Thursday, December 7, 2023

Quiet Day

 First things first. Houdi did come out of hiding last night after I went to bed. I was laying in bed, unable to sleep. I felt pretty badly. I mean, if he was suffering, I had no way of knowing and the thought of that was hard to take. 

After trying not to toss and turn and keep Tim up, I finally got the bright idea to come out and check the patient portal to see if the results of Tim's blood test were in, so I slipped out of bed and headed to the office. I turned on the light to get his medical information out of the filing cabinet and got the shock of my life. Houdi was curled up against the wall under a chair that I use to hold a large plant. 

I dropped to the floor and reached under to pet him, and encouragingly, he began to purr. I picked him up and he did not resist, so I came out to the couch and curled up with him. He slept on my lap all night and I watched trash television and dozed. It was such a relief to know that he was not in horrible pain tucked away in some hidden place. 

This morning he went down to use his litter box. He's still unsteady, but he asked for and got breakfast and I was so relieved that he got the whole can of catfood. He ate and returned to his bowl throughout the day. I'd like to be able to say that we are out of the woods on this, but we aren't. 

If this is antifreeze poisoning, this is the way it goes. They are sick on day one, improve on day two, and go into kidney failure on the third day.

 I realized that he was sick at bedtime Tuesday, and then he disappeared for nearly all of Wednesday. I couldn't find him to take him to the vet, but realistically, it would have been too late anyway. By the time that they are showing symptoms, there is a just small chance of saving them. 

He came out sometime after we went to bed Wednesday. He's not well now, but he's much improved. That also fits in with the antifreeze poisoning. They improve, and there is that false sense of relief.  

A predictable path. 

The best case scenario is that this is not antifreeze. That he got into something and is getting better. We will know by tomorrow. I can promise you though that if this is the worst thing, we'll take him to the vet to be euthanized if we see that he is suffering, and it makes me cry to type it. 

If it sounds like I consider myself an expert on this, well, actually, I do. We dealt with this when we lived in Baltimore Maryland 35 years ago. His name was Homer and he was a huge, old scarred street cat. We adopted him, and he was a lovey, but like most strays, he was not content to spend 100% of his day inside.  Our vet was kind, but he gave it to us straight. 

So, today was a quiet day for me. I spent the day inside loving on a cat. He can't get on the couch by himself, but he is walking around the house. He is going up and downstairs. He is eating and drinking and using his litterbox. 

Inspired by Ms. Moon, I spent some time in the kitchen and put together a chicken pot pie for supper. It was a pleasant way to spend a couple hours in the morning, chopping up the onion, celery, and carrots and the chicken, sauteeing it, seasoning it just right and then simmering it to make a good broth. It cooled while I did the dough. 

Tim is thrilled to death that I've set my new cookbook aside. All the new flavors and new dishes. He's rarely a fan. He tries to be, I'll give him credit. 

This week, he's been treated to regular  porkchops browned in butter and rosemary and then baked in the oven at a low temp. Venison chops with peppers and onions and simmered on the stove top until they are tender in a wonderful gravy. Barbecued chicken. Every meal with his favorite side dish in all the world: mashed potatoes. 

He was filled with praise for that pot pie tonight. He's a plain man with plain tastes and this is what makes him happy: the food he already knows. 

He hunted today, and did not see hide nor hair of his 10 point. Whe he got home tonight, he got the sad report from my brother-in-law. He was walking with his grandson and found it dead. It looked to have been hit by a car and managed to get itself down into the swamp and died. 

The circle of life. 

I've checked a couple times today and his blood tests results are not posted yet. That means we'll probably won't know the results until Monday at the earliest Just realized it is Thursday, not Friday! Maybe tomorrow!

We talked quietly and kindly to each other and to our sick cat, and wait to see what happens next. 

We went to William's winter concert tonight. He was very excited about it and one of the pieces they were doing. 


I can see why. 

It made for a nice evening out, barbarians and all. 


37 comments:

  1. Gosh, maybe it's something the cat can recover from, but a trip to the vet to learn more might help. Not sure sending the cat to hubby's doc for blood results would help... What a funky theme for a Christmas Santa at the concert. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since he is a drummer, he got to thunder 'ho ho ho!' In an ominous voice.

      Delete
  2. Oh poor Houdi! I feel so bad for you. Please don't let be anything more than a virus. All my kitties have been strictly indoor cats since I was divorced 36 years ago. I couldn't handle any more losses in my life and managed to keep the little critters indoors all the time and sometimes it was a battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ana, yesterday he went to the door and meowed to go out. He was told no. He spent the day rushing to the door every time he I heard it open. Luckily, he is slower than usual. If he gets better, it will be quite a struggle.

