Friday, February 16, 2024

Celebrating Valentine's Day

We delayed our Valentine's Day 'celebration' until the 15th. They were finishing up the concrete work at our little house down the street, and Tim is always very interested in concrete work. He wanted to watch them at work, see what they did, pick up some new techniques. 

We also know that this fix is going to be extremely expensive. I cashed out a small 401K and that money is in the bank, but we don't know if it will be enough, so it makes sense to be frugal right now. Between Tim's medical bills and the new build, which we are (so far) funding as we go, to avoid incurring debt. We are both about to turn 67 and we believe in living debt free. 

We mutually decided to skip any February 14th nonsense. He used to buy roses, but really, it is something that always made me feel bad. They are expensive and die so quickly. Chocolates? I sure don't want them. I've lost 10 pounds since the beginning of the year. I've been very disciplined about this, and I'm pretty proud of that. I still bake cookies for Tim every week, but I don't eat them. He has some Reese's cups in the freezer. I think he has forgotten he has them. I see them every time that I open the freezer door, but for whatever reason, I'm perfectly able to shut the freezer door without grabbing one. So no. Don't bring me any chocolates, thanks. I was really clear on that. 

We were headed to Erie for a therapy appointment for Tim on the 15th and so we decided that we'd just stop at two thrift stores on the way home. A friend was trying to get rid of a lamp she'd bought, a 6 ft tall floor lamp. She loved it when she saw it at an auction. When she brought it home, it just looked out of place in her perfectly decorated house. 

I said we'd take it. We have a floor lamp in the corner of the our livingroom, behind the glass topped steamer trunk that serves as an end table between the two couches. It does not give off enough light but the chandelier in the center of the room is very bright. I'm a lot like Goldilocks. 'This light was toooooo dim....this light was tooooooo bright...this light is juuuust right....'

And picky-pants me justified it with 'oh look...we were able to give the old floor lamp away to someone who was happy to get it. '

And while it was right, light-wise, she had a shade on it that is too small for the massive size of it. I'm not even sure it should have a lamp shade. I think it is a torchiere. To be honest, I woke up in the dead of night, with the conviction that I'd seen that sort of light before. In a funeral home, usually in sets of two, one at each end of the coffin. 

Anyways, so for Valentine's Day, we needed to figure out what we were going to do with that light, and as per usual, we hit up the thrift stores first. We did not find what we needed. We stopped at Tim's favorite diner on the way home. 

And that was our celebration. It suited us just fine, even if we did not find what we were looking for, 

I did have to go out on Valentine's Day.  It made me smile to see huge roughneck bearded burly men with their giant stuffed teddy bears and gorillas and their boxes of chocolates. They were everywhere, crossing the parking lot, holding their balloons and stuffed animals and flowers, getting into well used vehicles. That is sweet, isn't it?

We are off to work on the new build today. It is cold, but thank goodness the wind has died down. Last night it was so strong it sounded like heavy traffic on the street. We will be working on the inside. We have plenty of work to keep us busy until the end of the month without buying more supplies. 

15 comments:

  1. I started celebrating Monday, before the rush, by buying my wife a bouquet of lilies, her favorite flowers. I've never bought her a rose in all these years. Perhaps tomorrow, we will go out for a meal to finish the celebration. I like avoiding the masses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your celebration was perfect, just the kind I like. We rarely do anything for Valentine's Day, but this year because it's the 40th anniversary of our engagement (I proposed on Valentine's Day 1984), we blew it out with dinner downtown and the symphony. We'll do it again if we make it ten more years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharing all that you do, not including chocolates and roses, definitely illustrates the love between you (though of course at times there are clashes!) Keep up the house build, a wonderful pursuit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You comment about the torchiere really made me laugh.
    I agree, seeing the soft side of big, roughy-toughy men is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Show us the lamp! Inquiring minds want to know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ran into a grocery store on Feb 13 to pick up a small cake for a birthday. The front of the store was stacked with boxes of candy and buckets of roses. And all the check outs at 5 pm were lines of men with flowers and candy. I was a little confused, but grateful my husband was not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any gift-giving event is difficult for me. I always feel as if my husband is giving me gifts because he thinks he's supposed to. He says it's because he wants me to know he loves me. I tell him that I DO know he loves me. It's all so confusing.
    But when he goes to a thrift store with me, I know for sure he loves me. He's not that excited about them and after a few minutes, he finds a chair and patiently waits for me to finishing nosing about.
    And yes! I love seeing guys buying sweet things for their loves. Why does that charm our hearts so?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to see the lamp. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a quiet giggle about the torchiere as well. I think maybe American men are better than English men for buying stuff for their wives on Valentine's day. An awful lot of red roses go to waste here after the 14th.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why don't you start your own carboot- Trash and Treasure sale Debby?

    ReplyDelete
  11. A nice celebration! Ours was simple too. Larry bought me carnations, I bought him a tiny box of chocolates at the Dollar Tree.
    The burly men, of yes! I love seeing their glazed look as they try to decide what to do. A friend once stationed herself by the flowers at Walmart, and talked to these men and they were so grateful for her advice on what to choose for their lady. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Getting the right thing for the right place isn't always easy!
    Good that you can still get progress indoors while the weather is unfriendly outside

    ReplyDelete
  13. We did a Hearts Day celebration at home with dinner by candlelight and wine, of course. No flowers were bought or candy as we also both do not need it (congrats on your weight loss). There were card echanges as we tend to overdue on those, but thank goodness for the Dollar Tree selections (and cost).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a couple of lamps I use as torchieres; They have goose neck bulbs I aim at the ceiling. I get more light from them reflecting back than them the ceiling fixtures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We didn't do anything on the day, but we had a family dinner on Monday and went out for a burger today. I didn't even make a card, which I usually do.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...