Saturday, December 23, 2023

You be the Judge

On my last post, Anvil Cloud commented: 

"Ludicrous means something is silly enough to cause amusement. Ridiculous means it's absurd enough to invite mockery or derision. Ludicrous has a more playful and amusing sense than ridiculous. You probably already knew these two words can be used to describe something that's nonsensical or silly."

I offer up this story for your consideration.

Yesterday, I bustled around. I had the sloppy joes going in the crock pot. I had looked up a recipe that I was going to use to make the corn pudding and had it saved on my phone. I was cleaning house, vacuuming, and gathering up the debris from wrapping Christmas gifts, putting the kitchen to rights, etc. 

Tim, on the other hand, stayed out of the house. He was pricing some electrical components and he was going to pick up the Christmas gift I had taken him by the hand and led him to, helpfully pointing it out, telling him that he could pick the pattern/color, and explaining the size I needed. 

Anyways, I got all my work done at about the same time Tim returned home. I was going to assemble the corn pudding and pop it in the oven while I did my hair, etc.

When I went to grab my phone, I was unable to find it. Impatiently, I said, "Tim, I've misplaced my phone. Can you call me?" He came into the hall where my irritated self was. He called. My phone began ringing. It was someplace in the hall. I looked all over. I could not find it. 

He said, "Where did you leave it? You called me just a bit before I came home." 

I said, "I was in the livingroom. I was standing right here by the couch." 

We both looked around. 

He said, "I was sitting right there. I didn't see it..."

He called the number again. 

The phone was ringing in the livingroom. 

"For pete's sake. It sounds like it is right here!" I said, But it wasn't. 

When the call went to voicemail once again, he wandered out into the kitchen and called my number. When my phone rang in the kitchen, I followed him. "Let me see your phone!" 

He had his own phone. 

"This doesn't make sense!" I said. He went outside to try calling my number. Inside the house, I heard nothing. Tim said, "My phone is ringing your ringtone."

"How can that even be?" we wondered aloud. 

"Craziest thing!" he said. 

Impatiently, I said, "I haven't got time for this nonsense. I headed to the computer to bring up the recipe I needed. 

I was writing everything down when I heard Tim said, "Look what I found!" 

Preoccupied with the task at hand, I said, "You found my phone?"

"I did, and you'll never believe where it was!"

"Where's that?" I asked, finishing up and turning around in my chair. 

"In my pocket," he answered.

We stared at each other and laughed ourselves stupid. (To be fair, it didn't seem as if it required all that much laughing to reach that point.)

What would you call that: Ludicrous or ridiculous? Cast your votes in the comment section.

It is two days before Christmas. I walked down the street to deliver one last gift and card. One of the stories that we have had the priviledge to be privy to this year, is a young single woman who has overcome a great deal of adversity in her life. She has a quiet life working for a preschool program here in town. She is a good, good soul, quietly determined. We love her.

She came to us with a question early last year. She needed her landlord's permission to apply to take in a foster child. 

She got our permission immediately.

In unbelievably short order, she had a baby girl in her home. 

It has been sweetness to witness that lovely story unfold. We haven't met the child yet, but in a strange twist of fate, we know the other side of the story too. That is a lucky little girl. That young woman has intervened in a very unfortunate set of circumstances. 

I walked down our street in the dark, admiring the Christmas trees in the windows of the houses, thinking of all the tiny happy stories in this huge unhappy world, the small stories that bless anyone who witnesses them. How lucky we are to be on the sidelines of this one. 

I put the small package and the card in her mailbox and I walked back home. 

43 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ah. Said with authority. I will not argue. :)

      Delete
    2. I should also add that it's pretty much the same scenario that Allison and I go through trying to locate one of our phones (usually mine) upon returning home. Problem most often rectified by calling mine to locate. Happy Christmas!

      Delete
  2. You all are a comedy of clowns! At least the phone story demonstrates such! There are so many mis-ups these days as we all stress to prepare things for our loved ones for a holiday. I'm sorry to say I've seen the opposite kind of reaction, that of high anger at oneself when something didn't go right. All shall be well, has become my mantra these days (Julian of Norwich or the other historical nun who's name escapes me, said as much.) All shall be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't stress much anymore. I've given myself the priviledge of simply acknowledging that I'm not everyone's cup of tea. I love the people that love me. I let the others go. They come around if they want. If they don't, I wish them well. That has removed a lot of stress in my life.