      Delete
  3. A cat wouldn't deliberately drink anti-freeze would it? So it means it was forced down the cat's throat deliberately. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping for Houdi...and Tim xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that all results are good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so hope that there is good news about Houdini tomorrow. I had cats for many years....only the last one of the 6 was kind enough to die quietly at home of old age, one got run over , and the other 4 were PTS. On my second dog now so didn't replace the last cat! Also hoping that there is positive news for Tim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the good news is that he jumped up to sit beside me all by himself.

      Delete
  7. I hope Houdi has not been poisoned, it is a cruel thing to do to pet cats and feral ones as well. Good wishes for Tim as well, waiting is a dreadful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, in the middle of this, both Tim and I have been looking for the stray cat who comes to the back door. We haven't seen him since this all began and it makes me sad.

      Delete
  8. Hoping that Houdi recovers and that Tim's results come through today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like the others, wishing you good news on kitty and hubby….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Houdi played a little this morning and is curled up with his head on my arm. His meow sounded normal.

      Delete
  10. I so hope Houdi is better today and continues to improve. I'm also sending my best wishes for Tim's news. Waiting is so hard.

    Does William play an instrument?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've crossed all my fingers. It was very difficult to type this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many years agos I had a big cat called Harry. He weighed 18 lbs and wasn't fat. He disappeared for a few days and finally came back, looking rough. He'd been in a fight and had a small wound but it was a puncture wound and had become infected. I took him to the vet for antibiotics but for a few days I had to carry him to his litter box, to his food, to his bed and so on. He recovered thankfully.
    I hope Houdi recovers. Cats tend to disappear when they're sick, a protective mechanism I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know while I was holding him all night, I was looking for injuries. A broken bone. Anything. I was hoping to find anything that could explain it.

      Delete
  13. Hoping for good news about Tim and your cat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ditto what other have already said, just want to add my two cents worth to good wishes for Tim and kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It makes me happy to think of you making your chicken pot pie. The one I made has fed us for days.
    Of course I hope the best for Houdini- they don't say that cats have nine lives for nothing. He has crept into your hearts.
    And may Tim's numbers be the good numbers! We are all thinking of you both. You know that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hopefully you receive some good news on a couple of fronts today Debby. I'll keep your family, pets included, in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If it was antifreeze or something else noxious, I'd like to make the perpetrator drink it. Well, I like the thought of it in passing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thinking of you, Tim, and Houdi. Give sweet Houdi a few chin & head scritches for me. Here's to a quiet, restful, healing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't begin to tell you how much I want Houdini to be ok. Fingers crossed here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Years ago, we had a big tom cat that was inside most of the time but liked to lay in the sun on the porch sometimes. One day he was gone when I opened the door to let him in. We looked but never found him. He was gone about three months and one day I opened the door and he meowed and walked in. He looked well cared for, so he had lived with someone I think or held captive with someone. He walked to where his food and water had always sat and looked at me like where are the bowls and then to the room where his litter box was and again looked like you didn't think I would come back and need these things. When we had him, he was allowed to sleep on the couch, bed or wherever he wanted. When he came back, he would not get on the furniture or sleep in the bed with us for a time. Someone had him I think and taught him new rules. He soon was just a spoiled cat again and was an inside cat unless we were going to ride, he loved to ride in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Crossing my fingers for both Tim and Houdini! I so wish for a more relaxed end of the year for you all- and for the coming year, of course! big hugs! Xo, Ricki

    ReplyDelete
  22. Santa the Barbarian is right up there for any concert band, I'm sure.
    I had a cat recover from anti freeze poisoning. Actually young, maybe a year old. She dragged herself home and was prostrate on the back deck when the children got home from school. Straight to the vet and he advised putting her down. But he sent me home with my girls and he kept her because she was purring. I got regular updates on her. She basically relearned how to live. How to stand, how to walk. How to eat. The vet was simply fascinated. Eventually I got her back.
    And finally to say, I hope Houdini can recover from whatever ails him.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah -- I just left a comment on your subsequent post asking about a vet, but I see you've already addressed that possibility. I'm hoping this proves to be something else and not antifreeze. Fingers crossed.

    That's a shame about the deer.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

More about Fashion (a topic I know little about).

 While we are on the subject of fashion, I have to tell  you, when I read about this, I thought for sure that it was one of those bogus news...