Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Touched by the Divine

I once again want to thank everyone for their comments on my post. 

I don't know what the answer is, really. The news is so sickening that I can't bring myself to watch it. I really grieve for the children caught up in horrible situations that they have absolutely no control over. I feel as if I want to do something, but there's nothing really to do. Just add my voice, but if feels like nothing.

In reading over the comments, a lot of things jumped out at me, and when I went to bed, I lay in the dark and pondered these things in my heart. 

I believe that all of us carry a spark of divinity with in us. We may call it different things...God (in all his names)...love...empathy...goodness...humanity...but that spark is there, and people can fan that spark into a great blaze, becoming a gift to the world. Other people ignore the flame, and let it go out. That's not good, and in a way, that is what has happened to me. I stopped looking for the divine in other people. As a result, I was at low ebb. 

It came as a bit of a surprise, and I wondered if perhaps I was being too simplistic, but I made up my mind to look for the divine today.

And so I got up  this morning and I started my search.

Today, a woman came to the house. I had separated a large aloe vera and I have a very large plant left over. I didn't want it, having two potted aloe veras already, so I put out a post on the helping hands site letting the community know that I had a large aloe vera looking for a home. If no one wanted him, I'd throw him in the trash. Immediately, I got a response. A young woman wanted him. I said, "Well that's great because I always feel guilty throwing away healthy plants." She said, "If you ever have plants you don't know what to do with, I'll be glad to have them." 

She came to pick them up and she was such a sweet person. Young. Starting out. She was thrilled with the size of the aloe vera. I gave her three large baby spider plants, a clipping of pothos, and some tradescantia zebrina. She told me her favorite plant at home, I showed her my favorite plant, a huge schefflera I have had for nearly as long as Tim and I have been married. I showed her my great grandmother's Christmas cactus and showed her how to root that. 

It was a short visit, but she was so happy. She offered to bring me a clipping from her striped spider plant tomorrow morning.  (Mine is green.) She walked out the door holding her plants and I felt like that little visit had a touch of the divine.

I had a hair cut today. Last week, I missed my appointment. For whatever reason, I got up thinking the appointment was at 11. I made my coffee and drank it in a leisurely way. When I checked my phone, I was horrified to find the appointment was at 9:30. It was not yet 10 and I was wondering if she still had time to take me. She had just stepped out and wasn't due back until 10:30. I felt like an idiot, but we made another appointment. I apologized when I went in today, but she dismissed it. She was completely unbothered, even thought it was funny. She had tried to call, but had our disconnected land line number. That was a nice visit too, a sharing. A mutual encouraging. I sensed a bit of the divine in that as well.

Levi called, and he needed a ride downtown and then to his brother's house. That's always a nice visit too. He has a fainting goat. I couldn't believe it. I mean the Amish are such practical people. Fainting goats just don't seem to have much of a purpose. "Well...the kids really wanted him, and a neighbor guy was selling her...." 

The man really does love his kids. He's always got a child on his lap or leaning on his arm to talk into his face, and he gives them his full attention. When the girls wanted a playhouse, he built one. He built the swings and the sandbox too. He bought a special jersey cow to make sure the youngest ones have the best milk. It didn't surprise me to hear that his children wanted a fainting goat and so he got one for them. 

But, it turns out that he also had a purpose for that goat. He has it in the pasture with his other goats. He is thinking that if a coyote gets in the pasture, the fainting goat will fall down all stiff legged and distract the coyote. .The other goats will have a chance to get their kids gathered together in the barn, where the horses will make short work of any coyote that dares to come inside.  Oh my gosh. It was so unexpected that I just burst out laughing. He's always thinking. 

Not sure how divine that conversation was, but there was plenty of laughter in the car. 

The sewer problem? That's fixed. They started yesterday, and finished today. They did a good job and took pains to sweep the sidewalks when they were done. We were able to call our tenant and tell her that everything was done and she could move back home. She wasn't expecting that, and was thrilled to  pieces. "I can run the washer? I can use the kitchen sink? I can flush the toilet?" (Yes, yes, and YES.) And let me tell you, the relief of having that behind us is divine, too. 

A friend had a floor lamp she wanted gone. We went over to get it, and had a nice visit with her. It's been so long since I've seen her. Ironically, we both found ourselves stepping back from church at the same time with some of the same questions. She feels like a kindred soul because of it. That visit was touched by the divine as well. 

The 'new' floor lamp meant we now had a extra floor lamp which we were able to give away. 


