Monday, September 25, 2023

Check, check aaaaand check...

Today was spent in a flurry of preparations. Cara will be flying here in just two days. I haven't seen her since I went there in February 2022. I am looking forward to this more than words can say. 

Dylan and Brittani are coming home too. It sounds very strange to say it, but my oldest grandaughter has been to my house once. She was just a baby and she doesn't remember. There was the covid years and after that, it was just easier for me to go there because a five hour drive is not fun for a toddler, and then there were two little girls...and well...it just never seemed to work out. 

But now they are all coming, and this means a great deal to me. So much that I found myself getting a bit nervous about it. I know that I'm being silly. Looking around the bedroom for Dylan and Brittani, the little Pack n Play set up in the corner, suddenly it hit me that I needed, with all due haste, to get light blocking curtains for the baby's afternoon nap. The room is bright with three windows. 

Off I went. Amazingly, I found what I needed, in the colors I needed, being clearanced out. How often does something like that happen? It was meant to be, wasn't it? I felt so good about it that I bought some pillow cases that matched with the comfortor on the bed. 

I brought everything home, made a zucchini frittata for supper, and while it was baking, ran back and forth between the kitchen and the upstairs. 

I think everything looks very pretty and fresh. 

All that's left is to get the upstairs bathroom a quick polish and I'm done. 

Being busy helps. The mindless busy-ness helps. There is something very comforting about ticking boxes at a worrying time. 

Cara's bedroom, check. 

Dylan and Brittani's bedroom, check, 

Furniture polished, check. 

Frittata, check, 

Ridiculously, I have Christmas shopping done for my son's family, check, check, check and check.  

I have my Christmas shopping just about done for my daughter and her husband, check and check.

It helps, because what I've discovered is that if I start talking about things, I can't stop. It's like the floodgates open and I blaaaaaaaaaab....  Tim is still being quiet about it all and I feel as if it is disresepctful of me. Much better for me to keep to my to-do list, to keep ticking things off my list. It makes me feel as if I have everything under control. 

(spoiler: I don't.)

41 comments:

  1. I can almost feel your excitement at having your kids back home. I need to stay busy when I'm worried too. Have a wonderful visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Due to a last minute emergency, our Christmas gathering did not happen. It was hell knowing that my daughter and her husband were here, but that we could not meet them. That nearly broke my heart.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Pixie, I can feel your excitement too--I'm super happy for you Debby, nothing like lots of family!! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it presents as "all under control" so you can tick that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a jolly time! Sounds like you've prepared your house as a regular vacation rental spot. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that I'm just hopeful of having them visit more often. I know that in my youngest daughter's case, she is constrained by the distance and expense, but I'd love to have the kids come home more.

      Delete
  5. Oh, are you excited? I hadn't noticed 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It's hard to tell with me. I'm a bit of a stoic.

      Delete
  6. He needs to come to terms with things in his own time. Don't worry. He'll talk about things when ready. We did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that I am processing things more quickly because it is not happening to ME, personally. I really try to respect that.

      Delete
  7. I get the keeping busy bit. Same here (((0)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will be like Christmas Day but in September.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keeping busy is good.

    I came here after reading your comment on Cro’s blog - “media whore” is the perfect description and yet some people still say he makes a lot of sense, even if he does talk too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is very intelligent, and like any intelligent person, he's going to strike the right chord from time to time. I admire his brilliance, but I do not understand the conspiracy theory mindset, seeing everything as a plot. That's the stuff of a paranoid mind, and unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of those about today.

      Delete
  10. It's so wonderful that your family is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Which explains why I'm sitting in front of the computer in my jammies at 11 am.

      Delete
  12. I'd be surprised if you weren't super prepared.
    I remember your post's about England and how interesting they were. It seems like it was so long ago.
    So you are prepared, now to sit back and just enjoy the visit, not overthink anything and chill. You've done your best already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like it was so long ago. It was a marvelous month.

      Delete
  13. Yes. At times when we feel as if things are out of our control, it is helpful to control what we can. I hope it is a beautiful visit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not to that stage in life to know what you are going through. All I can do is imagine my mom doing much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like you are ready and I hope it is a fabulous visit! Enjoy the moments! "Don't worry; be happy!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want it to be the best time that I can make it.

      Delete
  16. I admire your approach and your vigour.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Having family around is always a good thing...but let them do some of the work of the visit too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh gosh no. We have so much catching up to do! They want to be with Tim. It's time to set work aside and focus on each other.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is William going to get to see everyone. He must be excited about everyone coming. I am sure he loves his little cousins and they love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does not know. It is to be a surprise. His aunt is going to walk over and meet him after school. Dylan cannot come until the following weekend. He is in California right now for a conference and to receive an award. His oldest daughter is in school and they are going to take advantage of the holiday to come the first weekend in October. A second surprise for William.

      Delete
  20. My son was Army for 23 years so I know the excitement of kids coming home and grand kids. He is retired now, and his kids are military.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister's youngest boy just retired, and came home. I know that she is in her glory to have all her grands a hop, skip, and a jump away.

      Delete
  21. I’m so happy for you! 🥰Ricki

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know what it's like when my kids come to Hawaii. You are just so amazing, Debby! I just can't get over all you do and all you can prepare for food. Wow! I've gotten super lazy.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...