Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Satisfying Day

 Well, Joanne was sure helpful. I went straight out to our hardware 'stash' and got a package of two ceiling hooks. I can get those mandevilla hung sometime this week. It would be wonderful if I could successfully winter them inside, and it would be the icing on the cake if they bloomed all winter long. Thanks Joanne! (And Granny Sue, I will surely keep you updated on them). 

Remember our tenant with the bat problem? We got a call last night, about midnight. She had another bat! We trekked out down to her house and there he was, flying wildly about her bedroom. He was pretty active and the chase was pretty intense and our tenant was a shrieker. At some point, the bat decided the sensible thing was to exit the premises and he did. Luckily, Tim saw exactly where that access was. We closed it up for the night, and came back home to try to sleep. 

I lay on my side of the bed brainstorming. A good inspection needed to be done. The house is one of the oldest in town and it had old hand hewn wood beams. We even found a very old hatchet tucked up on top of one of them when we removed the ceiling. Those beams were so darn cool that we left them exposed. Their rough uneven texture leave little gaps. Bats don't need much of a gap, so in hindsight, leaving the beams open probably wasn't our greatest idea. The tenant loves them though, and so do we. 

I figured that going along stuffing those little gaps with steel wool would solve the problem. We could then go along and seal it with silicone (bats don't chew). That should keep them out of the house, but now we are left with the problem of figuring where they came in at. We thought we had that solved with the new roof. It has to be the eaves somewhere.

Anyways, I lay awake for quite a while, my mind going batty. I know that Tim was awake for a while too. Since his stroke, his legs jerk and this makes it hard for him to fall sleep sometimes.

We got up early to get William off to school and then got ourselves ready to head down to the new build. We were building the stairs from the basement to the first floor. I am not sure why Tim was having such an awful time with it, but he was. He was also tired and snappish, probably from our lack of sleep the night before. I quit trying to be helpful and backed off. I did some plant stuff. In the end, he came up with his plan and he was not happy with it. We cut the stringers and left it at that. He still had to cut out for the risers and treads. I kept still. 

In the end, we had to leave, because we had an appointment with Paula to work on those beams. 

Albert-the-produce-guy-down-the-road had tomatoes. We always stop to see what he's selling and to pet his dog. I was shocked to see that he had San Marzano tomatoes, beautiful and perfect, for $14 a bushel. Tomatoes are double that in every place that I know of.  We still had a lot to do in our day, so I just bought a half bushel. However, I was able to get them all processed and I have a large pot of spaghetti going, and another of plain stewed tomatoes. I'll go back and grab another half bushel tomorrow. 

I really had not planned to do a lot of food preserving this year. I had a few peppers and tomatoes, but we did not have a garden. I knew that there would be no time with the construction going on. We also need to rethink that situation, since we are having a problem with blight. However, it seems to have been a good year for gardens everywhere else, and when we see good produce deals along the road, we stop and buy. My sister is begging me to help her out with her excess garden bounty. It would be foolish NOT to make use of it. 

I worked in the kitchen. Tim took a nap to make up for the sleep he missed last night. He woke up and came out to the kitchen with a big smile. "I know how to do the stairs!" he said. "I don't know what I was thinking..." He does that. He goes to sleep with a problem on his mind, and wakes up with a solution. It surprised me when we were first married, because I do the same thing. I thought I was the only person who did. Not so. 

I also found time to lift my geraniums out of their concrete urns on the porch and put them in their new pots so that I can bring them inside for the winter. I did pretty well with them last year, which pleased me. They are a brilliant deep red, not the orangey-red like most of the geraniums I see, and I'm very fond of them. They are getting pretty big after two years, and I am eager to see what next year brings. 




21 comments:

  1. Well, bats are in some ways very smart but they're not smart to blunder into a place where they are not wanted,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to solve problems sitting on the bus travelling back to see my mother. I'd just stare out of the window and the answers would pop into my head. So I understand how Tim can come up with solutions while taking a nap. Now he needs to dream about bats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that we're not so unique as we thought.

      Delete
  3. I'm thinking of putting my geraniums down in the cellar which does have large double windows. Glad your day was satisfying, I suppose it is a bit like counting up the negative things that happen in a day and weighing them against the good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year, I put ours upstairs on the landing between the second and third floor in front of a window. It's cool there, and they really survived nicely. I'm putting them there again. It is a bit more of a problem because they might not be able to share the window!

      Delete
  4. Not too much to comment on but I too solve things overnight. In one of our principal city shopping streets a large building has been demolished and I didn't know what the building was. I woke at 4.30 this morning and realised it was the David Jones department store building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems that this is a pretty common talent! How funny! I wonder if everyone does?

      Delete
  5. You must be dreaming of baseball and so you go to bat, as it were, in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, AC....I think you struck out with that one!

      Delete
  6. Debby- you never rest! If you're not building a house, you're canning tomatoes! You truly are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cheat. I simply put my cooked tomatoes into a zip lock bag, vacuum seal them using the water in a big bowl method, and then lay them flat on a cookie sheet and pop them in the freezer. They freeze flat and I can stack them. And yes, the bags are washed and saved.

      Delete
  7. I was thinking that I was amazed you found time to post as you sure are a busy lady. Hope you solve that bat problem so you don't have to keep getting woken up for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually sit down and write a post in the evening. It is my way of unwinding.

      Delete
  8. Good luck with those bats. They can get in the tiniest hole, I read.
    We do the same re problems. Both of us have learned to back away from it, and usually a solution emerges.
    Great price on the tomatoes! Ours blighted badly this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine were so disappointing last year, and our potatoes were sad too. It's time to rethink the garden, and I just didn't have the time this year.

      Delete
  9. I had lots of tomatoes this year but I gave them all away. I realized I didn't have the energy to deal with them and everything else going on.

    It's always satisfying to come up with solutions. I've figured out how to pay down my mortgage faster which made me very happy and took some weight off my shoulders.

    Hope you have a lovely day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paying off our mortgage was one of the high points of our life. There began to be rumblings of a layoff at Tim's work. We began to pour every extra penny we had into the house payment, paying towards the principle. We were able to pay off the house in a couple years, which blew our minds. That was the begnning for us. Once that debt was off the books, we banked that money. Tim was determined never to be financially beholden to an employer again. We used that money to pay cash for our first rental, and we went from there. Good luck Pixie, and I'm sorry that life sucks right now. It will not suck forever. I promise you.

      Delete
  10. We still have lots of tomatoes while most other growers in my circle have shut down due to drought and blight. We haven't had any blight issues this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky you finding San Marzano tomatoes...I grew Roma this year and they have definitely disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like your hunch about the bats and their access points is a good one. I also sometimes fall asleep with a problem and find a solution in the morning. I think a lot of people do that. After all, the expression "to sleep on it" comes from somewhere!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...