete (don't you hate when they change things up like that?) but when I looked on A----n, they had them. I had paid $12 for a pack of 10, with free shipping, of course. 

I was, as Northsider Dave would say, 'a happy bunny'. 

Except two days ago, my toothbrush quit in the middle of a brushing. I plugged it into the charger and thought nothing more of it. But the next time I tried to use it, it would not turn on. I fiddled around with it, using different charging blocks, but in the end, decided that it was toast. 

And me with my stockpile of replacement heads! Murphy's law!

I know that my toothbrush is not the more popular one which stands in a charger. Mine uses a USB cable and a charging block and I liked that because if I was, say, visiting my daughter, that toothbrush could travel with me. I'd just need to borrow one of their charging blocks to plug my USB cable into.

It also came with a cute little travel case. (I know, I know...it surely doesn't take much to turn my head, does it?)

I knew that I did not want to buy it on A----n, because...well...you know. I don't get over stuff, and I still haz a mad at them. I had canceled my Prime account and vowed to use them as little as possible. The low price on my toothbrush was $34, which wasn't a bad deal, but I went off for a bit of a looky-loo. (Thanks, Ed. I use that A LOT)

I wound up getting one for $18.95, free shipping, on Flea-bay (thanks to GZ for that terminology). I hesitated for a minute because I would save money if I bought two, but in the end, placed my order for one toothbrush, declining the replacement heads since I have 8 sitting in a drawer here. 

I used to do a great deal of shopping through The Company That Shall Not Be Named. Being a prime member meant that I never paid for shipping. It was also convenient. I guess that it had become a habit. 

It amazes me that I'm buying Christmas gifts right now and putting things away, to avoid the last minute panic shopping that reduces me simply taking the easiest path (A----n) to get things accomplished quickly. That shopping has borne out the very same lesson as my toothbrush. Almost everything that I have ordered came with free shipping, and the prices, if not lower, were comparable, 

This has been an eye opener for me. 


29 comments:

  1. I have had my Philips sonicare for several years now and am dreading that time when it just stops working (happened to my last one). I looked up the cost of a replacement for the equivalent model and it is over £100 !!! No A....n for me either. I cancelled my account with them a couple of years ago. I shall have to brush my teeth faster before the toothbrush wears out....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look on E-bay, seriously. I was surprised. It never would have occurred to me that you could buy things there. Not everything is 'pre-owned'. (Ew. The vision of a pre-owned toothbrush made me shiver!) You can get an awful lot of brand new stuff there too.

      Delete
  2. We have a Sonicare that I expect will need replacing soon because we've had it for a long time. I *think* the last brushes were ones that would fit many models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like the wide based ones do fit many models. If I were you, I wouldn't stock up on heads until you get the new toothbrushes.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A happy bunny feeling or state of mind is wonderful Debby. Keep searching out those bargains folks! That's why I am always rooting round car boot sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is what I do, Dave. Hey! I've got a garden question for you. I bought a couple bushels of tomatoes and I noticed that some of them are lightly touched with blight. (I figure this out when I am skinning them after their hot water bath.) I've been composting. It struck me yesterday after I dumped a colander full of skins into the compost bin...does the hot water bath kill the blight, or have I just contaminated my compost?

      Delete
  5. My electric toothbrush was old but it still worked perfectly. I ran out of heads, went to buy some and guess what- they quit making them. Well Gee Dee. They did, however, have some sort of generic brand that claimed to be essentially the same. I ordered them. This was, yes, on A****n. They did not work as well at all as the name brand ones. Big surprise, right? So I got another kind of electric toothbrush at Costco. I do not like it nearly as much and the heads are $$$$.
    Dammit!
    They have just opened a megalith of an Amazon (I"m just gonna say it. Sorry.) distribution center in Tallahassee, a few miles from me. They've literally been building it for years. Now it is open and that company is the biggest employer in this area. And there must have been hundreds, if not thousands, of workers hired to build it. And yet, I know without a doubt that the massive profits they make mostly go to the celestial echelon of the company.
    So many factors to consider in this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I sure don't want to give the impression that I'm urging a nation-wide boycott of Amazon. The company did not do right by me, after stringing me along for weeks assuring me that they would. There are other places to shop. It's personal, for me, but to each his own.

      Delete
  6. I've never had an electric tooth brush and so far I still have all my natural teeth (I'm 76). It sounds like an electric toothbrush is more hassle (and cash) than it's worth. As for Amazon, I haven't used them for years since they signed me up for Prime without my permission and had to give me a refund.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will not argue with success, that's for sure. 76 and all your teeth is quite amazing! I am 10 years younger and I have been fighting with my teeth for a long time now. It's reaching the point where I wonder if it is time to cry 'uncle' and opt for dentures.

      Delete
  7. Especially in the USA but here as well, Fleabay is pushing sellers to do free postage..which is fine if the postage will be the same wherever...and what happens is that the item price will include an amount to cover postage and packing......
    So I prefer postage separate. It is, in a way a more honest way of working. No such thing as a free lunch as they say!!

    My youngest son's wife starts buying presents in January...see something that will suit?...get it, wrap it, LABEL IT!!!😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally do the same. Whenever I feel gloomy, I go upstairs and wrap something, taking my time, putting ribbons on...and always a tag! It is a nice pick me up. However, this year got off to a bumpy start.

      Delete
  8. I'm manual too. The dentist nattered me for years to go electric. Last time she congratulated me on my brushing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you must have sturdier teeth than mine, you and Nick both!

      Delete
  9. One of thec few good things about being 90 is that I can get away with giving everybody money for Christmas - I can no longer cope wih presents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim's kids do not want gifts. They want money. That's always a bit of a disappointment, but Tim seems comfortable that way, and so...

      But my favorite thing is to see the perfect thing for that perfect someone and to get it. I've always been an idjit about these things. I am not sure how I'll be when I'm 90. I will drop you a line and let you know though.

      Delete
  10. I would hate to give up my A---n account. Living where I do, it's almost essential if I am to get the things I need at reasonable cost. I sell on ebay and also shop there. Both places have made a huge difference for me, with any major stores being an hour or more away. The savings in gas and time! But I get why people have issues with both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone's situation is different, and I am a stubborn woman.

      Delete
  11. Isn't that the way? You solved one problem only to have the toothbrush quit on you! Frustrating! I'm wondering about going back to a plain toothbrush if my SonicCare dies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if I hadn't had a stash of brush heads, I think I would have stuck with the Phillips. I think it does a good job.

      Delete
  12. Well good for you, finding a replacement toothbrush somewhere else than at A…n!
    I use the ones with batteries now, but I totally understand the lure of a cute carrying case!😂 I have a duplicate in Norway and I just take the battery out when I leave.. and bring replacement brush heads as needed. Happy Friday to you and your family! Xo Ricki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased with it. I have a toothbrush at my sons house. I guess it did not occur to me to remove the battery. Sensible!

      Delete
  13. As is said, always shop around. You did, and won.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard of it referred to as Sod's law but whatever the name, I have been bitten by it more than once in my life, just not with toothbrushes since I use the manual kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learn a lot by reading blogs, Ed, yours included.

      Delete
  15. I'm still a reluctant user of the electric toothbrush. My dentist talked me into one and I use it occasionally, but I think when it dies I'm going back to old-fashioned hand-held!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...