Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Lost Cat

A woman moved out across the street after an especially angry confrontation with another woman in her building. I made a point of asking her about 'Louie', a feral cat she had been taking care of. I wanted to know if he was going with her or whether I needed to keep an eye out for him. 

She said, "Something happened to him. He just disappeared over the summer."

I got a little shiver, because the same thing happened with Sandy, another little cat across the street. He was a feral, but his keeper had a heated house for him on his front porch and kept him well fed. Then, one day, Sandy was gone, and Mark couldn't understand it. 

I haven't seen Mangey around, but I had thought maybe his owners had a change of heart and decided to take care of their cat. 

Houdi is an inny outy, and that was not my plan but he got kind of ornery about it. I didn't like it, but found it reassuring that he seemed to hang very close by. Within earshot. He came when I called, and now that it's getting cold, he's much happier inside. We had a sunny day after a day of hard rain and he asked to go out. I let him and didn't think anything more about it. 

He was back at the door and I was cooking supper, so I just let him ni and did not pay attention. At bedtime, I got his customary can of catfood and called. He did not come. I went looking for him and found him curled up under the computer desk, way back in the corner. There was something not right. 

He's sick. Really sick. 

Even worse, now he's gone. He's secreted himself somewhere in this big house and I can't find him anywhere. I've looked and looked. 

It's been a worrisome day and I'm sick about this. I also noticed that my long haired goblin cat that peers in the back door hasn't been around for a couple days. 

I think someone is poisoning cats. 

29 comments:

  1. Is he worthy of a trip to a vet? If they do a blood test, can they tell if he has been poisoned and by what? He really is William's kitty, you know. Who in your neighborhood within kitty wandering distance would do such a dastardly thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is that he is a very good hider. Whatever he has gotten into, it had nearly a day to work. He came out of hiding but he is very quiet. I slept on the couch with him last night to keep an eye on him. He lays quietly and loves his chin scratches. He is certainly worth a trip to a the vet, but I am not sure it matters at this point. He seems comfortable. Quite strangely, he has gone from hiding to looking for me. He wants to be close.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad he came out of hiding. That seems like a good sign.

      Delete
    3. I’m so glad! I was worried he might not…

      Delete
  2. Oh dear. I hope there is a happy ending but prepare yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It happens here too. There are lots of cats, not feral though, that are always out and about in all the gardens., which can be very annoying to the non cat lovers. We get quite a few here using our garden as a toilet but I would never think of poisoning them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sad. People are horrible sometimes. Cats always hide when they're ill - instinct, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no - how dreadful. We lost our little lad Tippy, only a year or so old, when the Gamekeeper on the farm along the track put out poisoned meat for foxes. Still breaks my heart to think of him at the end. I hope you can find Houdi and that the vet can help him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Might want to report your suspicions to the police. If someone is baiting them, they could be killing non-feral cats and dogs and wildlife. The possible vet trip could help determine what's happening. Maybe calling the local humane society could provide some help. Drats. Evil people seem to be lurking everywhere. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our closest neighbor always gets these small, untrained, loudly barking at the slightest thing, little dogs. They allow it to wonder out in the street barking and chasing walkers and people driving by as well as roam other people's lawns. I think since we moved in here, they are on their third or fourth such creature. I suspect similar fates have happened to them because whenever I politely ask after a profound silence for several days, their dog is either missing, or got sick and had to be put down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If someone is poisoning cats, then they're truly despicable human beings. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry. I hope he recovers. There is a special place in hell for people that hurt animals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've know of cats being poisoned with either rat poison or antifreeze and it is horrible. With antifreeze they seem to be getting better at first, but deteriorate rapidly. I don't understand how anyone can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. He does seem better today but it is no comfort. If it is antifreeze, kidney failure will happen within hours. If it is antifreeze, the chances of him surviving were very small even with extensive medical intervention. By the time he was showing symptoms, it was too late. Add his day of hiding on top of it there is really nothing to be done besides keeping him comfortable and cuddled. I really want to be hopeful but I am having a hard time.

      Delete
  11. Absolutely horrible! I am so very sorry to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I hope not. I second what Drum Major said above -- I'd report your suspicions, especially if you get more evidence that's what's happening. Surely it's illegal to poison domestic animals, or even feral ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not realize a neighbor had threatened to kill another neighbor's dog. Interesting to me that I have never seen the dog off leash. He swears that the dog defecates in his yard. He is known for never cleaning up after his own dog. Who knows what is going on there, but she said that he gets very angry about all animals besides his own, and she suspects him. It is something to keep an eye on, but I would have to prove it.

      Delete
  13. Oh no!! That’s so upsetting to even think about😿Hope it’s not true… xo, Ricki

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's terrible. There are much better ways to deal with cats. I am sorry to hear that someone thinks this is acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also think a report to the police is warranted. Poisoning animals is sickening and if definitely can harm wildlife. It may be illegal. Perhaps if police post something it would put people on alert and maybe scare the perpetrator. Whoever is doing this is truly despicable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They would not post anything because they have no proof that poisoning is happening. It would not be something that would be investigated. It just wouldn't be.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debby, I hope Houdini has not suffered poisoning and pulls through a terrible gastric upset. Keep us up to date, OK?

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

More about Fashion (a topic I know little about).

 While we are on the subject of fashion, I have to tell  you, when I read about this, I thought for sure that it was one of those bogus news...