Monday, September 4, 2023

I feel Dirty

 Okay. I think of myself as an honest person, but after today, I'm questioning that. 

One of the things that William needs for his bedroom at his mom's house is a desk, and I wanted to price one. Tim wanted to go to the Home Depot. The nearest one is up in New York State. I asked him if we could stop at a store to price desks, and he agreed. 

His bed at his mother's is modern, metal, industrial looking, and I found a desk that was very modern looking. I also found a very cool industrial style metal chair for $30. We loaded them both in the cart. On the way up, he noticed a lamp he wanted, so we tossed that on too. 

At the register, the cashier rang up the chair. She rang up the lamp. Then she tried to ring up the desk. There was no barcode. She called for her manager. The manager came, in no particular hurry. The cashier explained the problem, and the manager picked up the large carton turning it this way and that, before deciding that the cashier knew what she was talking about. The cashier watched impassively, eating her peanut M and M's from a large bag beneath her register. 

The manager said she'd go look and I went with her to show her the display desk with the tagged price. She pointed to a box beneath and said, "This is not the same." I moved the top carton and said, "No, it isn't but these underneath are", pointing out the brand name. This is what we have up front." She agreed, and got the sku from the display tag and came up front, where she called out the number from the tag. The cashier punched them in the register and said, "That's not enough numbers." 

Once again the manager agreed and left, presumably to look the correct number up in some store system. Once again, we stood at the register waiting for her to come back as the cashier munched on her peanut M and M's, ignoring us.  Finally, the manager did return, and she gave the casher the number. She punched it in and gave us our total, "$43." I was confused, but figured that Tim had paid for something while I was back with the manager so that the cashier could continue to ring up other customers while waiting for her manager and I to return. 

Walking across the parking lot, I mentioned that the total had shocked me until I figured out that he'd already paid for part of the order. "No. I didn't," he snapped, "and we are not going back into that store again. They've got a cashier standing there munching away and a manager running around, and if they can't figure it out between the two of them, that's on them. I'm not wasting any more time on it." 

He had a point, but I was still feeling guilty. We put the stuff on the truck. Tim decided he was hungry. I wasn't, not really. I just got a drink and a wrap, and William didn't want anything. The place was not really busy, but they seemed to be struggling in the kitchen.  We were waiting on quickly, but it took quite a while to get our order. They handed Tim the tray. He looked down and said, "We didn't order any fries..." and was told 'keep 'em." He also had ordered a fish sandwich. He got a chicken sandwich with bacon which was much more expensive. He ate, laughing. "I wonder what they will do for us at Home Depot!"

You will not believe this, people. 

Home Depot carried some windows in sizes that our Lowe's at home would have to special order. We wanted a small high window for the bathroom, and we found just what we were looking for. Musing, I said, "You know this would be just the right size for over the kitchen sink too." He was fine with that. So we got two of them. 

Something we'd also discussed is that he thought we did not need a big double hung in the laundry room. He wanted a shorter window. Lowe's hadn't had what he was looking for, but browsing there at the Home Depot, he found what he wanted. I thought it would be fine, and so we laid that on top of our cart as well. 

Tim picked up other things that our Lowe's didn't carry or that were cheaper there. I looked at what they had for plants. William fell in love with a $30 five foot skeleton with glowing eyes (he had the cash at home in his wallet.) Our flat cart was pretty well stacked. 

We got up to the cashier and she began to ring stuff up. She was having all sorts of problems. She was scanning the UPC code instead of the Barcode and the register was beeping wildly.  She was flighty and fast talking, and didn't seem able to understand what she was doing wrong. She called for her manager, and leaned back to wait. I used the silence to try to explain once again. "You're scanning the wrong codes. This is what you need to scan." I pointed it out to her. I pushed the smaller window on top and pointed to the two bar codes. "We've got one of these, and we've got two of these ones, and this is the bar code for those."  

About that time, her manager and another person came walking up. "Hi Damiannnnnnn!" she sang in a very flirty way.

"Hi," he said shortly. 

"We found the bar codes," I said.

"I was scanning these..." she giggled. "We're okay now."

I said, "Did you scan all three windows. You should have two of these and one of that," indicating. 

"Do you want to come train for us?" Damian asked me. 

We were on our way home with a truckload of stuff, several hundred dollars worth, and I was examining the receipt. 

The girl had charged us for three small windows. 

We stared incredulously at each other.  "That's about enough shopping for the day," Tim said. 



46 comments:

  1. Hahahaha you were paid for the privelege of witnessing a good story unfurl. Take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did. I'm nursing my troubled conscience, but Tim is not at all bothered by it.

      Delete
  2. Just can't get the staff these days....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess not. It certainly makes self checkout a lot more attractive.

      Delete
  3. Talk about a buying spree, I bet the skeleton said a lot about it;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob makes no bones about it: When you are buying construction stuff, it almost always involves a truck and many, many dollars.