      Delete
  3. the phone issue was pretty funny. I bet it will be a while before that happens again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoo boy. I would not put money on it, Red. Most of our phone calls are to each other, and most of the time, those calls are people trying to find their phone. Sad but true.

      Delete
  4. It would depend on whether one of you was mocking the other or yourselves. I would tend toward ludicrous although both could fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was meant as a joke. I was giving you all the opportunity to laugh or to mock our stupid selves.

      Delete
  5. I submit a new word for consideration: HILARIOUS. Soooo, consider adding "vibrate" to your phones. It makes me realize I'm really getting a text or call. I think some of us could use a necklace or lanyard to hang our cells phones on. In the olden days, we knew where the phone was: we had to get up from the living room chair, and walk into the hallway where the one phone was ON THE WALL. Lovely little miracle stories in your neighborhood. Have a Merry, Hilarious Holiday, Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep trying to remember what I was losing before we had phones to lose. I mean, really, there must have been something!

      Delete
    2. The car keys were lost in the olden days. And there were two keys: one for the ignition and one for the trunk lid and locked glovebox. Linda in Kansas

      Delete
    3. *thinks* yup. That was it. Keys.

      Delete
  6. Hilarious, and sounds so like my husband and myself. Growing old together has proven to be more challenging than sentimental, for us, anyway. We are ludicrous. Your post really brightened my day❤️ thanks, Linda sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly spend a lot of time looking at each saying, "Huh. I'll be damned..."

      Delete
  7. I'm not very pedantic about words, so probably would have used funny. Ludicrous or ridiculous words seem too far along the scale. Have a Happy Christmas with your family. (And don't get screwed up by words;) X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wasn't hung up at all. I was just letting you all decide if you were going to mock the participants or simply laugh right along with us.

      Delete
  8. Oh, that's the best story ever, about your young neighbor getting a child! Makes my heart happy. I vote for ludicrous myself! Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are hopeful that ultimately she will be able to adopt the child.

      Delete
  9. So funny, Debby! Those cell phones cause us to do all sorts of nutty things!
    A lovely story about your sweet neighbor!
    Merry Christmas to you and Tim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sigh* these modern conveniences can be quite inconvenient, can't they?

      Delete
  10. Ludicrous and ridiculous and totally something that would happen in this house.
    Thank you for telling us that sweet story. THAT is a Christmas story. THAT is joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me feel better to hear things like this happen to others.

      Delete
  11. HA! That's so funny, about your phone. I thought you were going to say it was in YOUR pocket.

    I think I use ludicrous and ridiculous pretty much interchangeably, and apparently that's wrong. I appreciate AnvilCloud pointing out the distinction! (Even though I'll probably forget it.)

    Thanks for the happy Christmas story. We all need more of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. We have a saying here. "Dumb de dumb dumb..."

      Delete
  12. As I tend not to mock other people, I would go with ludicrous. But it left me hanging as to how it ended up in Tim's pocket to begin with.

    My spouse is always leaving her phone in random spots forcing us to do the call thing to locate. Fortunately for both of us, she has never left it in my pocket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was sitting on the couch. He must have absentmindedlt picked it up and put it in his pocket. Neither of us have cases, but his is a completely different hefts. Mine is thinner. I am surprised that he mistook it.

      Delete
  13. Well, that was just fun without being excessively so!
    Happy Christmas Eve!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd probably just laugh and say y'all were crazy! I tend to keep my phone on silent (with no vibration) most of the time, so if I misplace it, I just have to search until I find it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is our worst nightmare: losing a phone on silent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Season's greetings to you and all your family, hilarious and otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you and miss kitty! If we are lucky, we won't lose anything else between now and tomorrow.

      Delete
  17. Hilarious, definitely funny !

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are such a fine raconteur, and you tell a ludicrous story well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wishing you a peaceful and quiet day and last week of this year and the hope it will continue into 2024! 🕊️

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a sweet story about a lucky little child! 🥰Xo, Ricki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are holding our breath. I hope she will be able to adopt that child.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

More about Fashion (a topic I know little about).

 While we are on the subject of fashion, I have to tell  you, when I read about this, I thought for sure that it was one of those bogus news...