Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Strange Day

 We headed out a little earlier than usual this morning. We were picking up Levi and his brother in law (also named Levi) and his sister Clara to take them to visit poor Ruben in the hospital in Erie. Tim had his regular therapy appointment, so it was an easy enough thing to do. 

Poor Clara looked frazzled. She got home last night and was heading back today. She will stay overnight with her husband once again, and hopefully the two of them will be back home some time tomorrow. 

The weather has been changeable. Last night, I woke up in the night to thunder. This morning it was so mild it felt like spring. By the time we got to Erie, it was 60 degrees! We dropped the three of them off and headed off. We had a bit of time to kill, and so Tim bought a donut. We wandered through an outdoor store They had shirts on clearance for $74.95 and canvas slip on shoes marked down to $84.95! Tim and I enjoyed the wander, but we knew right off that this was not our kind of store. 

We went to Tim's appointment and noticed that the wind had picked up noticeably. By the time we finished, it was freezing. The temperature dropped 24 degrees in less than 4 hours!

Despite all that, Tim did some pricing. We are looking at a 'new to us' car. The transmission in his has bitten the dust and the old car is not worth the repair. It was so cold though, and so wickedly windy which made everything that much worse.

By then it was time to pick up Levi 1 and Levi Too from the hospital. As it was about 1, we stopped at a Burger King to humor the two Levis. The weather was looking dicey enough that we all just wanted to get our food and head out of town as quickly as possible. While we waited, I saw two Amish in a booth. Joking, I said, "Oh, look! Cousins!" The two Levis made a beeline to introduce themselves. 

Turns out the two men were from Spartansburg. They were speaking Pennsylvania Dutch, but Levi said later that the murder of the young mother was not unwitnessed. Her four year old son saw, and was old enough to relay what he saw to the police. Combined with the vehicle information, I hope that it is solved quickly. That poor child, though. 

The community has come together for the family, and there is a reward being offered. 

It is still cold and windy and fierce out, but by Friday, the temperatures will once again be up in the 50s. 

Roll on spring! 

36 comments:

  1. It looks like your weather is rolling and rolling quickly. Those fast weather changes are only supposed to happen in chinook country...my country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you can keep your chinooks up there, thank you very much. I thought we were going to blow away. (Not hyperbole~!)

      Delete
  2. We had that roller coaster weather here in Michigan. Temp high in Detroit was, I think, 72, and broke all records. The low last night after rain and tornadoes in Marshall and Grand Blanc, dropped 46 degrees to a low of 26. Right now, it is 23.F. We always think of Amish communities as being so peaceful and charming and then some outsider goes it and spoils it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was crazy. It was 66 degrees in Erie yesterday. Broke records for them as well. We were in the low 60s. We woke up and it was still very nice (not as warm as all that, but in the 50s. By the time that we got home it was in the 20s. But that drop in those four hours was shocking.

      Delete
  3. You've had some quite warm weather, but of course nothing to do with global warming.

    You had quite a interesting day by the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing at all. I can't even see why you're bringing it up...

      Delete
  4. This is my second read of a blog this morning after being largely absent for a few weeks. It's also the second one not showing the world at its best (which is the most polite way I can express it). I'm beginning to dislike humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beginning???? I've been struggling with my doubts for a while. You are a better person than me, Graham.

      Delete
  5. Oh that poor child......I wonder if he will remember it for the rest of his life or mercifully his age will let him forget?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I thought about that. I remember things clearly from when I was four. This might be such a traumatic thing that he winds up blocking it out. I don't know, but my heart goes out to the little guy.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Sure was. It is gray today, but the wind has stopped. At some point it is supposed to begin warming up again.

      Delete
  7. I hope the murderer will be found. Poor child!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That poor little boy. What kind of sick person not only murders a pregnant woman, but also does it in front of her child?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have some ideas. It's one of those things that I'm afraid to speak of because the police are not releasing details. But I really hope they figure things out quickly.

      Delete
  9. Good God, I hope the memory of that will fade for the child. So young to have such a brutal traumatizing wound. Do the Amish believe in counseling or therapy I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure. That's an interesting question.

      Delete
  10. We had that temperature drop too along with flash freeze warnings. I hope the roads are good for we have to drive out of town shortly. Should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got snow on the ground here now, but it is supposed to start warming up again. Tomorrow and the weekend are supposed to be nice.

      Delete
  11. Here in Toronto we had that same day, thunder, lightning warm temperature and pissing down rain and high winds, so weird for this time of year. I hope the information given by the little boy will help to catch the murderer of his mother. So sad. The whole world seems in turmoil. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so as well. It is just an awful thing to think on.

      Delete
  12. I can't imagine why you didn't buy two of those shirts at the marked down price! So good that you could provide rides, and link to lunch choice for your friends. Is it assumed an outsider was the murderer? I do. I agree with everyone's thoughts/feelings about the 4 year old witness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know, I have been kicking myself ever since.

      Delete
  13. I have a feeling they will find that murderer and it will not go well for them.
    You certainly are on the weather roller coaster! And if course, it will arrive at spring pretty soon.
    It shouldn't but it cracks me up so much to think about Amish wanting to eat at Burger King. I realize that this is only because of preconceived notions but it still does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The running joke is that Levi 1 gets mean when you don't feed him. The first time that I said 'hangry', I thought they both would fall over laughing. Anyways, he does love cheese burgers. So whenever he shows grumpiness, someone says, "Quick! Throw a cheeseburger at Levi." Just to further shatter your illusions, he is a great fan of Little Caesar's pepperoni pizza as well.

      Delete
  14. Sounds like it calmed down before hitting you. Tuesday, we lost 40 degrees in four hours and 60 degrees in 12 hours. Considering windchill with the 50 mph winds, it felt like a nearly 80 degree difference in 12 hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine being in the middle of all that flat makes things a bit more dramatic. Erie is much flatter, geographically because of their proximity to the lake. The winds there were crazy bad. By the time we got back to 'hill country', the winds were still bad (Levi lives at the top of a hill), but not quite so violent as they were in Erie. We had trouble walking across a parking lot.

      Delete
  15. That DOES sound like a bizarre day. That poor child, indeed! I hope he's young enough that he doesn't remember everything long-term. (But I'm pretty sure I have memories from when I was a four-year-old.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that I do. But the mind sometimes blocks out traumatic events.

      Delete
  16. Well that is definitely a different type of day. A lot going on but all I can think about is that poor child. Tragic and terrible. Take care and good luck with the car shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Poor child indeed.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...