      Delete
  4. Amazing. Seems like it all was just meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was truly the craziest day we ever had. Quite seriously, we're talking about a pretty big amount of money: $150 or thereabouts. What blew both of our minds is that in both of the store cases, the managers were physically standing there. In the last case, I would hope that the manager was on the ball to realize that a girl who could not figure out the difference between a UPC and a barcode required further supervision and training.

      Delete
  5. You did try to tell them........... seems to me that systems these days are over complicated and staff often too bored to be bothered x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be fairly straight forward. There is a barcode. You scan it. That accesses the stores internal pricing. The only way that it could be a problem is if the code is NOT entered into the store system, or the barcode is missing.

      Delete
  6. When did retail shops appear in the world? One would think that the check out process would now be a smooth process. It seems not quite yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been around a while, but apparently not everyone has noticed.

      Delete
  7. So frustrating, but at least you were compensated for the poorly trained staff working there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim got frustrated at the first store mostly, I think, because he was hangry. He was much more patient at Home Depot, which was interesting, because that's where I was beginning to lose my schnitzel. Three different businesses and three different struggles. Honestly.

      Delete
  8. When they pay peanuts, they get monkeys! Gigi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, at the local Lowe's store (home construction/diy), they got a new manager who promptly fired nearly all the employees. Very low morale for the ones who have managed to hang on to their jobs. In a lot of cases, you are right. The store gets the staff they deserve.

      Delete
  9. Unbelievable. Do they wonder why they are losing money? Or do they make it up by overcharging some people who aren't aware that they paid for three windows but only got one?
    What a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we paid for three windows. It's just that she rang the top window three times. It happened to be the cheapest window. I truly said, twice, that the windows were different.

      Delete
  10. It was your lucky day. I would have gone back to buy more stuff. OK, I'm dishonest too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's funny. Wow. And yet, it's pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like none of the screw ups were your fault ... It was all on the stores! So stop feeling guilty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so good at guilt though!

      Delete
    2. Well, figure out how much money you saved due to the store screw ups and just be happy! 😆

      Delete
  13. And think of that multiplied by many customers..no wonder some stores are having financial problems if they can't work the tills properly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gz, what I really ponder is how these losses are being tallied in the store. Are they labeled as thefts? We hear so much in the media about how much stores are losing due to shoplifting. It really does make you feel as if humanity is at an all time low. Now I find myself questioning those figures and wondering how many thefts can be written off as lazy or poorly trained employees.

      Delete
    2. Or poorly treated employees...as bad or shoddy training is that too..
      Shoplifting is one thing..what is called shrinkage is bigger than most admit..theft by staff at all levels

      Delete
  14. You don't know whether to laugh or cry at these fiascos. It's their problem not yours. So how much did you save in one day. Lowes went broke here and closed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good grief! Well, I wouldn't feel TOO dirty. You paid for it all with your time and patience! Honestly, it makes me fear for the state of education these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is going to get worse, I think. Kids are not learning to focus and attend.

      Delete
  16. Stunning! Run with the bargains. Feel no guilt. Mr. Godsey's Mercantile Market at Walton's Mountain was the last good store that had everything and correct pricing! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  17. Last year, I got $100 in books and a very expensive treadmill for free in similar deals. I felt a bit guilty about both and set money aside should they discover their mistaken refunds, but the feeling has passed and they never did call. I know I just pay for it in higher prices later on but then, I'm not a big consumer so perhaps not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just beggars belief that in both cases, the manager was involved.

      Delete
  18. I would probably feel (a little) guilty too.. but I don’t think you should! I have such mixed feelings about those big stores..kind of like Amazon, isn’t it? 🤷‍♀️-Ricki

    ReplyDelete
  19. You tried! Apparently as well as poor employees, they're finding poor managers and supervisors these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an unbelievable day...like watching lightning strike 3 times.

      Delete
  20. Almost balances out the boot fiasco? Olivia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That did not occur to me before last night, but yes. It does.

      Delete
  21. If I discovered a mistake at the cash, I would probably say something. Not probably, would. But once you're outside, I think it is different.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We once bought a sink, tub, and toilet at Lowes, to be delivered. They brought it when I wasn't home, so Larry signed for it. There was a huge pile of stuff! Two sinks, two base cabinets, a pedestal sink, the wrong tub, and two toilets. I called them several times but they never came to get the extras, or to bring the right tub. We used what we needed and gave away the rest.
    Then when building our log room, we went to a Lowes 60 miles away,, the closest one at the time.. The cashier was having all kinds of trouble. We finally paid and left, and when I looked at the receipt when we got home, I saw that we had paid for 2each of two small items when we only bought one, but only paid for one sheet of beadboard but we got 10! I just let it go, but I do feel guilty every time I look up at the ceiling in our room. It looks great though. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...