In my own little corner of the world, I saw today one life impacting another again and again and again. Seek and ye shall find, and I felt my own little spark blazing just a bit brighter. I cannot change the world, and I still grieve that I can't, but I need to be a positive force right where I am.

46 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it and reminding me of how we touch one another, sometimes without realizing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I didn't realize how much I needed to be around people.

      Delete
  2. You may not be able to change the world, but you can make a big difference in people's lives one by one as you help them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are all capable of impacting others.

      Delete
  3. I'm pleased you had such a good day. A good and happy attitude helps, although that can be hard at times.
    I am amazed how quickly the sewer work was done. And that two days work, including all the hire and materials, cost so many thousands of dollars.
    I've not heard of fainting goats. It is worth having more of a look at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that it is a happy attitude. I can't explain it. Just a quiet acceptance that we all can only do what we can do, and that we simply need to keep on doing it.

      Fainting goats are funny to watch, but honestly, his 'justification' was just the funniest thing. I never expected that.

      Delete
  4. You have an unfathomable font of sheer optimism bubbling up Debby. Things often do go right in the end but we are living through dark days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not optimism. It is more like not allowing myself to become part of the darkness.

      Delete
  5. I like your attitude. It makes life easier to bear when you can see the positives everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy to become frozen with horror. I cannot do that. Yesterday was a good lesson. I still see the awfulness, but I need to not be overcome by it.

      Delete
  6. Oh how I wish that you weren't thousands of miles away as I would love to swap plants with you. Every surface of my house is covered in plants! I especially like orchids and succulents....( not spiky cacti!)
    I have a huge spider plant and it's hanging babies are threatening to take over the corner of the room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wanted to try an orchid. But the idea of spending a lot of money on a plant I might kill always stops me.

      Delete
  7. I'm so pleased for you that sparks of joy and light brightened your day. It only takes one little light to brighten a dark corner and somehow it spreads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. The world has never needed light more than it does at this moment.

      Delete
  8. I would like to join your gardening club please Debby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I was, thinking I had joined up with yours!

      Delete
  9. I truly believe that you will always find what you believe you will find. As a silly example, my Hubs likes to park far out in parking lots, all the while grumbling that "someone always parks next to me, and will ding my doors!" and gee, every single time, someone does park next to him, at which he moans and gripes every time! I told him, "You're doing this, so stop looking for it. When I park far out, I never even think of it that way, I like to walk, so that's what I think about. And no one ever parks by me." And they don't! We can be Negative Neds or Positive Patties. This doesn't mean that I don't see the bad stuff, I do. I tend to look rather for the good stuff, and focus on the good that I can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some folks wait, with bated breath, to be wronged. I prefer your thinking!

      Delete
    2. I spent too many years expecting the world to change so I could be ok. (this is how children think) Took me a lot of counseling to heal my wounded inner child and figure out that it's my job to develop the skills to be ok in this world.

      Delete
  10. Very nice follow up post. Despite my comments the other day about all of the horrible things in the world, most of my days are good and most people that I come across are nice. Politics seem to divide us nowadays on social media, tv,etc but in our daily lives we have no idea of what political persuasion people are that we come across and everyone is nice to each other. And we have to remember that we never know what is going on in someone's life and should practice kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I gave up facebook. However, my grandson's meta accounts for his games are attached to my facebook, and so my account kept being reactivated. I gave up deactivating it. It doesn't matter, really. I use it. I get up in the morning and I check for posts from my children. If there are some, I reply to them via messenger, and then I shut it down. I never gave it a thought. Without that social media connection, I have no idea about the politics of any person that I interacted yesterday. Never even gave it a thought. That is a very interesting point. Thanks for making it.

      Delete
  11. Whatever you want to call it, you had a spark and a sparkling day as a result. Good on ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And whatever name I give it, it brought warmth with it.

      Delete
  12. This reminds me that I need to change my focus sometimes. Instead of concentrating on troubles, look for the good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world is in such a state. It really does break your heart, doesn't it? I know this all sounds very simplistic, very Pollyanna. It's not. I cannot explain it well. I still grieve, as much as I ever have. I still cannot bring myself to watch the news. But I just feel this huge relief at feeling any connection at all to this world.

      Delete
  13. I think perhaps that when I do truly make an effort to connect with the people I run into, even if our encounter is so very short, I am looking for that spark. The spark that makes them who they are. I've always loved that. It's rather glorious, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is like a namaste, isn't it? The divine spark in me sees the divine spark in you.

      Delete
  14. I believe the more you dwell on something, the more you draw that "something" to you! Whether it's a negative or a positive ... mentally you choose the path you want to follow! You are choosing the positive and that is the path I have chosen, as well.
    I cannot stand to be around a very negative person for very long!
    Be kind ... Smile often!
    Marcia in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not sure I would want to be in Levi's shoes if his Plan B fainting goat plan comes to fruition. I'm not sure I could explain to my daughters that their pet goat saved the day for my goats by fainting and being eaten by a coyote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how much stock Levi himself puts in that justification? I couldn't stop laughing and just looked on in all seriousness. Was he serious, or having another one of his jokes? We will never know.

      Delete
  16. You are aiming to be kind and do good things and to share.. can't fault anything there xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a step in the right direction. It feels like I am moving. For so long I have felt 'stuck'.

      Delete
  17. You are indeed a positive force in this world. I had to laugh about the goat story! Today at my senior lunch program we shared that one guy had had a mild stroke yesterday, so he is hospitalized and his wife couldn't be there. All the while there's a man who's birthday is today who offered peanut butter fudge to everyone. He's 70 years old. (I remember that year!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave Matthews has a song about that called 'Funny The Way It Is'. It talks about the irony of life, that our very best days always bump up against someone else's very worst day.

      Delete
  18. What a lovely and uplifting post! In response to your previous message: Kindness is my religion, and since I can’t help the whole world I try to help those in my community as best as I can. Random acts of kindness, as well as more specific help, like donating to the food pantry and lending a helping hand when I can. And a smile and a compliment to a stranger! Hugs from Rigmor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindness is a good religion, one we can all subscribe to, regardless of our beliefs or questions.

      Delete
  19. That's the point of Life here on earth, to do all the good we can. If God did everything for us, took care of the needy people, stopped all the wars, then where would our agency, our freedom of choice be? Yes, we can believe in God and His Son, Jesus Christ, and feel the Holy Ghost prompting us to go do good stuff. And that's why there are ten commandments, and why Jesus came to earth to show us a better way to live. Yes, I believe. I'm sure. But everyone gets to choose for themselves - whether they follow the religion they were born in and taught, or whether they hunt around and never settle on any religion at all. Or never know there is such a thing as "religion." God will judge us by what we did with the best of what we knew while living here on earth. Looking for the "divine" is a wonderful way to find that "God Seed" in everyone, even ourselves.
    P.S. Thank you for posting the pizza crust recipe!! Haven't had time to try it yet, but it looks simple enough for me to do. Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting question, but I believe that we can do the right thing even in the absence of catastrophic events. People can be kind and caring without atrocity. I do believe that Christians are completely capable of good work, however, I also acknowledge that the opposite is true. Just as any other population or group. While we may refer to the spark in different words, we are saying the same thing, I think. It is important to see the humanity in each other, by whatever name you call it.

      Funny that you should mention the pizza dough. The recipe makes enough dough for two pizzas. Tim and I never eat two pizzas, and so I take 1/2 the dough and wrap it and toss it in the freezer. The next time that we need pizza, I just grab the dough out of the freezer, unwrap it, and let it thaw and raise in my cast iron fry pan and then roll it out and flatten it for my next pizza. I used the dough from that last batch two nights ago. It was great. I added a good dash of Italian herbs to the dough.

      Delete
  20. What did our mothers' say: it takes more muscles to frown than to smile. So, be nice, be good, be kind. It's easier on the psyche.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a delightful post. Spreading happiness, and finding happiness in every day is surely something which brings out the best in all of us. I am not a religious person (not to say I have no belief but I am not a church-goer). I think religion shines a light on a path to the good (and Godly) but it should not be about control or making people fear if they don't completely comply. Any church acting that way sounds as if religion is the TOOL, not the belief.

    ReplyDelete

  22. There you are, bouncing right back! We all have low places in our lives sometimes, which make us question the why of everything. I try to always find beauty in my day, to see the good in others as much as possible, and to be mindful of all the little things that give joy and meaning to life. Sometimes the bad, sad, and horrible can overwhelm us, especially if we are the noticing, caring kind. Sending hugs, Debbie, and remember you are not in this crazy life alone. Heads up, and on we go.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a nice, hopeful post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think you're on to something! I like the idea of actively looking for the Divine.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm glad that sewer mess is cleared up. And it's great you were able to find a new home for your plants! I'd like to give away some of ours, truth be told. I should try Freecycle.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...